Guns and Cues, Show us your Piece

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I was phone surveyed regarding the gun issues. After the Martin case there were a lot of groups doing number gathering. I get called a lot on this stuff. (Maybe because I still have a land line) Most people just hang up but if I have the time I will answer a survey. This issued was so hot I would bet the numbered surveyed was many time the number of most other issues. There were a lot of on line surveys as well.

Even among gun owners and NRA members it was really one sided for stronger regulations on ownership and buying. I can buy guns without a waiting period. Tomorrow I could go out and legally buy guns and take them out and resell them on the street to say gang bangers and make my self like 10 grand. I would need a lawyer to advise me but I don't think I would have broken any laws. Doesn't it seem there is something wrong there?

Back some 30 years ago my buddy was a para-miliary fan and he talked me into buying an AK and a Mini 14 to go out shooting with him. When I went to the gun store, I was astounded at the Uzi's, semi auto short shotguns, even Tommy guns hanging on the wall.

At least 15 or 20 years ago I was at a family gathering with a very conservative group, with me being the only gun fan. At the time I had quite a few weapons. I mentioned that I thought the laws should be toughened up because I thought it was pretty crazy the stuff they were selling. The family members jumped all over me for saying that.

Fast forward to 2014 and a lot of people agree. Now I wonder. Take a quality 10 round .40 caliber auto. With a little bit of training and a pocket full of clips, the shooter has as much firepower and capacity as needed to take out a theater full of people.

I favor tougher screening for sure. Maybe a one shot deal. You lose your privilege to own a firearm if convicted of any violent crime. Maybe you lose it if you've attempted suicide or have been diagnosed with any form of psychosis. I like the gun lock laws but they are weak. Registration laws seem to only help after the crime.

I don't want crazies to be able to easily acquire guns.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad news! We've got a lot worse than zombies walking the streets right now. They call themselves gangsters and they are well armed. They come in all shapes and sizes and colors. Probably several hundred thousand in the cities of the U.S. alone. I live in Los Angeles and am very careful when I go out at night, even to the 7/11. The crazies come out at night and they aren't shy. That's the reality in 2014 so don't kid yourself.

Crazies are everywhere. A few weeks ago I visited my youngest son Curt down in Wilmington, NC. He and his GF have a real nice apartment in a rather quiet, racially mixed neighborhood. We had a good time and left there happy for him in his new digs.

Well, just a couple days ago Curt calls his mom and tells her they are moving. Turns out there was a shootout directly in front of his house. He heard what he thought was fireworks and looked out the window to see two cars side by side, shooting at each other as they drove down the street.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2014/05/05/m...nd-chase-sunday-other-shooting-still-unsolved

I suppose some folks would say it's time to get himself a handgun, but I fail to see how that would have done anything to protect him or his lovely GF. Best self defense in this situation was to do what they did - slam the front door, hit the floor, and crawl to the back of the apartment. Carrying a gun didn't help the guy in one of the cars, either, because he ended up taking four slugs.

I'm glad I have my guns, and I wouldn't give them up without a fuss. I firmly believe in the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment that it is the right of the individual to bear arms. But I would never, under any circumstances besides total anarchy, carry a concealed firearm on a daily basis. I just don't think they are an effective self defense measure for 99% of situations that might arise in real life.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back some 30 years ago my buddy was a para-miliary fan and he talked me into buying an AK and a Mini 14 to go out shooting with him. When I went to the gun store, I was astounded at the Uzi's, semi auto short shotguns, even Tommy guns hanging on the wall.

At least 15 or 20 years ago I was at a family gathering with a very conservative group, with me being the only gun fan. At the time I had quite a few weapons. I mentioned that I thought the laws should be toughened up because I thought it was pretty crazy the stuff they were selling. The family members jumped all over me for saying that.

Fast forward to 2014 and a lot of people agree. Now I wonder. Take a quality 10 round .40 caliber auto. With a little bit of training and a pocket full of clips, the shooter has as much firepower and capacity as needed to take out a theater full of people.

I favor tougher screening for sure. Maybe a one shot deal. You lose your privilege to own a firearm if convicted of any violent crime. You lose it if you've attempted suicide or have been diagnosed with any form of psychosis. I like the gun lock laws but they are weak.

I am sure most criminals agree with you on tougher gun controls.

Only problem, they don't follow the law.

So once you say that you have say.

"I believe in tougher guns laws on law abiding citizens"...if that is the case then fine. But don't say anything else unless you are willing to say that.

JMO,

Ken

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it true finding .380 ACP ammo is hard? It used to be such a popular caliber for compact and back-up weapons.

It's very difficult at present. It's even harder still, to find any Remington target (FMJ) rounds. Everything out there is generic or a brand you've never heard of. Hornady personal defense is also near to impossible to find. You get the same...."we don't know what will be on the next truck" response from everyone followed up by the standard..."you're welcome to come back on that day and check". Buying ammo for personal defense pistols is a pain in the ass and it shouldn't be.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
In California you can now buy only one gun a month!

This is my Ruger Bearcat, my favorite gun. This is the gun that I can hit a 3" target at 30' and I will bet even money on that all day long! I know many people laugh at little guns like this but to me it is a very deadly weapon, quite capable of killing someone. I give it full respect when it's in my hands. It's in my car all the time (legally!) and when I go hiking it's by my side. Somehow I feel just a little more comfortable knowing that I have it close.

P.S. Yes you can see the serial number. It's my gun legally purchased so I'm okay with that.

How is it legal to carry in your car, unless unloaded?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why I stocked up on Black Talon's when they were available!!

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I favor tougher screening for sure. Maybe a one shot deal. You lose your privilege to own a firearm if convicted of any violent crime. Maybe you lose it if you've attempted suicide or have been diagnosed with any form of psychosis. I like the gun lock laws but they are weak. Registration laws seem to only help after the crime.

If you've been convicted of a violent crime, you will have already lost you're gun rights. Laws are for law-abiding people. We aren't enforcing the laws on the books now.

I think there are some social issues making things worse now than say 50 years ago.
If people were busy working to put food on the table, a lot of these social woes induced by progressive policies in the last 50 years would disappear.

What about someone who gets marriage counseling, and is prescribed an anti-depressant. Slippery slope there my friend.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
When I went to the gun store, I was astounded at the Uzi's, semi auto short shotguns, even Tommy guns hanging on the wall.

I was astounded when I walked into a gun store and saw two old Brunswicks, one WWII era Master Stroke and an old Willie Hoppe signature cue, both of the butts were in great condition, I gave them $300 for both...no shit.
The only background check was a look at my rep on AZ Billiards><:smile:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I was astounded when I walked into a gun store and saw two old Brunswicks, one WWII era Master Stroke and an old Willie Hoppe signature cue, both of the butts were in great condition, I gave them $300 for both...no shit.
The only background check was a look at my rep on AZ Billiards><:smile:

Despite the ridicule I'm suffering for being a flaming liberal, I seriously really would like to have a real German luger from WWII. They remind me of a Master Stroke. Kinda odd looking but gets the job done. Gunbroker.com here I come. Anybody want to trade a Luger for an early 1900's Winchester in .38-40, let me know.

Last edited:

Treyf123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure most criminals agree with you on tougher gun controls.

Only problem, they don't follow the law.

So once you say that you have say.

"I believe in tougher guns laws on law abiding citizens"...if that is the case then fine. But don't say anything else unless you are willing to say that.

JMO,

Ken
You are 100% right If "The Crazies" want a gun they are going to get it. Doesn't matter how Extensive the background check is when you buy it from a store. Saying lets make it harder does nothing except delay whats going to happen. If making them illegal to "the Crazies" is supposed to make it impossible to get then lets make drugs illegal

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are 100% right If "The Crazies" want a gun they are going to get it. Doesn't matter how Extensive the background check is when you buy it from a store. Saying lets make it harder does nothing except delay whats going to happen. If making them illegal to "the Crazies" is supposed to make it impossible to get then lets make drugs illegal

Lol, they already are illegal, soon to change in a state near you though

Drug laws and especially DUI laws are basically pre-crime enforcement
If you drink and drive and kill someone in a crash it's manslaughter
If you drink 4 beers and drive home and no one is hurt, what was the crime ?

I know the medical and legal arguments, and the statistics ,
But statistics mean nothing on an individual basis
Individual freedom is what we are actually legislating, be it guns drugs or driving after a couple drinks

If you commit a crime against another person and one of those issues is a factor, did it lessen or enhance the criminality ?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
California in general is very difficult...

In Los Angeles it's almost impossible to get one.

California is a just cause issue state. That is to say that you have to show just cause above and beyond the norm to get one.

There have been some sheriff's in some counties that would just general issue but they got in trouble for it.

If you haven't been mugged or raped or carry large sums of cash or valuables on a daily basis, good luck getting one in Cali...

Jaden

Treyf123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, they already are illegal, soon to change in a state near you though

Drug laws and especially DUI laws are basically pre-crime enforcement
If you drink and drive and kill someone in a crash it's manslaughter
If you drink 4 beers and drive home and no one is hurt, what was the crime ?

I know the medical and legal arguments, and the statistics ,
But statistics mean nothing on an individual basis
Individual freedom is what we are actually legislating, be it guns drugs or driving after a couple drinks

If you commit a crime against another person and one of those issues is a factor, did it lessen or enhance the criminality ?

I understand what your are saying im just trying to make a point it doesn't matter what you do with guns or the people that have them legally or illegally. A criminal is one that doesn't follow the laws, So in other words they don't care if they are illegal. If some one truly believes that banning guns is the answer to end violence you obviously only see what the media wants you to see IMO.

To answer your question you are basically asking is the crime worse if some one is beaten to death or shot to death and no there is no difference doesn't matter if you are on drugs, drunk, or have a weapon either way you look at it YOU killed some one. The alcohol didn't kill them, the drugs didn't kill some one, the gun didn't kill some one,.

wayne_ward

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No cues, just guns

I retired from pool due to the smoke. New hobby.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A local gun store owner quoted statistics telling me that when someone goes on a mass shooting spree and law enforcement responds first that an average of over 7 innocent people die. He went on to say that when an armed citizen responds first the average is under 2 innocent people dying.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How is it legal to carry in your car, unless unloaded?

In the trunk. :smile:
See post #290 for the 2014 California firearm laws pertaining to carrying a handgun in your car.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Macguy....it's basically what I already explained.....the honoring state laws apply and not the issuing state's gun laws....so if you can carry in a bar in one state and it's legal there and you go to another state which honors your gun permit, but that state doesn't allow guns in bars under any circumstances....I said bars not restaurants, since alcohol is the main business of a bar........you can never take your weapon into a bar in that state even though you are allowed to do so in the state that issued your gun permit.

Gosh, that's an easy one and no brainer. As I explained, that's the only way the Court would get involved and basically what they are saying in the absence of a national gun law that all states must conform with, the Court does not want to entertain hearing matters of state rights relating to gun control. Definitely, when the subject is confined to limiting citizens rights to own a gun within a specific state, The Court is disposed to hearing those matters.

I figured that was what was happening but I didn't know for sure until your posted reply. Nope, the Supreme Court needs some new members before it's going to change its views on gun control laws and the US Constitution.

Matt B.

Last edited: