Fantastic Old Pic!

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spotted this today on the 'TheChive.com', thought it was a great old pic and wanted to share, courtesy of the Chive.

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
That is a small billiard table. Thanks for sharing the pic with us. It is a great pic.

That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture...not the guy with the braces around his legs but the size of the pool table! :eek:

That seals it...I'm officially an addict...

Thanks for the pic!

-Brian

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture...not the guy with the braces around his legs but the size of the pool table! :eek:

That seals it...I'm officially an addict...

Thanks for the pic!

-Brian

-Ditto^^^... looks like a 3 cushion bar box...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played on a table like that, 4x8 converted to pockets.
It's a two or four piece slate so you could see the slate line in the side pockets.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen this before. I forget where. Note the young man has his pants rolled up to display the fact that he has two prosthetic limbs. The braces are part of the limbs stabilizing the thigh corset to the leg portion. Both legs are amputated below the knee.

This was at a period in time when pool/billiards was most popular and this image was to illustrate it was possible for him to play this quite popular game despite his disadvantage. (A public doubt existed towards people with handicaps for quite sometime). This illustration may have been part of an advertisement with the details of the table not significant based on the real message.

Prosthetics have come a long way, not only mechanically and technically but additionally, public perception and acceptance.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
saw a table with eight actual pockets once

That ball goes in 6 of the 8 pockets on the table if you know how to play it.

I saw a table with eight actual pockets once. Thing was huge with four legs on each side. Seems like it was in one of the old plantation homes but I can't remember which one, possibly saw it at a museum too. Something I saw in my travels. Seems like it might have been eight by sixteen, maybe ten by twenty. Took up a lot of real estate. I assume custom built long long ago!

Hu

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have seen this before. I forget where. Note the young man has his pants rolled up to display the fact that he has two prosthetic limbs. The braces are part of the limbs stabilizing the thigh corset to the leg portion. Both legs are amputated below the knee.

This was at a period in time when pool/billiards was most popular and this image was to illustrate it was possible for him to play this quite popular game despite his disadvantage. (A public doubt existed towards people with handicaps for quite sometime). This illustration may have been part of an advertisement with the details of the table not significant based on the real message.

Prosthetics have come a long way, not only mechanically and technically but additionally, public perception and acceptance.

Yes they have come a long way. There are even semi-bionic ones now that move with thought.

Leather though was used extensively in older prosthetics and is still preferred as the best choice to strap them on for some folks today. I always find it fascinating how much leather is intertwined in our lives.