CTE PRO 1: My review.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Two months ago, I ordered Stan Shuffett's DVD2. Prior to the purchase I had stumbled upon Stan's postings on this forum as well as youtube. I was very intrigued by this aiming system because he would call out the visuals and sweeps before shooting a ball and he was incredibly accurate and consistent. I wanted to learn more. After two months of watching the DVD's and putting the lessons into practice at the table, I am convinced that this ball-pocketing system absolutely works!
I was a feel/contact point aimer for a long time. Great sometimes, but inconsistent for the most part. With the limited exposure I have to CTE PRO 1, I am so much more comfortable and confident at aiming and pocketing balls than ever before. It has changed my pre-shot routine and mindset at the table. The simplicity and objectivity of this system is genius. I wish I had knowledge of this system years ago. Until something better comes along, I will be using this system for aiming and ball pocketing.
Thank you Stan for your work on this and presenting it on DVD. I have never met Stan, but I like what he's cooking. Here is one of Stan's youtube videos that clearly demonstrates the difference between aiming by feel and using objective aim points coupled with the appropriate rotation. Thanks for reading and I encourage you to buy the DVD's and explore Stan's system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpcDls9V3ds

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the (first?) DVD maybe a year ago, and I guess I just don't understand it. It doesn't seem to explain how to do what you're supposed to do. I'd like to go back to trying it - maybe someone can give me a suggestion of how to approach it differently, or how to understand it or get additional explanatory information.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
I got the (first?) DVD maybe a year ago, and I guess I just don't understand it. It doesn't seem to explain how to do what you're supposed to do. I'd like to go back to trying it - maybe someone can give me a suggestion of how to approach it differently, or how to understand it or get additional explanatory information.
I struggled with it at first as well. I just kept watching the DVD's and youtube videos over and over again. I would work on shots at the table and my preshot routine and footwork at home. Once I was able to get the perceptions and rotations to agree, the light clicked on. It's just going to take some time, so just keep working at it. DVD2 may work better for you...I hope so. Good luck.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you do know there is an aiming forum right? I mean they gave you a whole section for it you might as well use it..

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two months ago, I ordered Stan Shuffett's DVD2. Prior to the purchase I had stumbled upon Stan's postings on this forum as well as youtube. I was very intrigued by this aiming system because he would call out the visuals and sweeps before shooting a ball and he was incredibly accurate and consistent. I wanted to learn more. After two months of watching the DVD's and putting the lessons into practice at the table, I am convinced that this ball-pocketing system absolutely works!
I was a feel/contact point aimer for a long time. Great sometimes, but inconsistent for the most part. With the limited exposure I have to CTE PRO 1, I am so much more comfortable and confident at aiming and pocketing balls than ever before. It has changed my pre-shot routine and mindset at the table. The simplicity and objectivity of this system is genius. I wish I had knowledge of this system years ago. Until something better comes along, I will be using this system for aiming and ball pocketing.
Thank you Stan for your work on this and presenting it on DVD. I have never met Stan, but I like what he's cooking. Here is one of Stan's youtube videos that clearly demonstrates the difference between aiming by feel and using objective aim points coupled with the appropriate rotation. Thanks for reading and I encourage you to buy the DVD's and explore Stan's system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpcDls9V3ds

Big C,

Thank you for your positive review!

Stan Shuffett

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I struggled with it at first as well. I just kept watching the DVD's and youtube videos over and over again. I would work on shots at the table and my preshot routine and footwork at home. Once I was able to get the perceptions and rotations to agree, the light clicked on. It's just going to take some time, so just keep working at it. DVD2 may work better for you...I hope so. Good luck.

The main beef with CTE from day one has always been the vagueness, the poor explanations of certain concepts, etc. The DVD was hailed as finally being the clear explanation. I bought it. It wasn't, not at all.

If nothing else, CTE takes an extremely simple concept of aiming and makes it unnecessarily complicated. Then throws in some extra concepts related to pivoting so that when you miss, you have more variables you can point to as the cause.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This will surely be moved to the aiming section shortly.

This is your opinion of CTE - not the facts. The facts are that several people have figured CTE out from DVD 1 - I did and I know several other's who have as well.It takes time on the table and I have the advantage of having one in my basement - I practiced for 5 months before I was completely comfortable with the system and not 30 minutes a day either.

It seems complicated but it really isn't - the various visuals and sweeps connect with so many pocket solutions that is is scary.

If aiming is such a simple concept why would you explore any help at all, with CTE or any other system?

The main beef with CTE from day one has always been the vagueness, the poor explanations of certain concepts, etc. The DVD was hailed as finally being the clear explanation. I bought it. It wasn't, not at all.

If nothing else, CTE takes an extremely simple concept of aiming and makes it unnecessarily complicated. Then throws in some extra concepts related to pivoting so that when you miss, you have more variables you can point to as the cause.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
If aiming is such a simple concept why would you explore any help at all, with CTE or any other system?

I buy a large amount of pool matches, instructional books and videos. I'm open to, and interested in learning new things about the game. I can see a lot of value in different aiming systems because people see things in different ways. Even if it doesn't help me, it might help someone else.

Of course the same could be said for CTE. But in terms of a raw product review of the instructional material as presented on the DVD, in my opinion it was extremely poor and did not answer the same questions that came up over and over again before the DVD was released.

So, I suppose this could be moved to the aiming sub-forum, though I view it as a product review. Not limited to a review of system itself.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member

This is your opinion of CTE - not the facts. The facts are that several people have figured CTE out from DVD 1 - I did and I know several other's who have as well.It takes time on the table and I have the advantage of having one in my basement - I practiced for 5 months before I was completely comfortable with the system and not 30 minutes a day either.

Let's be rigorous here: The facts are that several people have said they figured CTE out from DVD 1...

Which, of course, is the heart of the matter, from both sides I might add.

BigC's review is subjective, as any review is going to be. And he's entitled to express his subjective opinion, even in the Main forum, where I think reviews often appear.

Gerry Williams said:

I don't know. I take my lead from snooker players, arguably the best 'aimers' in the business.

But I digress, this thread is, or should be, about Big C's review of the DVD, not a discussion of the merits of the system itself. And, on that subject, I think Big C could have expanded a little, in the spirit of review, as to the specifics of why the DVD should be purchased... like production values, organization, clarity of presentation, etc. That would certainly make it a better review, in my opinion, and would go further to help me (or anyone else) make a decision on whether to purchase...

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member

It seems complicated but it really isn't - the various visuals and sweeps connect with so many pocket solutions that is is scary.

How is your opinion a fact and his opinion not a fact?

What happened to you? At one point you seemed like a level headed, well spoken, strong player who participated here but didn't get sucked into the drama, and you represented CTE well. Shit, after seeing some of your videos I was tempted to buy the DVDs myself.

Just because you feel JB is treated unfairly doesn't mean you have to stoop to his level.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I buy a large amount of pool matches, instructional books and videos. I'm open to, and interested in learning new things about the game. I can see a lot of value in different aiming systems because people see things in different ways. Even if it doesn't help me, it might help someone else.

Of course the same could be said for CTE. But in terms of a raw product review of the instructional material as presented on the DVD, in my opinion it was extremely poor and did not answer the same questions that came up over and over again before the DVD was released.

So, I suppose this could be moved to the aiming sub-forum, though I view it as a product review. Not limited to a review of system itself.

Your problem is your RAW PRODUCT REVIEW. You did not really get in the trenches visually and physically and your comments show it.

Scotjen26 who is a fine instructor/player that I think may be in your area can attest that all the info is on DVD1. And DVD2 is an encyclopedia on the subject.
The system is there to be learned if one is so motivated. CTE is not hard, it is different at first, and that is where you likely IMO, threw the towel in.
Once CTE is learned a common comment is that it is EASY. It well worthwhile as connects to any regulation table.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Let's be rigorous here: The facts are that several people have said they figured CTE out from DVD 1...

I reread my post a couple of times, and realize that my opening statement needs a little clarification. By saying that: "...several people have said they figured CTE out ..." I am not impugning their honesty. And that sentence could certainly have been interpreted to mean just that.

By making that statement I am simply pointing out that we humans are complicated creatures, and what goes on between our ears is difficult to ascertain with a surety, even under the best of situations, and even by the individual whose ears they are.

That is all... move along... nothing to see here.

Banks

Banned
Here is one of Stan's youtube videos that clearly demonstrates the difference between aiming by feel and using objective aim points coupled with the appropriate rotation.

Clearly demonstrates? How? Now that you've learned it, put up your own video doing the same, because it's so easy. Better yet, play somebody for $10k and take it down! Yeah, that'll learn 'em.

Edit: I found more proof that it works..

Also, after 10 weeks, you'll be ripped and women will be all over you..

cte.png

Last edited:

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You raise a good point and I am not interested in aiming wars - I am happy to help anyone wishing to learn this system. Of course the best method is 1 on 1 at the table but my point is that it can be learned completely from DVD1 and easier from DVD2.

I don't know how much time he spent working with the shots etc before posting that review/feedback - perhaps we can find out?

I am also curious as to which pieces caused confusion - be happy to try and clear them up. As would Stan or anyone else - he stands behind his products and will support anyone that is willing to work at it.

Cheers,
Gerry

How is your opinion a fact and his opinion not a fact?

What happened to you? At one point you seemed like a level headed, well spoken, strong player who participated here but didn't get sucked into the drama, and you represented CTE well. Shit, after seeing some of your videos I was tempted to buy the DVDs myself.

Just because you feel JB is treated unfairly doesn't mean you have to stoop to his level.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the curtain the only objective points are the balls since you cannot see the pocket. If Stan was trying to shoot those by feel he would be trying to guess where the pocket is exactly.

Pro One the target is centre cue ball once the visuals have been locked in.

Shooting under the curtain is fun - I have spent time at Stan's place doing this - nailed em too for the most part. Could probably win a lot of money this way :)

Clearly demonstrates? How? Now that you've learned it, put up your own video doing the same, because it's so easy. Better yet, play somebody for $10k and take it down! Yeah, that'll learn 'em.

Edit: I found more proof that it works..

Also, after 10 weeks, you'll be ripped and women will be all over you..

View attachment 326096

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to be more specific than that.

If you are seriously interested I will help you.

How much time have you spent on the concepts (visuals/sweeps) and the reference shots in the DVD? Explain the process you went through with the DVD.

We can do this via PM if you prefer - entirely up to you.

Gerry

Can someone clearly describe how this aiming system works?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone clearly describe how this aiming system works?

Sure, at the core of real CTE are 2 perceptions, the 15 and the 30.
Those 2 perceptions are unique but can be easily learned in 1 day.
Those 2 perceptions when followed by a slight but natural rotation to CCB make every shot on a regulation table somewhere and most of the time where you want it.

The above is a simplification.

The above also represents a professional....visual and physical approach of how to really play the game.

Yes , STROKE is the delivery part and STROKE is hugely important.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited: