Mike Dechaine

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
You repeatedly say Mark has an issue with "the pros." Mark's issue is not with "the pros" it is with a few specific pro players and with good reason in those select cases.

Lou Figueroa

That was my first thought, as well.

Seems like Mark is still providing quite a bit of money to pro players this year. Its just not available to all of them currently. Still, several pro players will be better off because of Mark this year. Doesn't seem like he is anti-pro to me...

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are seeing things through the eyes of Mark imo. I also believe Mark lays blame on the pros too much instead of owning up to his own contributions to the problems with pro pool being lack of promotion and lack of building relationships with a lot of the people do to his own actions a lot of times.. For example he will not admit that a lack of fan base is related to his promoting at all and instead every excuse has to do with the pros in some way. Also, it is commonly preached that pros are not loyal and have a problem of disrespect towards "promoters" that needs to be addressed. However they showed the opposite of those traits to Larry and Bonusball. There was respect and the effort to help build the sport into something great.

No doubt someone is going to point out the problems with Bonusball but if they do they missed the point of my post entirely or are just trying to deflect.

And you are missing out on WHY they had that loyalty to BB, and what happened to that loyalty when the $$ didn't come through. They thought they had an easy guaranteed payday just for showing up.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
And you are missing out on WHY they had that loyalty to BB, and what happened to that loyalty when the $$ didn't come through. They thought they had an easy guaranteed payday just for showing up.

Shane & Dechaine didn't do Bonus Ball.
;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This incident was handled perfectly. Thorstan played a shot and didn't call it. Or called it in a way that I or no one else understood. He got very upset. We went outback and everything was worked out. I said, I believe you played it, you just forgot to say it. I let him shoot because I respect him as a player and a person.

Mike is not only a good player, he's a pretty good poster.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some folks are un-coachable.

You can't teach a dog to be a cat.

My wife got a Pomeranian from a lady that raised it around cats. The stupid dog even used a litter box. It didn't know how to play like a dog. I had to teach it to act like a dog. I swear to God its true! Lol

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is Mikes attitude any worse than Earls for the team? Mike may be cocky
at times but I don't see him having ballistic fits throughout entire events.
He's worthy of being on the team and after last year, actually anybody is.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How is Mikes attitude any worse than Earls for the team? Mike may be cocky
at times but I don't see him having ballistic fits throughout entire events.
He's worthy of being on the team and after last year, actually anybody is.

I'm going to say it one more time.
Teams should have spares.
This allows the captain to have teeth....he can bench a player for playing
or acting bad.

My sympathy goes to Johnny Archer last year....he was basically helpless
because he needed all five players. If he could've benched the first who acted up...
...the others would've got the message.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's look at some facts. Matchroom own the Mosconi Cup event. They find the sponsorship to support it. They stage the event and arrange for it to be broadcast on a worldwide scale.
The appointed the Captain who was given parameters to work with and they entrusted him to carry the task through. That is the end of story. Mark is doing the job and a mammoth task he has taken on.

He has taken great pains to do it right and this has proved itself by the reaction the squad got in San Diego.

So he does not have to answer to anyone. He will provide a product in Blackpool - The US Mosconi Cup Team and people can embrace his choices and watch them or they can find another way to spend December 1st to 4th..

It is great that people have opinions but some posters are downright nasty towards him just because they favor this player or that player.

If your man is not there then you don't have to watch Mark's team. But one thing is for sure and that is no amount of wailing or gnashing of teeth is going to get a spot for anybody who is not already on the squad.

liakos

Banned
Let's look at some facts. Matchroom own the Mosconi Cup event. They find the sponsorship to support it. They stage the event and arrange for it to be broadcast on a worldwide scale.
The appointed the Captain who was given parameters to work with and they entrusted him to carry the task through. That is the end of story. Mark is doing the job and a mammoth task he has taken on.

He has taken great pains to do it right and this has proved itself by the reaction the squad got in San Diego.

So he does not have to answer to anyone. He will provide a product in Blackpool - The US Mosconi Cup Team and people can embrace his choices and watch them or they can find another way to spend December 1st to 4th..

It is great that people have opinions but some posters are downright nasty towards him just because they favor this player or that player.

If your man is not there then you don't have to watch Mark's team. But one thing is for sure and that is no amount of wailing or gnashing of teeth is going to get a spot for anybody who is not already on the squad.

Well said! It's too bad "most" can't think like this. Pool would be in better place in the US! But hey, what can you do, people UNFORTUNATELY are entitled to there opinions!

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Let's look at some facts. Matchroom own the Mosconi Cup event. They find the sponsorship to support it. They stage the event and arrange for it to be broadcast on a worldwide scale....

....people can embrace his choices and watch them or they can find another way to spend December 1st to 4th....

If your man is not there then you don't have to watch Mark's team....

"consumers" have to be qualified, Honey.

- there will be 2-5 people from the US, attending BlackPool. (especially since it already sold out months ago @ 1000 seats)
- there weren't 50 people from the US @ last Mosconi @ Vegas, (of 600 seats)
- the stream, was free for US.

i personally, have a restored faith in pool with our new team & Mark Wilson coaching.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or acting bad.

My sympathy goes to Johnny Archer last year....he was basically helpless
because he needed all five players. If he could've benched the first who acted up...
...the others would've got the message.
I agree with you 100%.It might
make players think before acting. They might have a legitimate shot if they format
it the way you said.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
or acting bad.
The problem with this is that by the time the player has done whatever it is for which he deserves to be benched, the damage is already done. Team morale has already been affected, and/or our nation has already been embarrassed. So from that perspective it makes more sense to just start with players to begin with (including the "spares" if you have any) for whom you know (through their history) that there is almost no risk for behavior that is embarrassing to our country or damaging to team morale.

Now a great case can be made for having "spares" to substitute in for cases where somebody's performance is substandard and they aren't playing well. Not sure if the Mosconi Cup even allows substitutions though. I can't recall it ever happening, but of course that doesn't mean that it hasn't or couldn't. That brings up the whole personal preference thing though. I would probably prefer that there are no substitutions allowed except in cases of emergency, like serious illness, death in the family, etc. For this particular format, I say stick with the same players you started with. Not sure what other's preferences would be.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Getting ready for round two after Mike won the Ginky Memorial.
I think he beat Mika.
It just gets better

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is a great player that may slump here and there but he's only human.
Most people that I know hate when he does his racking antics but besides
that he seems like a down to earth guy. This game brings out the worst in a lot
of players including the pros.
From what I've seen in Mike over the past few years is pretty timid compared
to others. I think within the next year he will cross the barrier and become
a all in all monster player.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people that I know hate when he does his racking antics but besidesthat he seems like a down to earth guy. This game brings out the worst in a lot of players including the pros.

The pool elders have raised our youngest generation of players to manipulate, finagle, and argue at the front end of our short games. Everyone does it. If they don't, they can't win. It is part of the culture of the game in 2014. Now we are going to condemn a player to hell because he does it better than everyone else?

Please, don't come back with "neutral rackers" and 'magic racks". Neither work and never will, besides, this thread is about MD.

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you and I personally hate the Magic Rack. I personally
like Mikes game and think if someone doesn't like someone, they will find an excuse
not to like him. What I was pointing out is that when he gets into the dissecting of
the rack in a match some people just find it hard to watch, especially when it
sometimes hits the 10 min mark.
Watching him run out is another story, superb player.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MD certainly has issues at times....but he is also clearly...the next best American player south of SVB. The fact that he is still so young..coupled with the fact that he wins tournaments...frequently- should of earned him a spot on Team USA. His past Mosconi experiences could of only helped him.

This years team would of provided a different atmosphere. Dechaine's upside would of been worth the risk.

Look at it like this....who on this squad wants any part of MD in any rotation game besides SVB?

MD certainly has issues at times....but he is also clearly...the next best American player south of SVB. The fact that he is still so young..coupled with the fact that he wins tournaments...frequently- should of earned him a spot on Team USA. His past Mosconi experiences could of only helped him.

This years team would of provided a different atmosphere. Dechaine's upside would of been worth the risk.

Look at it like this....who on this squad wants any part of MD in any rotation game besides SVB?

Nobody wants any.

If SVB wasn't so dominant Mike would have a few more big titles under his belt. I expect that Mike's best years are just ahead of him.

He will be a monster player for many years to come. Anything he gets he has more than earned. To pass him over for guys he could spot the 7 is laughable.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody wants any.

If SVB wasn't so dominant Mike would have a few more big titles under his belt. I expect that Mike's best years are just ahead of him.

He will be a monster player for many years to come. Anything he gets he has more than earned. To pass him over for guys he could spot the 7 is laughable.

Your dreaming