Mike Dechaine

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. Pool fans kinda deserve to know why, when a top player isn't picked. Lets say any standings you look at for the top 10. A players shows up on every list. That players doesnt get picked. Everyone deserves to know why or at least that the player knows why. Granted Mark Wilson may have his reasons. However, his reasoning may not be best for the fans.

Why do the fans deserve to know why? Perhaps there is much more to it than any fan comprehends and its something that would be totally embarrassing to a certain player? Unless you're funding the play directly, and there is an agreement in place, you don't deserve to know any of this. Mark Wilson was picked as Coach and I strongly suspect that was with the stipulation that he have full authority in picking the team. He took on the task, has accepted the responsibility and is the only one that deserves to know. If a fan feels slighted or doesn't like the team chosen, vote with your pocket book by not attending or purchasing the streaming.

It should be blatantly evident that Mark Wilson is doing everything humanly possible to change the perspective the general public has of pool. It is clear in what he has established with the college program he has put together and it is clear with his approach to the Mosconi Cup Team. One may, or may not, agree with that but it is irrelevant as he has the authority and responsibility for the Mosconi Cup Team. Win or lose, I believe he is 110% committed to not repeat the horrendous sportsmanship debacle displayed by the last team. By comparison, that would be a huge win.

Classy post by MD. He's still young. Posting like that and continued good behavior would likely warrant his consideration for future Mosconi Cup Teams.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if SVB wasn't picked you might want to know why. MD is maybe the second best American player. At least top 5. So some may wonder what's up. Speculation is just that on a forum. Lots of big names not picked. Just figured rankings should mean something. This and that is said about players. Some true some not. If a player has been disqualified or fined more than enough times. That I understand. Without that then it's a personal choice. I am not a MD fan nor do I dislike him. Just think it's fair to know why. Again if SVB wasn't picked you would want to know why.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contestants on American Idol are walk ons. They get to the end through judging. They win with viewers votes. I believe golf uses a ranking system and captains picks. Football I think has players pick. Baseball the fans pick. Team USA Olympic basketball I believe is picked by the captain. That may be the best example.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if SVB wasn't picked you might want to know why. MD is maybe the second best American player. At least top 5. So some may wonder what's up. Speculation is just that on a forum. Lots of big names not picked. Just figured rankings should mean something. This and that is said about players. Some true some not. If a player has been disqualified or fined more than enough times. That I understand. Without that then it's a personal choice. I am not a MD fan nor do I dislike him. Just think it's fair to know why. Again if SVB wasn't picked you would want to know why.

Not questioning that we "might like to know". That's different than "fans have a right to know". What they do for the Ryder Cup, MLB All Star Game, etc. is irrelevant to the Mosconi Cup. FWIW, given the past two Mosconi Cup clusterphuks, particularly the last one, I fully support Mark Wilson's efforts for the upcoming event. Regardless of the outcome, I am 100% confident this team will put out a focused effort and represent the USA with dignity and honor.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dechaine isn't top 10? You sure know a lot. So the 8 Mosconi hopefuls that will be reduced to a team of 5 include: SVB, Oscar Dominguez, Justin Bergman, Jeremy Sossei, Corey Deuel, Brandon Schuff and John Schmidt. Dechaine robs every player on the team except SVB. No offense, but over 100 guys play stronger than the bottom 4 of that 8.

So you think the Wilson dream team wins next year? Sounds like a bet to me.

If you believe it then you should bet high. Sure lots of people will be happy to take your money. Put me first in line for 500. Can't wait for the excuses when Europe trashes them.

Pool has almost nothing to do with finding out who are the dominant players. More about who plays nice with others and brings more housewives into the game.

So, you think Mike would be the favorite in a all around against all the players picked except Shane? If Justin keeps improving at the rate he's been doing, he will beat Mike in a all around within a year. I would also think John would be the favorite over Mike in a all around and Corey.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Contestants on American Idol are walk ons. They get to the end through judging. They win with viewers votes. I believe golf uses a ranking system and captains picks. Football I think has players pick. Baseball the fans pick. Team USA Olympic basketball I believe is picked by the captain. That may be the best example.

And in none of those wher the captains pick do they have to explain to the public why one player is picked over another.

The only person that has a right to ask is Mike D or some player that was not picked. They can reach out to Mark Wilson and ask why they weren't chosen and perhaps do something to change so they will be selected the following yearl.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you. I dont know why J Schmidt is on the team. He has not played last few years.

He's not on the team yet. Just one of the 8 finalist. Still has to earn it.

John is a self proclaimed sandwich artist. There are 3 others who are essentially regional short stops. They don't win pro open events and could not beat top talent in long races.

Ridiculous to form a team that has zero chance of winning. Cheapens the whole event really. Pro pool is more like APA anymore.

Someone finally managed to add in an APA bash. Wondered how long it would take.

takeitdown...You really know nothing about team sports. You must be too young to remember the "Miracle on Ice", when the US Olympic hockey team took down the behemoth USSR hockey team. There was NO way they could win...but they did.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Good example. The Russians knew they were big favorites. I think they got complacent, and by the time they realized team USA was for real, it was too late to catch up. Problem with my analogy is I don't expect team Europe to show ANY signs of complacency. They will come out and go for the throat!

I'm not sure who Europe's picks are but rest assured, they will be a force to be reckoned with. The young guns on team USA I researched are awesome players. I just hope they are mentally prepared to deal with the crowd at Blackpool!

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding keeping Mike off the MC, it would be useful if people on AZB who are defending Mike's behavior would just take a look at past threads regarding him. There is no doubt he is qualified to play on the team skill wise. It might also be useful if you have seen his behavior in tournaments. Well, it wouldn't take anyone very long to know that he shouldn't be representing the USA in the Mosconi Cup.. This is the only Pool event that is prestigious. It's akin to the Davis Cup and the Ryder Cup. In the end, Mike has time to straighten himself out and become a member of the team. But only if he wants to.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must say it was nice to see Mike respond here. I tip my hat to you, more players should post here. :thumbup:
I would like to know how Mike feels about Earl and his game.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you think Mike would be the favorite in a all around against all the players picked except Shane? If Justin keeps improving at the rate he's been doing, he will beat Mike in a all around within a year. I would also think John would be the favorite over Mike in a all around and Corey.

This is not an all around event it is 9 ball. Mike can give the 7 Ball to most on the current roster.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The abysmal performance and subsequent PR disaster that was the last Mosconi Cup demanded a strong response. The lack of leadership shown by Johnny Archer, who is first and foremost a politician of the Charlie Williams ilk and has no team building skills created a team that was fuelled by bigmouth bullshit and bravado. It put the very credibility of this event in jeopardy.

Mark Wilson is an excellent choice to respond to the challenge. He clearly understands the rebuild that is needed to clear the air and re-establish this event as a major competition between two strong teams.

Clearly, there are players that will not respond to positive leadership. They have shown that they will not change; everything is about them. Leave them off.

However, I respectfully suggest that Mark not over react and leave players of Mike DeChaines calibre off until you make a proper determination of how they would respond to proper leadership. You may be pleasantly surprised.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The abysmal performance and subsequent PR disaster that was the last Mosconi Cup demanded a strong response. The lack of leadership shown by Johnny Archer, who is first and foremost a politician of the Charlie Williams ilk and has no team building skills created a team that was fuelled by bigmouth bullshit and bravado. It put the very credibility of this event in jeopardy.

Mark Wilson is an excellent choice to respond to the challenge. He clearly understands the rebuild that is needed to clear the air and re-establish this event as a major competition between two strong teams.

Clearly, there are players that will not respond to positive leadership. They have shown that they will not change; everything is about them. Leave them off.

However, I respectfully suggest that Mark not over react and leave players of Mike DeChaines calibre off until you make a proper determination of how they would respond to proper leadership. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Pretty harsh toward Johnny arnt you? If he had any failure, it was he took on too much. I feel the team would have been far better off if Johnny would have concentrated on playing and let Buddy to the captains work.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is a self proclaimed sandwich artist. There are 3 others who are essentially regional short stops. They don't win pro open events and could not beat top talent in long races.

Ridiculous to form a team that has zero chance of winning. Cheapens the whole event really. Pro pool is more like APA anymore.

Every person on the team has won more than their share of open events.

As far as not being able to beat top talent in long races, well I guess it's a good thing the Mosconi Cup is a short race format.

Every person on the team has won more than their share of open events.

As far as not being able to beat top talent in long races, well I guess it's a good thing the Mosconi Cup is a short race format.

So out of the 8 how many of them should beat Hohman Soquet or Immonen?Answer: Other than SVB nobody.

So how do they expect to win? Answer: They don't and neither should you.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So out of the 8 how many of them should beat Hohman Soquet or Immonen?Answer: Other than SVB nobody.

So how do they expect to win? Answer: They don't and neither should you.

Corey Deuel took Darren Appleton in the USBTC In 8 ball. Anything is possible. I am just going to have faith. Not going to give up on them before the contest even starts.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This goes out to mark Wilson our brilliant mosconi cup captain. Nice finish by mike dechaine finishing 1st in 9 ball an 3rd in 10 ball in Canada . But he ain't good enough to make your top 8 cut? Mine as well of picked Stevie wonder to be the captain cuz you can see talent if it bit u in the a*%

This may be in the thread already and I apologize if it is but I am curious what Mike's record is in Mosconi cup play. That may have factored into the decision along with attitude.

-don

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name the 5 players out of the 8 on the roster he can give the 7 ball to? And then let us know if you are willig to fund your brain.
Mike gave the 7 to Ruslan Chinahov at derby this year and Mike got the cheese, Ruslan came 4th in the 9ball.... thats pretty strong if you ask me..... Ruslan ran a 6 pack in the set and Mike still won....

Cashrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Word up !!

Name the 5 players out of the 8 on the roster he can give the 7 ball to? And then let us know if you are willig to fund your brain.

Yes ..like the commercial lm trapped in days gone by..

but apparently so is watchez...when he says put your money where that mouth is ..

good on watchez...but nobody wears anymore...got mine tho ,,and it light ups in the datk

fer spec.ops.

dumping mike and not adding joey dupuis is a strategic wash...we still suck