So what's the deal with glove hatred in the pool room?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Dont see the need for a glove. imo its a gimmick. kudos to the inventor though, the gimmick sells. Keep your hands clean, keep your hands dry (towel, talc) problem solved.

The glove falls in the category of magnetic chalk holders, cue extensions, and what ever gizmo touted to improve your game.

Yeah, if only he had a $4K cue so he could "improve his game" :rolleyes: I'm guessing you don't even see the irony here, but that's OK, I didn't expect you to....

Last edited:

kenny_74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love using a glove and I never get looks but even if I did I wouldn't care, why would you? Low self esteem? You don't like peer pressure? Gloves are better for me especially in high humidity. I don't like using chalk and I feel a better stroke with it.

syphinhex

Registered
I love using a glove and I never get looks but even if I did I wouldn't care, why would you? Low self esteem? You don't like peer pressure? Gloves are better for me especially in high humidity. I don't like using chalk and I feel a better stroke with it.

I was looking for answers/opinions--such as "Wearing a glove is bad because people think they're like cheating, etc." Sort of like how metal spikes when I used to play baseball were banned--I had no idea why until I asked. I hope insecurity, low self-esteem, etc. isn't how my inquiries came across. lol

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not normally play with a glove. However, I carry one in my case. They come in real handy when you are playing in a place that the AC is not keeping up and or the humidity is high. I live in the Houston area and that comes up frequently.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not normally play with a glove. However, I carry one in my case. They come in real handy when you are playing in a place that the AC is not keeping up and or the humidity is high. I live in the Houston area and that comes up frequently.

This is me as well. And a glove normally came out only in summer in New England. But now I live in St Pete, so it comes up a lot.

I own six or seven gloves. Sometimes I wear one; sometimes I don't. I'll know pretty quickly if I'm in a room that Ill need to wear one.

Freddie <~~~ it ain't nothing but a glove

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ok, some folks are using the word "gay" in a way not usually intended. Maybe it has changed, I'm not sure. Well, they did an episode on South Park about the use of the word "fags".... and it was not meant in any way to make fun of gays.... they kids on the show used the word fags to described obnoxious people, like Harley riders, who make a lot of noise on their motorcycles. If you watch the clip, the riders even make "cycle" noises when they are off their bikes... kinda funny.

And the gay folks in town finally understand the meaning is not slanderous to them. The gay leader asks "are we fags".. and the kids respond "well, do you ride a motorcycle and completely obnoxious", and the gay leader says "no", the kids say then "you're not a fag." Then the gay leader asks "what if I'm gay but am thinking about buying a motorcycle", the kids answer, oh, you would be "bi-ke curious" The gay group finally joins the kids in trying to get rid of the biker fags from South Park

Here is a short clip from that episode. Even if you don't like South Park, it's kinda funny ;) At the end of the episode the bikers finally realize they are fags ( in the meaning they are mean and obnoxious) and now like being called fags :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xGyKBFCd_u4

Last edited:

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
If we are being honest with ourselves you would have to admit that wearing a pool glove does "Look Gay"

LOL
I'm just busting balls here
OH SHITE I just noticed that "Sounds Gay" :yikes:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Right.... now go get your shoe shine box!

If we are being honest with ourselves you would have to admit that wearing a pool glove does "Look Gay"

LOL
I'm just busting balls here
OH SHITE I just noticed that "Sounds Gay" :yikes:

Busting balls is a long time-honored tradition in all cue sports. Point of fact, it is almost a requirement that you bust some balls at some point.

Regards,

Lesh

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it....10 dollars is too high a cost? When I spent 2k on my cue what makes anyone think 10 bucks is a waste? And explain why it's better to carry a hand towel around with you to constantly wipe your hands and shaft than to wear a glove and stay on focusing on your shot the whole time? And even more importantly, why is it better for me to clean my shaft twice and evening than to usr a glove and keep it good? Have you every driven a car that has only been driven with driving gloves? The steering wheel feels perfect, not a drop of sticky sweat, I suppose it's better to steer with your knees and constantly dry your hands with a sweat towel you keep nearby than to use driving gloves. I never even tried a closed bridge until I started wearing a glove, now I use it 70% of the time and hardly ever have to clean my shaft. If you think it's a gimmick and carrying a sweaty hand towel around is the way to go there is no reasoning with u

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
have vs need

I carry a towel, seldom use it.

I carry a glove, use it even less than the towel.

I carry a 1911, have never used it, thank god.

But I have it should I need it.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I just started wearing one a couple months ago. I had a small abrasion on my bridge hand, and occasionally my cue would "catch" on it, only slightly, just enough for me to notice. My buddy dug out a glove that he kept as a "just in case" and I stopped thinking about it.

Which of course got me to thinking later on....if wearing the foolish thing eliminates one possible distraction for me, why not keep using it?

I'm just a dumb league player, so I guess it helps fit the stereotype. And I don't really care. All I know is that I'm not so good at this that I can afford any distractions that I have the ability to prevent. I need all the help I can get.

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only glove I think I ever really hated was the Michael Jackson glittery one. It was silly, superficial nonsense when MJ wore it. It was completely absurd, mindless idolatry when fans did.

I will wear a pool glove when it's hot and humid. If the air is dry, I don't. And no, I don't have any problem adjusting.

Dont know if anyone has respond to it, but MJ wore the glittery glove because the illness that made his skin white started from his hand. He tried to hide it as long as he could.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley gave out aprons to everyone at the 1988 VNEA Championships. I did not wear it partly because it didn't do any good being 6' 5", but I certainly wouldn't wear it at a bar or pool hall due to the reaction it would generate. I never saw anyone else with it either. The only benefit it gave was to protect your clothes from the side of the table and it had a couple pockets.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I would hazard a guess that most people who don't use a glove or powder likely have pretty weak bridges... Maybe not all.....

I had played for years and thought my bridges were fine and Lee Brett came thru and pointed out how weak all of my bridge techniques were... They were either not stable enough or the bridge was too loose and didn't have enough contact points....

I have weakness in the ring and little finger on my bridge hand from carpel tunnel so I went out and bought a glove with a leather patch on the palm so the glove would have a little more grip on the table and then went to work on retooling the various bridges to maximize linear contact points...

I immediately saw several of my problem shots jump up into the realm of just another shot to shoot without stressing over the outcome....

I wore the glove out and have yet to replace it but the work I put in is still there... What I do know is without the glove I have drag thru my bridges which in the old days would make me think the bridge is too tight but my percentages say completely differently on pocketing and position play.....

A little powder works just fine but I prefer the glove to the mess... Gotta stop by the supply store next time I am out and pick up a cpl.....

Chris

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look it has changed a bit from when I was an everyday player, but the way it USED TO BE - and im guessing is where this stems from NONE of the top or even better players from the area used a glove. The ONLY PEOPLE with a glove were fish. Period. I know this has changed but that is how it was and im sure that is where the sentiment comes from.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To those who are insisting you just need to wash your hands and dry them instead of wearing a glove, that is just plain nonsense. As any dermatologist, or female, would tell you, there are lots of different types of skin and skin problems. Some people sweat persistently, some peeps get oily skin instantly, others are sticky, some people react to what they ate, and some people live in parts of the country with wicked humidity, etc.. etc..

Now that being said, if somebody wants to wear a glove, for any reason or even no reason, whatever... It doesn't affect anybody else's life and it's a free country. So it's really a waste of time to worry about it, and serious waste of everybody else's time to moan about it. It's not as if somebody got a long-a55 cue stick and strapped a bunch of weights to their arm to try to improve their game.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gloves hit the pool scene around here I guess about a year or so after I first started playing (I've been playing daily for 25 years.) I wore one immediately because it just made sense and yes I caught a lot of flack about it but I never hear anything anymore locally or going to big regional or national tournaments. A lot of people wear them now who used to make fun of stuff before. I never understood what the big deal was..They help give me the same stroke and feel every shot.. I thought consistency was a good thing lol

Btw I just got one of these at the super billiards expo.. fingerless glove by a company that focuses on billiards.

http://www.loontjensbilliards.com/molinari-glove-black-r

They fit great and actually breath a little.. I've been wearing every day to play since the super billiards expo and it's still in perfect condition.