Guns and Cues, Show us your Piece

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the prize of my collection - my Dad's Amberg 1916, chambered for 30.06.

This rifle has almost mythical status in my family. Dad bought it from "The Colonel", a retired army officer living in Troy, NY after WWII. The story was that the Colonel had it worked on my some machinists at the Watervliet Arsenal, who put in a barrel from a German machine gun and rebored it for 30.06.

I don't know that much about these things, but I've never seen another 1916 barrel that looks like it. They are usually stepped down just before they enter the receiver, and they are stamped with a SN that matches the one found on the receiver (see last photo below). Dad's barrel has no matching SN stamped on it, only the stamp "30.06". It is also gently tapered right to about an inch away from the receiver, at which point it becomes parallel sided.

Check out the beautiful "checkering". The Colonel himself did that handy artwork. Pretty crude, but that's the way it came to Dad, and the way it still was when I retrieved in from his hunting locker after he passed.

The Colonel also had the bolt handle bent downward as opposed to the standard Mauser bolt handle that sticks straight out to the side, along with other sporterizing to the stock. Dad had a local gunsmith put on the micrometer peep sight when I was a little kid, and I still remember going to the gun shop with him to pick it up when it was done.

Attachments

• Dad's 30.06.jpg
    Dad's 30.06.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 443
  • Dad's 30.06 - Side View.jpg
    Dad's 30.06 - Side View.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 448
  • Dad's 30.06 -Top View.jpg
    Dad's 30.06 -Top View.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Amberg 1916.jpg
    Amberg 1916.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 441

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what your are saying im just trying to make a point it doesn't matter what you do with guns or the people that have them legally or illegally. A criminal is one that doesn't follow the laws, So in other words they don't care if they are illegal. If some one truly believes that banning guns is the answer to end violence you obviously only see what the media wants you to see IMO.

To answer your question you are basically asking is the crime worse if some one is beaten to death or shot to death and no there is no difference doesn't matter if you are on drugs, drunk, or have a weapon either way you look at it YOU killed some one. The alcohol didn't kill them, the drugs didn't kill some one, the gun didn't kill some one,.

I am not sure banning guns has ever been mentioned by anyone, be they private of a politician.
It is just a buzz word to throw out and will be latched onto by those that don't read or listen to anything. That will be all they hear, their sum total of the subject. "They are coming to take my guns" "They are banning my guns". Who is "they" and who has ever said such a thing.

Recently they had a gun show near my house at the armory and they had people walking the side walk in front with huge signs with pictures on Obama in a Hitler mustache and Nazi uniform and others with signs to "Take back our country" ," Obama is not getting my guns" "Obama wants to ban guns" and the rest of the same BS.

There was even a petition there to sign to tell Obama to "Keep his hands off their guns". At the same table you could join some hooky org. that was to help support your gun rights for just $35.00 a year . It is amazing just how ignorant such a mass of people can be, especially on a subject that seems to be so dear to their hearts.

How can they be so completely uninformed? I have no problems with people with different opinions as long as they are honest and sincere and not just a bunch of sheep parroting some catch phrases and spreading lies. I don't know about you but I don't like being lied to, be they friends or anyone else. These people seem to embrace being lied to, truth means nothing to them.

It is as simple as telling what you know they want to hear and then figuring how to make a buck of these dopes like staging a gun show telling them they better stock up before the ban takes place. They scary part is, there are some that really believe this stuff.

You can see them on these survival shows. Some of these people are completely nuts. I wonder what they are all doing now with their supplies they were stocking up on for the end of the world in 2012? The people who sold them all that sh!t are probably lying on a beach somewhere planning the next assault of the fools of the world.

By the way, I will take a picture of the gun show circus next time. They have one about every month or two at the armory

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local gun store owner quoted statistics telling me that when someone goes on a mass shooting spree and law enforcement responds first that an average of over 7 innocent people die. He went on to say that when an armed citizen responds first the average is under 2 innocent people dying.

Came from a gun store owner, it must be true. He has no reason to make it up.

Treyf123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure banning guns has ever been mentioned by anyone, be they private of a politician.
It is just a buzz word to throw out and will be latched onto by those that don't read or listen to anything. That will be all they hear, their sum total of the subject. "They are coming to take my guns" "They are banning my guns". Who is "they" and who has ever said such a thing.

Recently they had a gun show near my house at the armory and they had people walking the side walk in front with huge signs with pictures on Obama in a Hitler mustache and Nazi uniform and others with signs to "Take back our country" ," Obama is not getting my guns" "Obama wants to ban guns" and the rest of the same BS.

There was even a petition there to sign to tell Obama to "Keep his hands off their guns". At the same table you could join some hooky org. that was to help support your gun rights for just $35.00 a year . It is amazing just how ignorant such a mass of people can be, especially on a subject that seems to be so dear to their hearts.

How can they be so completely uninformed. I have no problems with people with different opinions as long as they are honest and sincere and not just a bunch of sheep parroting some catch phrases and spreading lies. I don't know about you but I don't like being lied to, be they friends or anyone else. These people seem to embrace being lied to, truth means nothing to them.

It is as simple as telling what you know they want to hear and then figuring how to make a buck of these dopes like staging a gun show telling them they better stock up before the ban takes place. They scary part is, there are some that really believe this stuff.

You can see them on these survival shows. Some of these people are completely nuts. I wonder what they are all doing now with their supplies they were stocking up on for the end of the world in 2012? The people who sold them all that sh!t are probably lying on a beach somewhere planning the next assault of the fools of the world.

By the way, I will take a picture of the gun show circus next time. They have one about every month or two at the armory

I realize what you are saying but if you reread my post I never said I think they are going to or they are going to... But to say that it hasn't been mentioned your dead wrong there there has been plenty of talks about banning types of guns not all guns but anything high capacity so the word has benn used theres no question about that. They will never ban GUNS but they will try to limit the guns we can buy or own (which is already happening) which either way is infringing upon our rights.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I often use the pool table as a backdrop for gun pics.
Less now that is freshly recovered :thumbup:

Just a small sample.......

imgp6340d.jpg

It looks like you are running a Geissele SDE trigger? I went with a Vortex optic too. I run a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on my SPR-ish setup. What optic are you using?

Eric

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It looks like you are running a Geissele SDE trigger? I went with a Vortex optic too. I run a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on my SPR-ish setup. What optic are you using?

Eric

Good move on the variable. Is it completely built and have you tried it yet? Just interested in the accuracy.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Good move on the variable. Is it completely built and have you tried it yet? Just interested in the accuracy.

Actually, I haven't moved further on my M40a5-ish build yet. I'm still shooting long shooting my AR. As you know, I converted my AR to an SPR a while back and got into precision rifle shooting. It shoots great. Better than I do, lol. I would say it is capable of consistent sub MOA accuracy.

Eric

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Question for you guys. Being from Canada and just about to get my restricted, I figured on my first to be the Beretta 22 LR. More of a long barreled target pistol.

I like the Sig that Ron F posted. I believe that we do have one or 2 Combat Clubs that
go to an outdoor range when it isn't winter in Canada. That gives us a window of outdoor shooting of approx 2 months. Hahahaha.

The small compact design of his Sig is attractive to me.

With a shorter barrel, what would be considered a distance that particular pistol would be accurate up to. I know with the smaller pocket pistols, people have mentioned, not far.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I agree that it is to easily done. I was just pointing out that you said you didn't think you would be breaking a law, But actually you would be.

not in NC, unless something's changed in the laws - to which, i don't care. if the gun is legal & clean @ point of sale, whether hand-written/signed or notarized, individuals can sell amongst themselves. moreover, it's the criminals, who can lay their hands on underground guns & don't care about CWP - while we have to jump through the hoops.

mine were Court decreed (inherited), which according to ATF, is higher than being registered AND not required to be registered.

years ago, when NC finally approved it, i wanted to apply for CWP. then i found out that it's PUBLIC RECORD & printed in the NEWSPAPER, of "who applied & their address"....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! that just screamed (as a single mother w/ a 2yr old) - COME ATTEMPT TO ROB ME.

i called my atty friend of 20 yrs. he said:
1) it only matters if you get caught
2) it's a $500 fine for concealed
3) assuming they survive to testify against you

that's all i needed to hear. that's my story, and i'm sticking to it!

PS - always finish the job.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize what you are saying but if you reread my post I never said I think they are going to or they are going to... But to say that it hasn't been mentioned your dead wrong there there has been plenty of talks about banning types of guns not all guns but anything high capacity so the word has benn used theres no question about that. They will never ban GUNS but they will try to limit the guns we can buy or own (which is already happening) which either way is infringing upon our rights.
Some of this is also by people who are radical in the other direction. There are extremists on both sides.
The conversation needs to take place in an honest way. You mentioned banning guns is the answer to end violence and being pushed by the media. I don't think any such conversation has ever take place in a public forum. It is a poor choice of and use of words. It spreads not even half truths but out right lies. Words matter and how they are used.

I just saw a story on the news where someone quoted the NY Times as a source for some information. Of course they are not claiming to know if it is true of not they are just passing it on. Turns out the story was planted by them.

Could you even imagine what someone like Joseph Goebbels could do with todays media and low information audience. He was Hitlers propaganda minister in Naza Germany and the person who came up with what became to be known as "The Big Lie"

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
Joseph Goebbels

Today he would probably be head of programing at Fox News.

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
Joseph Goebbels

Today he would probably be head of programing at Fox News MSNBC .

Fixed it for ya

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
How is it legal to carry in your car, unless unloaded?

in NC, as long as the gun is in-plain-sight (or thrown on the dash @ being pulled over & hands out the window), it's not concealed (even if loaded). but it HAS to be OUT of the holster.

if it's LOCKED in the glovebox, or in the trunk - then it's not concealed - cause it's LOCKED UP.

if you keep it in the glovebox, unlocked (for obvious reasons) - then you simply LOCK the glovebox @ being pulled over. same if it's b/w or under seats - throw it in the glovebox.

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eric

That's a Vortex PST 1-4X
Haven't fell in love, but they have very clear glass.
Probably go back to a Eotech or Aimpoint eventually

The trigger is actually a SD-3G Single Stage right around 3 lbs, the flat trigger bow makes it feel even lighter.

Not a social work trigger by any means, was building this one as a 3Gun competition rig.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
That's a Vortex PST 1-4X
Haven't fell in love, but they have very clear glass.
Probably go back to a Eotech or Aimpoint eventually

The trigger is actually a SD-3G Single Stage right around 3 lbs, the flat trigger bow makes it feel even lighter.

Not a social work trigger by any means, was building this one as a 3Gun competition rig.

I was turned onto Vortex by a friend. IMO, unless you are going with S&B, Nightforce or something else that is top of the line, Vortex is really hard to beat. Mine holds a zero real well too.

3 gun makes sense for that trigger. I haven't gotten into 3 gun, but have tried the SD 3G. It's really fast. Quick reset. Not something you want in a tactical/defense situation, lol. I'm running a Hi Speed DMR on my SPR. 3lb first stage, .5lb second.

Eric

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Despite the ridicule I'm suffering for being a flaming liberal, I seriously really would like to have a real German luger from WWII. They remind me of a Master Stroke. Kinda odd looking but gets the job done. Gunbroker.com here I come. Anybody want to trade a Luger for an early 1900's Winchester in .38-40, let me know.

There were quite a few nice Lugers a couple of years ago at the Nazi auction here in Denver.
Some sold for quite a bit, some not, I didn't know what I was looking at so I passed.
Certain magazines sold for more than the pistols.

The Nazi auction was right after the cue auction, and there was definitely a different crowd at the Nazi auction...sieg heil
I did get an estimate on my dads Austrian Shaffhausen watch he picked up in Europe during WWII.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Came from a gun store owner, it must be true. He has no reason to make it up.

It does make sense that if there is already an armed Citizen on the scene who takes effective action during the shooting, the numbers are going to be way down. OTOH -I dont recall a citizen doing a thing at any of the well publicized sprees and how would you define a mass shooting spree, if instances of 2 victim shootings are in the average?

I'd have to toss that stat out but in theory it makes sense.

Treyf123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not in NC, unless something's changed in the laws - to which, i don't care. if the gun is legal & clean @ point of sale, whether hand-written/signed or notarized, individuals can sell amongst themselves. moreover, it's the criminals, who can lay their hands on underground guns & don't care about CWP - while we have to jump through the hoops.

mine were Court decreed (inherited), which according to ATF, is higher than being registered AND not required to be registered.

years ago, when NC finally approved it, i wanted to apply for CWP. then i found out that it's PUBLIC RECORD & printed in the NEWSPAPER, of "who applied & their address"....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! that just screamed (as a single mother w/ a 2yr old) - COME ATTEMPT TO ROB ME.

i called my atty friend of 20 yrs. he said:
1) it only matters if you get caught
2) it's a $500 fine for concealed
3) assuming they survive to testify against you

that's all i needed to hear. that's my story, and i'm sticking to it!

PS - always finish the job.

There is a law against buying a gun to resale to someone that can not pass the background check. Basically trying to circumvent the system. There is no law saying individuals can not sell to one another but there is one saying you can not buy with the intent to sell to some one that can not pass the background check. Legal term is a Straw purchase