So what's the deal with glove hatred in the pool room?

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a sworn glove user, and yes, I confirm we are all definitely gay. No doubt about that.

That is no reason for discrimination or hatred, though.

Not allowed to call something gay anymore? How 'bout effeminate, like a yellow VW beetle, a Harley pirate, rhinestone cowboys, or dare I say pool glove.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not allowed to call something gay anymore? How 'bout effeminate, like a yellow VW beetle, a Harley pirate, rhinestone cowboys, or dare I say pool glove.

No, you are not allowed to use a word out of context.
Clearly you are using the word in a negative and demeaning way.

By the way, please explain how a pool glove is effeminate? You must believe that Shane Van Boening is on the verge of becoming a woman.

syphinhex

Registered

I think where you lost everyone is calling an inanimate object gay, which is literally an impossible scenario. Though, I'm still not seeing a strong argument for anything you've said--perhaps if pool gloves all had floral patterns, or Hello Kitty on them or something? Anyways from what I've gathered, they're mostly looked down upon(if at all) by insecure people.

Headed to break some racks, thanks for the responses--hope everyone has a great day.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

You're allowed to use the word 'gay' in a demeaning context. The question is, are you as narrow-minded and demeaning as using the word in this context implies you are?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The only glove I think I ever really hated was the Michael Jackson glittery one. It was silly, superficial nonsense when MJ wore it. It was completely absurd, mindless idolatry when fans did.

I will wear a pool glove when it's hot and humid. If the air is dry, I don't. And no, I don't have any problem adjusting.

Wrong tread.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think where you lost everyone is calling an inanimate object gay, which is literally an impossible scenario. Though, I'm still not seeing a strong argument for anything you've said--perhaps if pool gloves all had floral patterns, or Hello Kitty on them or something? Anyways from what I've gathered, they're mostly looked down upon(if at all) by insecure people.

Headed to break some racks, thanks for the responses--hope everyone has a great day.

In a word, it's homophobia. That's all. Those insecure with their own masculinity are the first to point fingers at something not in line with "he-man traditional male values," and refer to it as "gay."

I have a set of Nancy Cote's FingerSlides in my cue case for those days when the humidity is beyond the realm of talc or corn starch. I don't wear them all the time, because I like the freedom to switch hands (ambidexterity) to shoot shots opposite-handed when I need to.

-Sean

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a couple Poison billiards gloves, I think they look pretty cool, they keep me from getting chalk on myself/clothes, I don't have to run my hand over a chalk block that thousands of people have touched and probably the best part is I've noticed a slight improvement on shot control.

Yet it's commonly shunned, first I've seen on these forums and then in actual pool rooms, etc. So what's the deal? Why do people hate them/the people wearing them so much?

I carry my own powder. I prefer it over a glove. I haven't noticed the hatred of gloves but if a glove helped my game I would wear it and I wouldn't give a $#*! what anybody thought.

The only downside I see is if you are trying to lay low and make a few bucks the glove attracts unwanted attention.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're allowed to use the word 'gay' in a demeaning context. The question is, are you as narrow-minded and demeaning as using the word in this context implies you are?

Yes, I suppse I'm just an old hillbilly.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Because stereotypically gay men would have soft hands and not need a glove, men who work hard and have rough, calloused, scarred up hands benefit very much from a glove (welder/fabricator speaking here). calling gloves gay lacks logic. I wouldnt use one at a bar because of the ignorant comments, but i also wouldnt take my custom to the bar. i dont use my good cue without a glove if i can at all help it

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The homosexual community hijacked the word "gay" and changed the meaning from happy, to a term that describes them. So why can't anyone take that word and use it for another meaning, as in something that is ridiculous? Why does the homosexual community get a pass to redifine the English language?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Offended anyone? I doubt it.
We just find your attitude pitiful.

When you say we, are you speaking on behalf of others?

Could it be that Mitch was just funning a little, in fact, much milder than we see on tv sitcoms these days?

I'm really not sure whether or not he was but just putting it out there.

best,
brian kc

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straight guy playing in a gay bar explain that to the wife

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk