Turning Stone Classic now with WPA points. Finally!!!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would sorta make sense IF they did the sanctioning when the tourney was announced and they started to take entries. But the field is now full so now it only benefits the pockets of the WPA.

You have a big point right here. As always the pool world is just out of step. The BCA should announce right now WPA points for the second turning stone in Sept. So the players will enter with knowledge that they can earn points.

But something tells me the BCA will keep the other two events to be named as WPA point earners until the last minute, with absoluetly no foresight or logic to it. Thus making the field guess.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed the point, whoosh.

I thought Shane, Hatch, Earl, Appleton, Oscar , Ernesto, Schmidt, Saez, all lived here, where are they ? As I stated when I posted the players
list the field was full before the WPA announcement. So the players from Europe probably didn't know in time about the WPA points to signup,
for this event even if they wanted to.

"All you guys ever do is knock stuff..." Wen Wen

I know a player who tried to enter in early dec and he was put on the alternate list, so it was full before then. Also there were some heavy rack disputes in the past which has turned some off, I learned from another pro thats why he doesnt like playing in it. Its very possible many pros just didnt get their money in in time.

I thought Shane, Hatch, Earl, Appleton, Oscar , Ernesto, Schmidt, Saez, all lived here, where are they ? As I stated when I posted the players
list the field was full before the WPA announcement. So the players from Europe probably didn't know in time about the WPA points to signup,

You live in NY? Time to come off the porch and run with the big dogs son.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 22 Turning Stone events have been won by 15 different players. Bustamante and Van Boening have each won twice, and Archer has won 6 times.

The 22 events have seen 18 different players finish second. Hatch, Sossei, Immonen, and Morris have each been runners-up twice.

Based on the current players list for T.S. XXIII, 7 of the past winners (who have accounted for 12 of the 22 wins) and 6 of the past runners-up (who have accounted for 9 second-place finishes) will be playing next week.

Here's an updated list of the winners and runners-up from each of the Turning Stone Classic events, with those scheduled to play next week shown in blue:

I, July 2000 -- M. Immonen d. F. Hernandez
II, May 2001 -- F. Bustamante d. E. Reyes
III, Aug. 2001 -- C. Williams d. M. Immonen
IV, Feb. 2005 -- S. Tavernier d. R. McCreesh
V, Aug. 2005 -- F. Bustamante d. D. Hatch

VI, Feb. 2006 -- T. Hohmann d. K. McCready
VII, Aug. 2006 -- J. Archer d. S. Sambajon
VIII, Feb. 2007 -- J. Archer d. J. Morra
IX, Aug. 2007 -- L. Vann Corteza d. L. Ulrich
X, Feb. 2008 -- J. Archer d. J. Sossei

XI, Aug. 2008 -- J. Archer d. C. Williams
XII, Feb. 2009 -- R. Souquet d. D. Hatch
XIII, Aug. 2009 -- O. Dominguez d. Z. Zvi
XIV, Dec. 2009 -- J. Archer d. R. Morris
XV, Aug. 2010 -- J. Archer d. R. Morris

XVI, Dec. 2010 -- C. Deuel d. S. Moore
XVII, Sept. 2011 -- R. Morris d. A. Pagulayan
XVIII, Dec. 2011 -- S. Van Boening d. R. Hundal
XIX, Aug. 2012 -- M. Dechaine d. S. Putnam
XX, Jan. 2013 -- S. Van Boening d. J. Archer

XXI, Sept. 2013 -- E. Strickland d. J. Sossei
XXII, Sept. 2014 -- J. Shaw d. M. Immonen

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I checked out Mike Z's website. With about a week to go many big names will not be there. http://www.joss9balltour.com/

No Shane, Dennis Hatch, Earl, Alex P (no surprise), Darren A, Both Mosconi Teams. It's a shame considering it's a big event.

Nick

That's, to some extent, because there are two high-purse 8-ball events in China in January, one coinciding with Turning Stone and the other coinciding with the Derby. The Europe-based Team Europe players are not customarily at Turning Stone anyway, so the absence of Nikos, Niels, Gray and Boyes comes as no surprise. Appleton will be in China playing 8-ball, his best game. Earl, too, I heard.

Shane's absence is a surprise. Perhaps he's taking a breather, skipping the All Japan Championships and now Turning Stone, but I really don't know. The field is always diverse and deep at Turning Stone, but the Joss Tour regulars have been very tough to beat, with Shaw and Strickland winning the last two.

I'm sure the field will be super-tough as always. It's always one of the very toughest events to win on the American pool calendar.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sept. 2014 -- J. Shaw d. E. Strickland

I don't think so. My recollection from the last Turning Stone in Sept 2014:

Shaw 1st
Immonen 2nd
Morris 3rd
Dechaine 4th
Strickland 5th
Hohmann 5th

Strickland over Sossei in the final in the one before that is correct, as you note.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've always wondered why one of the hardest stops, turning stone classic, on one of the best tours, the Joss Tour, never earned WPA points.

I'd call it a shocker but it is a very pleasant surprise that a regional tour event, albeit the premier regional tour event on the American pool calendar, will award WPA points.

Kudos to those who made it happen.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think so. My recollection from the last Turning Stone in Sept 2014:

Shaw 1st
Immonen 2nd
Morris 3rd
Dechaine 4th
Strickland 5th
Hohmann 5th

Strickland over Sossei in the final in the one before that is correct, as you note.

You are correct, Stu. When looking back at my notes from TS XXII, I inadvertently looked at a Shaw d. Strickland match played earlier on the final day rather than the Shaw d. Immonen finals match. Thanks for noticing that; I have corrected post #24.

Last edited:

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now all the players get a percentage of their winnings taken by the WPA ---- for what benefit does it give to them? If I was a player that had a chance to cash, I wouldn't be so excited as you are. In fact, I would be upset.

I'm guessing most players would have a hard time getting air fare , hotel and entry fees together , with an added expense i'd guess it will exclude many. Looks like most players are from the region so they can fade most of that .How does Earl make it ? He hasn't won anything in years , he must have a backer .

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Seems Ernesto has a business , they have a regional tour in California now , so he probably gets his pool fix with that with out they costs of travel and lodging. Saez is smart , he is playing smaller events with calcuttas and not to offend but probably weaker fields , but not by much since there are many regional players who can play but might not have the funds to travel .

Saez has a better chance of making money being a true professional pool player instead of dead money , which most players are with the money being paid out in more notable events , unless someone is giving them money.There is no money in pool, the players foot the bill much like poker, and the promoters gamble as much as they do .

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so weak-Here's 10 just from A-M

ARCHER, JOHNNY

CORR, KAREN

DECHAINE, MIKE

DEUEL, COREY

HOHMANN, THORSTEN

IGNACIO, JEFFREY

IMMONEN, MIKA

MOORE, STEVIE

MORRA, JOHN

MORRIS, RODNEY

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems Ernesto has a business , they have a regional tour in California now , so he probably gets his pool fix with that with out they costs of travel and lodging. Saez is smart , he is playing smaller events with calcuttas and not to offend but probably weaker fields , but not by much since there are many regional players who can play but might not have the funds to travel .

Saez has a better chance of making money being a true professional pool player instead of dead money , which most players are with the money being paid out in more notable events , unless someone is giving them money.There is no money in pool, the players foot the bill much like poker, and the promoters gamble as much as they do .

I would hardly call Rob dead money , I've seen and played Rob when he's focused he can certaily make a good Showing ,,I don't know excatly what the added money is but I went on the WPA site to be a sanctioned event it should be atleast 30 k with 1/8 of the field from other continents no matter what the quality is ,
So according to those standards it's WPA worthy ,, I think that's why it came out late you have to have those things in place ,,
They get a minimum of 7.8 pct of the money according to the site

There's 128 in the field.

Your name on the list son?
There's another 40 guys who play jam up pool. You think Derby or even the open are any different?
Last Joss stop was won by a guy you would not even call a short stop really. He beat Strickland and double dipped Sossei to win. What do you guys think of that?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2015 World Chinese 8-Ball Masters will take place at Qinhuangdao Olympic Sports Center Stadium in China from 5th-8th January.
Earl S and some of the others pros will be in china

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your name on the list son?
There's another 40 guys who play jam up pool. You think Derby or even the open are any different?
Last Joss stop was won by a guy you would not even call a short stop really. He beat Strickland and double dipped Sossei to win. What do you guys think of that?

I would say he beat a has been and a wannabe

Next Question:eek:

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would hardly call Rob dead money , I've seen and played Rob when he's focused he can certaily make a good Showing ,,I don't know excatly what the added money is but I went on the WPA site to be a sanctioned event it should be atleast 30 k with 1/8 of the field from other continents no matter what the quality is ,
So according to those standards it's WPA worthy ,, I think that's why it came out late you have to have those things in place ,,
They get a minimum of 7.8 pct of the money according to the site

No , i'm not saying that , he is a grinder , he is a good buy in the calcutta , i'm saying just the opposite. You have to pick your spots to make money with out owing somebody in pool.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 22 Turning Stone events have been won by 15 different players. Bustamante and Van Boening have each won twice, and Archer has won 6 times.

The 22 events have seen 18 different players finish second. Hatch, Sossei, Immonen, and Morris have each been runners-up twice.

Based on the current players list for T.S. XXIII, 7 of the past winners (who have accounted for 12 of the 22 wins) and 6 of the past runners-up (who have accounted for 9 second-place finishes) will be playing next week.

Here's an updated list of the winners and runners-up from each of the Turning Stone Classic events, with those scheduled to play next week shown in blue:

I, July 2000 -- M. Immonen d. F. Hernandez
II, May 2001 -- F. Bustamante d. E. Reyes
III, Aug. 2001 -- C. Williams d. M. Immonen
IV, Feb. 2005 -- S. Tavernier d. R. McCreesh
V, Aug. 2005 -- F. Bustamante d. D. Hatch

VI, Feb. 2006 -- T. Hohmann d. K. McCready
VII, Aug. 2006 -- J. Archer d. S. Sambajon
VIII, Feb. 2007 -- J. Archer d. J. Morra
IX, Aug. 2007 -- L. Vann Corteza d. L. Ulrich
X, Feb. 2008 -- J. Archer d. J. Sossei

XI, Aug. 2008 -- J. Archer d. C. Williams
XII, Feb. 2009 -- R. Souquet d. D. Hatch
XIII, Aug. 2009 -- O. Dominguez d. Z. Zvi
XIV, Dec. 2009 -- J. Archer d. R. Morris
XV, Aug. 2010 -- J. Archer d. R. Morris

XVI, Dec. 2010 -- C. Deuel d. S. Moore
XVII, Sept. 2011 -- R. Morris d. A. Pagulayan
XVIII, Dec. 2011 -- S. Van Boening d. R. Hundal
XIX, Aug. 2012 -- M. Dechaine d. S. Putnam
XX, Jan. 2013 -- S. Van Boening d. J. Archer

XXI, Sept. 2013 -- E. Strickland d. J. Sossei
XXII, Sept. 2014 -- J. Shaw d. M. Immonen

You, sir, are a genius. Thanks for this. Haven't missed a turning stone since 2007. Great matches always.

I would say he beat a has been and a wannabe

Next Question:eek:

You are a clown. You don't know anything about this game and the people who play it. Strickland is an absolute monster. When he's 85 and in a wheelchair he can give bangers like you the 6 out.

You come my way we can play for a couple thousand. I'm nobody. We can call it tuition because you got a lot to learn.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a clown. You don't know anything about this game and the people who play it. Strickland is an absolute monster. When he's 85 and in a wheelchair he can give bangers like you the 6 out.

You come my way we can play for a couple thousand. I'm nobody. We can call it tuition because you got a lot to learn.

You can change your screen name but your still the same idiot ,, Love Earl but sorry he's 2 balls below what he used to be , capable of winning smaller events , but not much threat to win a upper world class open ,,,