World Cup Of Pool

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Home team gets two. In the World teams event in China on about August 1, China got two teams. It's helps get local fans more excited about an event.

I'm in favor of it.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Host country gets two teams i am sure it is
to get more people to come watch the event live
makes sense to me

So in theory if I have a card game at my house, I can play 2 hands against everyone elses 1 hand??? It amounts to the same thing..... They have 2 chances to win the money and title just because they are the host country

in the olympics, does the host country get and extra team??? No equal entries.... THis is pure BS

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in theory if I have a card game at my house, I can play 2 hands against everyone elses 1 hand??? It amounts to the same thing..... They have 2 chances to win the money and title just because they are the host country

in the olympics, does the host country get and extra team??? No equal entries.... THis is pure BS

Sure in Olympics they do not get 2 teams but many many things are pegged in favor of the host country eg. they have a say in the sports/ events to be played so they choose sports they are strong in. In some sports like soccer the host country automatically qualifies even though they may have crappy team
There is a reason why host countries of Olympics win more medals when they are hosting than when they are not hosting
i get your point but comparing to Olympics may not be good comparison
:grin-square:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member

Sure you can compare it to your local card game but that does not really equate to the same thing. Are you trying to garner local viewership to your card game? Didn't think so. The Olympics certainly have no problems filling the seats or getting the world to watch. Call it pure BS if you want but the organizers of this event have to decided to run it this way. I you don't like it then you have two options.

A) don't watch
B) Start your own World Cup of pool and run it any way you want to.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure you can compare it to your local card game but that does not really equate to the same thing. Are you trying to garner local viewership to your card game? Didn't think so. The Olympics certainly have no problems filling the seats or getting the world to watch. Call it pure BS if you want but the organizers of this event have to decided to run it this way. I you don't like it then you have two options.

A) don't watch
B) Start your own World Cup of pool and run it any way you want to.

At least you finally said the real reasons......It the organizers decided.... wether its fair or not.........Dont sugar coat it by saying it to help local viewiership........Because even you dont believe that.... So if the UK wins they didnt win fairly then....They had twice the chance to win

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Nothing new here, John. Host cities in America have always been given wild cards so that the promoter can invite an extra local or two into an event. This is pretty standard fare here in America and its good business practice as it helps generate local interest in an event. The practice of permitting the country or city hosting an event to have wild cards to be filled at their own discretion is, by my reckoning, at least 40 years old.

And yes, it does generate local interest, I've seen it time and time again over the years.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is there such a fuss over England having two teams in this contest? Their overall performance in this event is nothing to write home about. Aside from one 2nd place finish in 2008, they never even reached the semis in the other years of the event.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member

No, but you are allowed to invite whoever you want...even if that means more than one person from your household plays in the game!

sls1929

Registered
Host country gets two teams i am sure it is
to get more people to come watch the event live
makes sense to me

Hello My Hanna, lol, this is indeed who you thought it was in Duncanville Tx back in the day. I saw Carl at his club on Thursday and he said for me to say hi to you and say he hopes everything is good with you. Are you still a one pocket champ, played pretty well if i recall. I remember seeing a long time ago playing Sonny Ballard and beating him pretty good. Do you remember that. It is cool to see someone from back then, not to many around to see anymore. Take care Terry

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

could be the worst post I have ever seen on here

world cup event host nation doesn't have to qualify, euro championships same thing like many other times. US hosted the world cup in 94 and didn't have to qualify its the way it is. when US host it they will get two teams. chill pill

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could be the worst post I have ever seen on here

world cup event host nation doesn't have to qualify, euro championships same thing like many other times. US hosted the world cup in 94 and didn't have to qualify its the way it is. when US host it they will get two teams. chill pill

Doesnt anyone ever read..........That still dont answer why they would get 2 team entries