Dymondwood troubles

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rutland Plywood burnt to the ground today. Looks like Atlas has doubled their price on all remaining stock and is looking for new supplier.

Guess this means a price increase on jump and jump/break cues. I hope they can find another supplier soon.

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Rutland Plywood burnt to the ground today. Looks like Atlas has doubled their price on all remaining stock and is looking for new supplier.

Guess this means a price increase on jump and jump/break cues. I hope they can find another supplier soon.

Sad to hear about Rutland and yes I would say the have doubled the price already! I know supply and demand but I still don't have much respect for companies that bought their current stock at the normal everyday price and now more than doubling money on it.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear about Rutland and yes I would say the have doubled the price already! I know supply and demand but I still don't have much respect for companies that bought their current stock at the normal everyday price and now more than doubling money on it.

This will effect a lot of people including the 170 that are now out of work. Wonder how long before they are up and running again?

RBC

Deceased

Certainly bad news that's for sure. I don't like seeing any company go down like that.

However, Rutland wasn't the only game in town either, so I don't think it should have much of a long term effect on pricing.

I do have to differ a little on your pricing thoughts though. Price, is dependent predominantly on supply and demand. Cost doesn't really have anything to do with it. If it did, then this Ferrari sale would be criminal!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-tag-sets-car-auction-record/article20095346/
I know it seems somewhat unfair when something goes up in value and the owner just gets lucky, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. As for doubling the money, I think you would be amazed at how little most main stream items actually cost to make. Believe me, they are much much more than doubling their money! The only industry I know of where doubling your money is good, is pool. Every where else, it's more like quadruple your money is ok, but double that again is good.

I'm sure that the other plywood companies will fill the demand soon.

Royce

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just happened at the wrong time for me. I had ordered enough from Rutland to keep me busy for 6 months or so and was expecting by the end of September. The price was about the same as Atlas price as they get a way larger price break than I do. I was still going to order from Atlas and keep mine in reserve for when they run out of the hot colors and then use mine.

Atlas said they found another supplier but they only sold sheets and that they would have to find a way to cut and dowel.

Hopefully Rutland can rebuild as they have 170 souls out of work and that is far worst than me not getting dymondwood. They are in my prayers.

Alex

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Certainly bad news that's for sure. I don't like seeing any company go down like that.

However, Rutland wasn't the only game in town either, so I don't think it should have much of a long term effect on pricing.

I do have to differ a little on your pricing thoughts though. Price, is dependent predominantly on supply and demand. Cost doesn't really have anything to do with it. If it did, then this Ferrari sale would be criminal!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-tag-sets-car-auction-record/article20095346/
I know it seems somewhat unfair when something goes up in value and the owner just gets lucky, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. As for doubling the money, I think you would be amazed at how little most main stream items actually cost to make. Believe me, they are much much more than doubling their money! The only industry I know of where doubling your money is good, is pool. Every where else, it's more like quadruple your money is ok, but double that again is good.

Royce
The biggest problem is not us paying more for some plywood but an American Company has been destroyed and families incomes have been affected.

Royce like I said, I do understand "Supply and Demand" pricing. I also am very aware of the cost of goods and mark up structures. I deal with it everyday. The MORE than doubling their money was more of an expression than a calculated number. I doubt Alex will be able to get double his current pricing for his break cues. Now using a collectible car with some incredible history and comparing it to some plywood would not be the same. That was also an auction. Let Atlas auction off the stuff and then the true supply and demand would shine through. ;)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
$5 for a bag of ice. FO..................

I finally found something I disagree with Royce about; profiteering.

Being in the hurricane area, I have seen some pretty unreasonable pricing when supply runs low or out. I guess I am used to being exploited because of the supply and demand problems we have when disaster hits down here in Louisiana but it is still a bitter pill to swallow.

170 people lost their jobs and I just wonder if Rutland will ever go back into business.

JoeyA

Royce

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joey,
Thanks for the link - what a fire! - what a sad day for the owners and employees:(

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
price gouging is still price gouging no matter the circumstance. when 911 happened we were forced to land in Kansas City. suddenly everyone was panicked and started preparing for doomsday. gas stations doubled their prices. rental car prices went up tremendously. price gouging to profit more from tragedy is illegal and immoral in my opinion.