Hopefully, this might work.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Just messing about one day and decided to make one.

I saw an old picture of a jig that Willie Mosconi had endorsed. It was a square cut at a diagonal, nailed to a base and a wedge was used to wedge a shaft. I was going to try it but then thought that a wedge might work ok, it wouldn't account for the taper of a shaft.

So, this one is adjustable. We will see. It can't be worse than the last one that I made.
It was pretty finicky.

Can wedge this one tight and give it a steam. Of course, I put a shaft in it for the picture.

When I steam it, I will line the jig with Saran wrap or a baggy so I won't soak the wood.

Not very fancy schmancy but I only run across a couple of shafts a year that I would use this on.

Attachments

• 20140404_132350.jpg
    20140404_132350.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just messing about one day and decided to make one.

I saw an old picture of a jig that Willie Mosconi had endorsed. It was a square cut at a diagonal, nailed to a base and a wedge was used to wedge a shaft. I was going to try it but then thought that a wedge might work ok, it wouldn't account for the taper of a shaft.

So, this one is adjustable. We will see. It can't be worse than the last one that I made.
It was pretty finicky.

Can wedge this one tight and give it a steam. Of course, I put a shaft in it for the picture.

When I steam it, I will line the jig with Saran wrap or a baggy so I won't soak the wood.

Not very fancy schmancy but I only run across a couple of shafts a year that I would use this on.

If you are hoping to "straighten" a warped shaft - it will work fine... temporarily.

Dale

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have straightened them before, but never had one actually hold and last for any amount of time..

tsp&b

Silver Member
I have straightened them before, but never had one actually hold and last for any amount of time..

If you are hoping to "straighten" a warped shaft - it will work fine... temporarily.

Wood has a strong memory, and a stubborn disposition. Once it moves it wants to stay there. Good luck please let us know how it works out. :thumbup:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Does it work? I have no idea. Just wanted to show you guys what I did with a couple of pieces of scrap Baltic plywood and a couple of nubs of maple.

Hey, even if it doesn't work, you guys have to admit that my little wooden turn screws are pretty neat. I am quite proud of those.

I'm not here to dispute the fact that wood has a memory and will refuse to stay straight after pressing and steaming. Not any more than I care whether someone prefers a 25 oz break cue over a 17 oz.

Just a little project that I made. Like I mentioned, I only run across a couple of warped shafts a year. Maybe I will turn a shaft or 2 that will warp.

I can try to fix those. If they work, I will keep those for myself, if not, they are tenons or fire wood.

Not a half bad looking shaft eh. Made it on a Deluxe. It was actually the first shaft I turned. Was setting the shaft taper bar and cut it all at once.

It didn't care for that at all. The butt that I turned remains to this day, perfectly straight. Not so much the shaft. I will put it in the rack and see if it has a different idea.

Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
No debate about those wing nuts!!! They are the nuts!!! I do like you project and I am interested it the results that you get. :thumbup: