Mark Wilson's New Book

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I was one of the first to buy the book. When I heard who wrote it I knew it would be a professional written book with no fluff, smoking mirrors, snake oil, or aiming systems in it. I wasn't wrong. This book should be in every school, college, and pool players hands that wants to get good at pool. After 60 years of playing I finally have a perfectly straight repeatable stroke that I have with every shot. This book belongs on every pool players bookshelf that wants to get better. You will not only read this book a few times, but you will reference it many times overs the years. Johnnyt

Ditto. Very well said.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
I believe I was one of the first to buy the book. When I heard who wrote it I knew it would be a professional written book with no fluff, smoking mirrors, snake oil, or aiming systems in it. I wasn't wrong. This book should be in every school, college, and pool players hands that wants to get good at pool. After 60 years of playing I finally have a perfectly straight repeatable stroke that I have with every shot. This book belongs on every pool players bookshelf that wants to get better. You will not only read this book a few times, but you will reference it many times overs the years. Johnnyt
yup, but what amazes me is that no other instructor has been able to impart such simple instruction in person or video, let alone book format.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the book because I have played 30+ yrs and lacked fundamentals.
Mark says many things I already knew. There are many things about stance
I didnt know!
I started applying in proper set up,stance, and stroke. My game began
to become "consistantly" solid! I broke my ankle and have tried to play.
Can not check my set up and my accuracy/delivery is AWFUL.

Book is for real! Wish I had it years ago.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yup, but what amazes me is that no other instructor has been able to impart such simple instruction in person or video, let alone book format.

Where are you getting that from? Ever been to other instructors to see what they teach? Plus, it's mostly been put on here too, just not as finely worded. Apparently you have never seen Jerry Briesaths video set either, he happened to be Marks teacher and mentor.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
I've been debating on buy this book.
But with all the good reviews & with me struggling bad to find my game again I'm gonna have to get it.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I've been debating on buy this book.
But with all the good reviews & with me struggling bad to find my game again I'm gonna have to get it.

You won't be disappointed. Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the book even if I were playing the best pool of my life. This book gives you so much to work on, that it doesn't really matter how you well you play. Put in the time and you can only get better, much better in fact.
I play as an A but never realized how many flaws I had picked up over the years. After just four months of making refinements to all parts of my game, my consistency has gone up so much that I feel like I could give my old self the 7 and out and still win.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I went to St. Louis and spent a day with Mark working on different aspects of the game. Since then I've been working my way through the book. Lots and lots of details. Outstanding! Everbody around me has seen major improvements in my game. It takes work, but it absolutely pays off.

Best,
JimmyK

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Where are you getting that from? Ever been to other instructors to see what they teach? Plus, it's mostly been put on here too, just not as finely worded. Apparently you have never seen Jerry Briesaths video set either, he happened to be Marks teacher and mentor.

wrong. I have taken a lesson from Jerry personally as well as instructors on this board. There is one piece in his book, maybe you missed it or knew it prior, that was not taught by Jerry or on any other video. I own over 100 instructional videos. I would have caught it. Little hinges swing big doors. This little change made a very big difference in my game.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnaldo,
You are going to love the book - it is meant for players like you that believe the sentences in bold above.

Even pro players can improve using the principles Mark espouses. When I began playing about 8 years ago, I was taking lessons from a top pro player. When it became apparent that I was serious about learning, the pro told me, "well, if you are serious, you have to take lessons from Mark and Jerry (their methods are almost identical; Jerry was one of Mark's mentors)."

That pro set up a lesson for me with Mark, and one with Jerry - he didn't ask me if I wanted a lesson, he just set it up and told me to go. After about 5 minutes with either one of them, that light bulb goes off above your head - what they teach is completely self-evident once you hear it; and its hard to argue with their logic. I am grateful I was sent there, I think you will be happy you bought the book.

P.S. - Mark is my best friend in life, so realize I am completely biased :); but working on the book with him was the greatest privilege of my life.

Can't get much better than that. Sharing a passion with a best friend.
Best wishes to you both.

TD

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wrong. I have taken a lesson from Jerry personally as well as instructors on this board. There is one piece in his book, maybe you missed it or knew it prior, that was not taught by Jerry or on any other video. I own over 100 instructional videos. I would have caught it. Little hinges swing big doors. This little change made a very big difference in my game.

I have the book also.. give me a page #,,:)

80P

Banned
Its funny how some of us get caught up in a stance and dont want to change. But the second we do we gain a ball or two.

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member

I have the book also.. give me a page #,,:)

Ditto. Inquiring minds want to know.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
Just order my copy.
Based on a couple reviews I figure what the hell if it isn't for me I can sell it in a cople years for 3 or 4 years.
I'm sure I'll benifit something out of it. Hoping it gets my stroke in tune.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Sell it? The day I see a used copy of this book in Wanted/For Sale is the day I eat my shorts*.

*disclaimer: just a figure of speech, I wouldn't really eat my shorts, that's just gross.

bquiggle

Registered
My daughter is going to school in St Louis and I have been considering setting up a lesson with Mark next time I go to see her, so I went ahead and ordered the book after reading all of the comments.....sounds like what I have been looking for.
Thanks

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am rereading Marks book for the third time. Looking for anything I may have missed. This is a masterpiece. Very well written. Very clear and easy to understand. There was nothing in the book that didn't make sense. There was nothing in the book where I said I don't understand what he meant.
In contrast I have watched several videos in recent months where so much was unclear. I don't understand why some instructors don't have some beginners watch their videos. They should then have the students explain the system to the instructor.

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
woah woah woah, hold the phone guys..... It seems EVERYONE is misinterpreting what I said, I simply replied to a comment saying that mark made the book to share and not turn a profit, my reply was that he priced the book at a selling price to obviously turn a profit, I mean why wouldn't he?

I did not once say the book was overpriced, not worth it, too expensive.. All I said was Isn't $70 a bit steep for a pool book, comparing it to other pool books......

Everyone above took what I said WAY out of context and started implying that I thought the book was overpriced and not worth it, I NEVER said that and I don't discredit anything Mark Wilson is or has been doing for pool.

So please, don't take what I said and blow it out of proportion.... while making me look like the bad guy.

Ha, too late!!! You're the bad guy now. Every thread needs one.

Just buy the book, buy the book already.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pleasures of Small actions

Its funny how some of us get caught up in a stance and dont want to change. But the second we do we gain a ball or two.

As I've gotten back into it as of late, little things are Huge for me being as taLL as I am. I just rotated my right foot outward slightly more clockwise and ran five plus racks of 14.1 yesterday. My weight was not correct before till now, and because of that change....I was able to execute the breaks shots with control, whereas before I was unable to feel the ''hit thru'' that I was looking for.