Lack of Websites or even FB for Pro Players

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
That is a pretty good rant and spot on, if I might say so myself.
JoeyA

I don't start many threads but this topic is close to my heart. Most pro players will often lament about the lack of money and recognition the game we all love provides for them. Poor paying tournaments. Lack of sponsorship. ETC ETC.

Well kids. How about doing the minimum. Have a current Website and/or Facebook page. What does it really take? 30 minutes on Facebook and you have a decent little info page to attract fans and sponsors.

1. But I'm not computer savy
  2. But I'm always on the road
  3. Who really cares?

Well it takes almost nothing to do. 83 year old grand mothers who have never had a computer figure it out. Got any friends? Got a smart phone? What does it really take? What about doing something for your sponsors other than just taking their money/equipment and putting a patch on your arm.

Other than Fats and Mosconi who is the most known pool player? Answer "The Black Widow" Jeanette Lee. Why? Because she gets the value of promoting yourself. Best playing female...not by a long shot. For marketing she gives the industry the Orange Crush.

The ones who have them and let them go stale is almost as bad. This screams....I DON'T CARE.

OK rant over.

Nick B

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'll say this for the players to be on social media it doesn't cost anything. Twitter and Facebook are free to use. Some players have them already, but don't utilize them enough or in the best way that they could. When you're a pro in a niche sport that is actually the best reason to use social media to market yourself. It's free PR, you can interact directly with fans, you set yourself apart and draw more attention to yourself in trying to grab a bigger piece of a smaller pie. It's the same for any small business owner. You don't have the resources to hire a publicist and a PR firm, but with social media you can build your brand all the same. More pros need to see themselves as their own small business and brand.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll say this for the players to be on social media it doesn't cost anything. Twitter and Facebook are free to use. Some players have them already, but don't utilize them enough or in the best way that they could. When you're a pro in a niche sport that is actually the best reason to use social media to market yourself. It's free PR, you can interact directly with fans, you set yourself apart and draw more attention to yourself in trying to grab a bigger piece of a smaller pie. It's the same for any small business owner. You don't have the resources to hire a publicist and a PR firm, but with social media you can build your brand all the same. More pros need to see themselves as their own small business and brand.

This is correct and many have FB pages most of the younger ones I'm sure do and have many followers ,, the difference between here and there is it's their fans that are following them ,,
When the pros enter the lions den of a open forum their subjecting themselves to a wide range of opinions and with the volume here their sure to find some negative opinions,
Many of them are not media savvy could you imagine if Tiger got on a open forum after his debacle ,, I'm more than sure he would not like the responses ,,
I'll give CJ some props he's one of the few who knows how to respond in a professional manner

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Exactly. BUILD YOUR BRAND. Get off a plane. Take a photo of the city's skyline and make a little post. No big effort and it tells your friends and loved ones that you arrived safe.

Step 1.
Just landed in Cleveland. Excited to play in the Greater Cleveland Open. Wish me luck.

Cleveland.Skyline.At_.Night_.jpg

Step 2.
Ran in to Shane-train and had to settle for third. Many thanks to Mr. Promoter Dude and his team for a great event. Thank you to Sponsor-X for believing in me and making this possible.

Step 3.
Here is a picture of me at the Boys and Girls club giving lessons to future champions...

Step 4.
Repeat as required.

Nick B

Last edited:

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I share the same sentiment as Nick B...

It's true that pool has been in decline, but that's more reason for pros to work harder to distinguish themselves...

Even looking at the bigger macro economic picture, jobs are in fact harder to come by, income levels are stagnant, it's indeed harder to make a living... But if you go on LinkedIn, Twitter, or company career pages, there are still job openings - but a lot more people are vying for the same pie. Those who know how to market themselves, make a distinction among peers, and demonstrate their value to the employer/client, those are the ones who open doors.

The good news is that the Internet has equalized the playing field! A 16 year old kid can create a professional website just as good as a multinational corporation's site. Your tweet, Instagram, or YouTube video has the chance of going viral as any celebrity's. It's all about engagement with fans/followers.

Jeanette Lee gets to go on TV and radio shows, books corporate events, and is even sponsored by Bass Pro Shops. Florian "Venom" Kohler has a YouTube video with almost 10 million views, regularly uploads new videos, and gets linked by several online media sites. They know how to market and protect their "brand" - themselves.

If right now a major sponsor approaches Mr Pro Player and asks him, "How far will my sponsorship dollars go with you?"

Can Mr Pro Player produce evidence that his website is visited by 1,000+ people per month (if he even has a site)? Can he list the top 3 things these visitors search for on his website? What are people saying about him on Twitter, mostly negative or positive tweets? What's the fan base on his FB page, and how many interactions per day does he have with fans on average? Does he have a presence on YouTube (which is the 3rd largest search engine)?

Mr Pro Player can show his resume of career tournament winnings and titles, but the sponsor is trying to get the most bang for his buck. If Mr Pro Player can only offer "I'll wear your logo on my shirt when I play a tournament" - will the sponsor be inclined to write the check to seal the deal?

What if Mr Pro Player tells the potential sponsor, "Not only will your logo be displayed on my shirt during any tournament, but I will put a banner on my website that links to your online store. I'll also review your products and post reviews on my blog/YouTube. Let's also hold giveaway contests via Twitter and Facebook for these products I reviewed. And can I kindly ask your team to retweet and share my social media interactions?"

Talk about making an impression and distinguishing from the others...

Anyway, good topic and thread... I know we all love this game and deep down we want nothing but greater (commercial) success to the pros that wow us!

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I share the same sentiment as Nick B...

It's true that pool has been in decline, but that's more reason for pros to work harder to distinguish themselves...

Even looking at the bigger macro economic picture, jobs are in fact harder to come by, income levels are stagnant, it's indeed harder to make a living... But if you go on LinkedIn, Twitter, or company career pages, there are still job openings - but a lot more people are vying for the same pie. Those who know how to market themselves, make a distinction among peers, and demonstrate their value to the employer/client, those are the ones who open doors.

The good news is that the Internet has equalized the playing field! A 16 year old kid can create a professional website just as good as a multinational corporation's site. Your tweet, Instagram, or YouTube video has the chance of going viral as any celebrity's. It's all about engagement with fans/followers.

Jeanette Lee gets to go on TV and radio shows, books corporate events, and is even sponsored by Bass Pro Shops. Florian "Venom" Kohler has a YouTube video with almost 10 million views, regularly uploads new videos, and gets linked by several online media sites. They know how to market and protect their "brand" - themselves.

If right now a major sponsor approaches Mr Pro Player and asks him, "How far will my sponsorship dollars go with you?"

Can Mr Pro Player produce evidence that his website is visited by 1,000+ people per month (if he even has a site)? Can he list the top 3 things these visitors search for on his website? What are people saying about him on Twitter, mostly negative or positive tweets? What's the fan base on his FB page, and how many interactions per day does he have with fans on average? Does he have a presence on YouTube (which is the 3rd largest search engine)?

Mr Pro Player can show his resume of career tournament winnings and titles, but the sponsor is trying to get the most bang for his buck. If Mr Pro Player can only offer "I'll wear your logo on my shirt when I play a tournament" - will the sponsor be inclined to write the check to seal the deal?

What if Mr Pro Player tells the potential sponsor, "Not only will your logo be displayed on my shirt during any tournament, but I will put a banner on my website that links to your online store. I'll also review your products and post reviews on my blog/YouTube. Let's also hold giveaway contests via Twitter and Facebook for these products I reviewed. And can I kindly ask your team to retweet and share my social media interactions?"

Talk about making an impression and distinguishing from the others...

Anyway, good topic and thread... I know we all love this game and deep down we want nothing but greater (commercial) success to the pros that wow us!

There you have it.
It's a start - same as Nick B wrote
:thumb up:

goodtime

Registered
Step 1.
Just landed in Cleveland. Excited to play in the Greater Cleveland Open. Wish me luck.

Cleveland.Skyline.At_.Night_.jpg

Step 2.
Ran in to Shane-train and had to settle for third. Many thanks to Mr. Promoter Dude and his team for a great event. Thank you to Sponsor-X for believing in me and making this possible.

Step 3.
Here is a picture of me at the Boys and Girls club giving lessons to future champions...

Step 4.
Repeat as required.

Nick B

Thats pretty close >>> https://www.facebook.com/hitmanhohmann

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I agree with Nick. in today's world all you need is a smart phone, an Internet connection and a willingness to promote yourself and your sponsors.

lots of pro use Facebook to communicate. some of them mention their sponsors. some of them interact with fans but a lot of them use fb the same way ordinary people do....just to talk about their puppies and meals. ..

It is easier than ever to take control of your own marketing. before smartphones they would have needed a laptop and some Web skills to create and maintain a page.

now what can be done in minutes is merely a matter of willingness to do it.