cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Sports outfit.

HOSU233-700x700.jpg

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will agree with Renfro and Buckshot and add in order for Pool to advance in this country we have to put in place a way to add fun to the Amateur scenario and make the fun something we focus on in order to bring people into Pool.

As time goes by people can decide to make a serious individual endeavor picking up the level of competition but the problem is we need to be able to recruit from a higher demographic of people. The old demographic is disappearing and they really don't spend much money which is evident in the closing of rooms.

Is attracting more people to play pool the way to grow the sport? Or is cultivating a large audience to watch it on TV a better way to do that?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will agree with Renfro and Buckshot and add in order for Pool to advance in this country we have to put in place a way to add fun to the Amateur scenario and make the fun something we focus on in order to bring people into Pool.

As time goes by people can decide to make a serious individual endeavor picking up the level of competition but the problem is we need to be able to recruit from a higher demographic of people. The old demographic is disappearing and they really don't spend much money which is evident in the closing of rooms.

I agree, but unfortunately America simply will not STOP GAMBLING in order for this to happen... :thumb up:

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is attracting more people to play pool the way to grow the sport? Or is cultivating a large audience to watch it on TV a better way to do that?

I think for TV producers to consider televising a sporting/gaming event, there needs to be a sizable audience already in place. Producers and advertisers see $$ potential based on audience size.

This topic might already be active in another thread ?

Last edited:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for TV producers to consider televising a sporting/gaming event, there needs to be a sizable audience already in place. Producers and advertisers see $$ potential based on audience size.

This topic might already be active in another thread ?

I don't get the chance to read all the threads, or for that matter not even most of them, so I don't know.

Seems to me like nothing drove people to the pool rooms like pool movies or the TV coverage that used to be on ESPN.

They are showing re runs of Honey Boo Boo on TV these days .. I mean really?

Today there are more sports networks than ever. Pool produced correctly for TV would have a market today, in my humble opinion. I know that I would watch .. LOL

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get the chance to read all the threads, or for that matter not even most of them, so I don't know.

Seems to me like nothing drove people to the pool rooms like pool movies or the TV coverage that used to be on ESPN.

They are showing re runs of Honey Boo Boo on TV these days .. I mean really?

Today there are more sports networks than ever. Pool produced correctly for TV would have a market today, in my humble opinion. I know that I would watch .. LOL

No doubt Color of Money had a tremendous impact on pool. TV coverage USED to be on ESPN. If ESPN and advertisers were still making money, it would still be on TV.

Almost anything produced correctly can have a market. Of all the choices of what to market, pool is not popular in comparison. Much easier to market something that already has a good following or is new with potential.

Showing re-runs have minimal production costs and no investment $. Much easier and less risky to fill empty TV space with a minimal cost re-run.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Anyone putting F1 racing drivers behind badminton is obviously an idiot. There is not much info in that result set that anyone can be taken seriously. The F1 drivers compete in triathlons and such during the off season just for fun.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool on TV is just not watchable by the general public. Its too boring. People who play pool would rather play than watch. And if they are going to watch, than they'll watch accu_stats, commercial free with quality commentators and learn something as well. So let's get off the Pool should be on TV notion.

Pool a sport? Who cares, really.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Pool on TV is just not watchable by the general public. Its too boring. People who play pool would rather play than watch. And if they are going to watch, than they'll watch accu_stats, commercial free with quality commentators and learn something as well. So let's get off the Pool should be on TV notion.

Pool a sport? Who cares, really.

Same goes for beach volleyball, lingerie football and bowling. Boxing is on the decline more money is being invested in MMA. MMA is huge right now.

When a sport is endorsed by higher education or secondary education a lot of money gets invested into future generations. In terms of events and players.

justnum

Silver Member
Yeah, I don't think they should be Olympic sports. Look, the Miracle On Ice is incredible but I think the world could have a hockey contest similar to The World Cup of Soccer. The Olympics itself should be, as you suggested I meant, about running, jumping, swimming, lifting, throwing. Stuff like that.

That said, once the door is opened to allow all the other stuff, pool fits in nicely.

Pool does not fit in nicely with Olympics because the skill level of those events is immediately seen.

An easy shot is on the table it stays an easy shot. In team sports easy shots can be tough shots when defenders play a role.

In pool when a pro is on a roll, every shot looks easy.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool does not fit in nicely with Olympics because the skill level of those events is immediately seen.

An easy shot is on the table it stays an easy shot. In team sports easy shots can be tough shots when defenders play a role.

No, I beg to differ. I think curling is a complete joke. Give me a lesson in skating backwards and a couple of hours with a stone and I'm 3:2 underdog to win Gold in the next one.

justnum

Silver Member
No, I beg to differ. I think curling is a complete joke. Give me a lesson in skating backwards and a couple of hours with a stone and I'm 3:2 underdog to win Gold in the next one.

Isn't that the point Olympics to identify the new generation of athletes.

Any newbie can enter and win. Experience helps but the factors of youth are more significant.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Mention that to the Pro Snooker players in Europe, I'm sure you'll get a response. 90% + of all billiard products sold in the US are to homeowners. I'm sure the statistics were mostly along these lines, and we all know how knowledgeable home owners of pool tables are about the sport. This graph shows that perfectly. Now Bowling :rolleyes:..........Did I miss it, or is golf NOT on that list? I know the top players HAVE to be in shape to win.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

They don't skate in curling and you would have zero shot. Pool looks easy too, until you try it.

Also, comparing your boring and non athletic sport to another boring and non athletic sport doesn't help your cause.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
Christ, there was Solo Synchronized Swimming. I can't make this shit up.

How new Olympic sports are selected is a curious topic?
When basketball made it to Olympics it had been wildly popular in the US. (It was officially a college sport)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't skate in curling and you would have zero shot. Pool looks easy too, until you try it.

Also, comparing your boring and non athletic sport to another boring and non athletic sport doesn't help your cause.

Actually, my "cause" is for the Olympics to be about basic athleticism. I don't think curling or pool truly belong. I was just saying if they're going to do all the crazy stuff they do now, then why not pool.