Skyler Woodward / Keith Thompson

JWM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skyler Woodward is a very good player. Keith Thompson (Squirrel) was a very good player at 15 years old. He was a great player at 17 years old. Keith played the big table, bar box, and snooker, you name it he could play it! He had unbelievable talent, however, I believe at about 22, he quit playing. The first time I saw Skyler, his game reminded me of Keith. However, I think Skyler still has a long ways to go. (That Is Just My Opinion) I will never forget the first time I saw Keith and Bobby Taylor walk into the Cue & Triangle. They told us they were from Houston, we had already heard about the La Cue and all the great players. We had no ideal about Keith Thompson, we did find out. Keith could get out anytime he needed to. There were no cell phones or internet. What a great time! I think Keith was the best young player ever. There have been a great number of young players from the past, as well as the present, I hoe they just keep coming up in the future. I Love This Game Of Pocket Billiards!

John Wesley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Plan My Life As If I AM Going To Live Forever, I Live My Life Like Each Day Is My Last

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the lack of money in pool I wander how many great players were going to lose the opportunity to see grow because there are brighter horizons else where.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skyler Woodward is a very good player. Keith Thompson (Squirrel) was a very good player at 15 years old. He was a great player at 17 years old. Keith played the big table, bar box, and snooker, you name it he could play it! He had unbelievable talent, however, I believe at about 22, he quit playing. The first time I saw Skyler, his game reminded me of Keith. However, I think Skyler still has a long ways to go. (That Is Just My Opinion) I will never forget the first time I saw Keith and Bobby Taylor walk into the Cue & Triangle. They told us they were from Houston, we had already heard about the La Cue and all the great players. We had no ideal about Keith Thompson, we did find out. Keith could get out anytime he needed to. There were no cell phones or internet. What a great time! I think Keith was the best young player ever. There have been a great number of young players from the past, as well as the present, I hoe they just keep coming up in the future. I Love This Game Of Pocket Billiards!

John Wesley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Plan My Life As If I AM Going To Live Forever, I Live My Life Like Each Day Is My Last

Great post, John, and I agree. It is kind of cool to see the new kids on the block shining brightly. Sklyer is the real deal! :cool:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Keith won the Johnston City All Around-then quit pool.

I just don't get that, if you are THAT good, even if you don't play all the time as a Pro, how can you not play once a month in some tournament? I once did not play for a few years at all, but then picked it up again and have probably played at least once a week for 8 years now, although the last 4 I've played with my son every time so that keeps me playing more these days.

danomano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not simply play for fun?

The rest of us do..

When you get that good, it is not worth your time and energy to "play for fun" enough to continue to get better. It would be like a golfer who has to quit his job to practice every single day...if they can't make money at it, it is irresponsible to continue to do so.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not simply play for fun?

The rest of us do..
Because people that become the best in the world at something have to dedicate there lives to playing. That's hard to do and hold a full time job. You think tiger woods would have been as great if he played two hours three says a week.

Lbkcuekid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine used to run around with Keith way back and said he was a wonder to watch. He also said after Johnston City Keith just kind of quit and said there was nothing else to do. He also tole me Keith is now retired but sometimes picks up a cue just for fun and that he still shots pretty well for not having played much in the last 40+ years. I hope Skyler does not get burned out and hope he learns all the disciplines of the game and becomes a true champion in the long haul like Efren or Earl and Shane and many other pros.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
With the lack of money in pool I wander how many great players were going to lose the opportunity to see grow because there are brighter horizons else where.

That does not mean they won't play the game. Money is something you look at when your already a great player

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JWM

I couldn't believe how good Keith played snooker or nine ball either.

Later

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post, John, and I agree. It is kind of cool to see the new kids on the block shining brightly. Sklyer is the real deal! :cool:

Some folks are making potshots at others who are fans of Sky's, like it's a recent happening. Well, I did recognize his greatness before this Open. :cool::smile:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I think he is a very talented young player. I also think he needs a bit more seasoning on the big tracks for him to come into his own.

Some folks are making potshots at others who are fans of Sky's, like it's a recent happening. Well, I did recognize his greatness before this Open. :cool::smile:

I did 2 years ago when even low level pros wanted no part of him on the Diamond 7 ft at SBE. He just ran out from everywhere. At every event since when I see him he has looked even better.

He's not at the elite level yet. Perhaps in time.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Sky Woodward is a stone-cold killer. He was already there when I met him in Tunica a couple of years ago.

Are people just now realizing this? I thought it was common knowledge that he was one of the very best that the USA has to offer.

I'm still shocked that he wasn't chosen to be one of the finalists for the Mosconi Cup team.

Maybe he was not chosen because maybe his big table game is not nearly as strong as his bar table game. Have any of you guys seen him play on the big tables? How good does he play 9 ball (for example) on the big table? I have been told that Bergmans game on the big table is much stronger (at everything, except for maybe bank pool). Does Skyler play much on the big tables?

Sky Woodward is a stone-cold killer. He was already there when I met him in Tunica a couple of years ago.

Are people just now realizing this? I thought it was common knowledge that he was one of the very best that the USA has to offer.

I'm still shocked that he wasn't chosen to be one of the finalists for the Mosconi Cup team.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To stay on the road you had to be one tough cookie

I just don't get that, if you are THAT good, even if you don't play all the time as a Pro, how can you not play once a month in some tournament? I once did not play for a few years at all, but then picked it up again and have probably played at least once a week for 8 years now, although the last 4 I've played with my son every time so that keeps me playing more these days.

Many pool players back in the day would get married and have some kids and live happily ever after.

Nothing wrong with that at all.