Is Pool a Sport?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/8/19/6044393/is-it-a-sport-chart-nascar-bowling-ultimate-frisbee

KwK1MZu.png

No words.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's some interesting statistics.

sport
spôrt/Submit
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

I'm pretty sure that all of them are sports, except poker. Although, I would put "Archery and "Riflery"" in a seperate category under "Shooting Sports." I also see any form of racing, as racing, and not a sport, but it's own respective phenomenon.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I also have to wonder if people know what curling is.

Yes, I"m pretty sure it's the only sport I could have medaled in if I knew what it was when I was younger ;) Geez, I coulda been somebody, I coulda been a contender :)

Last edited:

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
mentally challenging, perhaps, at times, close or equal to chess.

skillful; you betcha. that muscle memory, perfect pendulum, alignment, vision, speed spin, etc, etc, etc...

Exertion; not so much. at least not unless you want to count l-o-n-g sets of gambling or similat that go on for many hours, even days.

imo, were a combo, somewhere around 50/50, sprt and a game.

glad I could clear this up for everyone. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how definitive a Reddit poll could be , but it only really matters to those who are insecure and want what they enjoy to be approved by the majority .I consider jockeys and horses athletes therefore it is a sport to them but not trainers , it is a business to them .

I posted this because it's a recurring topic on azb and truthfully, this is the first time I've seen a poll outside of poolworld that addresses this question we've all asked at one time or another.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I consider Pool to be a sport that requires skill to be good at like other sports. Sad thing is about Pool is most who are top players struggle to make a living at the game.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah it's a sport, not that I really care how anyone chooses to classify it.

In fact, I would have to categorize pool as a Super Sport when it is played on a ten footer.

By definition Pool is a sport when played competitively on any table.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this because it's a recurring topic on azb and truthfully, this is the first time I've seen a poll outside of poolworld that addresses this question we've all asked at one time or another.

Yeah , i know , just talking about how some people let others dictate to them what they enjoy . Kind of like a mullet haircut or skinny peg leg jeans or cowboy boots:smile , if that is what you like , hey.:smile:

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
Anyone else play the long day tournaments where you start at noon and finish at 3 or 4 in the morning? I would say the endurance requirements of pool move it into the sport category.

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else play the long day tournaments where you start at noon and finish at 3 or 4 in the morning? I would say the endurance requirements of pool move it into the sport category.

Except that anything you do for 15 hours straight takes endurance. Pool just takes less than most activities because you sit down half the time, and stroll around a table the other half.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is debatable who actually said this, but most point to Albert Einstein. ...
"Billiards is the well developed art of thinking ahead. Its not only a game, but first and
foremost a demanding sport, which requires good stamina, the logical thinking of a chess player,
and the stable hand of a concert pianist".

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Yes, I"m pretty sure it's the only sport I could have medaled in if I knew what it was when I was younger ;) Geez, I could be somebody, I coulda been a contender :)

Woah, woah easy on the curling guys...
I was a curler all through high school and it ain't an easy sport. (I'm Canadian, of course)

A lot of it is similar to pool, where you're shooting lags, stop shots, caroms and combinations, except you're throwing a 50-pound slab of granite to a target that's 120 feet away... on ice.

Bob Herrmann

I seem to remember a George Carlin routine discussing what activity's are sports. If my memory is correct, he thought that for something to be a sport there had to be some chance of getting hurt while doing it. So if you see someone coming out of a pool hall with a cue shoved up their butt, that just might be a sports related injury.

Matt Tatum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a sport. The difference between a game and a sport is in the concept. Games symbolise concepts ie: chess, a war; monopoly, getting rich, etc. The pieces symbolise and therefore the same game can be played twice. In sports, the same game can never be played twice, because there is always the difficulty of real measurements: the difference between a metre, centremetre, milimetre, and so on into infinity. Hence, pool is a sport.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mentally challenging, perhaps, at times, close or equal to chess.

skillful; you betcha. that muscle memory, perfect pendulum, alignment, vision, speed spin, etc, etc, etc...

Exertion; not so much. at least not unless you want to count l-o-n-g sets of gambling or similat that go on for many hours, even days.

imo, were a combo, somewhere around 50/50, sprt and a game.

glad I could clear this up for everyone. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

Did you seriously say pool is close to being as mentally challenging as chess????? I don't think so. It definitely has its strong mental aspects, but not even close to chess.

I do not think it is a sport. Obviously a highly skilled event, but I consider it a skilled game instead of a sport.