American Roadplayer issuing refunds?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
What company would support a guy who says, "I have to win this [gambling match] because I've got two kids at home and the rent has to get paid" ?

I see your point Krupa, and in Scooter's case, it may be true.

But, Movies, TV shows etc, the actors often say a lot of things that are obviously not true.

Scooter and crew may really be like this but it is a Reality Show, so one would expect a
little artistic license to be added as well.

I hope that the producer can find a way to pull this one off in the long run.

At least everyone knows he was true to his word and did issue refunds as promised.
I never suspected myself that it was a scam, but nice to know that he was honest about it.

If he tries to make a second go round, I may throw a bit in the hat because of that.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Big players in the industry as you call them, if they were so inclined would just do it themselves. They are not giving money to him.

I would be happy with "ANYONE" doing something. I am not sold on one particular "producer/director" and not one funding source or model. I truly believe the "fans" funding something that benefits the "industry" is a bad model!!!

The Industry will benefit and the industry should fund it!!! Just my 2 cents!!!

KD

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But, Movies, TV shows etc, the actors often say a lot of things that are obviously not true.

Scooter and crew may really be like this but it is a Reality Show, so one would expect a

At least everyone knows he was true to his word and did issue refunds as promised.
I never suspected myself that it was a scam, but nice to know that he was honest about it.

If he tries to make a second go round, I may throw a bit in the hat because of that.
Sounds like they would be glorifying the virtues of homelessness and despair. People don't want to watch something that makes them feel uncomfortable. Not to mention it would be making the statement that, pool is a road to nowhere and be careful, don't let you child get caught up in it and addicted. Instead of entertainment it sounds more like a warning.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
There is nothing interesting about that. I put on a tournament years ago and had pros like Sigel, DiLiberto Hall and other top players there. The local newspaper was there and doing interviews. They talked to all the pros along with others. The story was coming out Saturday morning and we were all interested to see what they would write about the tournament.

It was good almost a 1/4 page they mentioned the players and a little about 9 ball but that was not what the article was about. With all the pros there they focused on one "Amateur" player playing with the pros who was a local executive and part time pool player.

They had pictures of him an interview with his wife and so on. You see, they are professionals and saw where the real story was that people would want to read. Not the loud mouth pros that talked their ears off, but a quiet well dressed interesting guy who people can identify with. I always remembered that.

I was trying to point out that many/most people would look negatively at a company that supports someone who sounds/acts like he's got a gambling problem. Like drinking, people don't care about gambling when it's done responsibly (and even a little irresponsibly) but when you're talking about a guy with kids saying that he's gambling with the rent money? Who doesn't have a negative reaction to that!?

You're absolutely right. In reality, Scooter may or may not be gambling with his rent money, but by saying it he created a character that a lot of people are going to hate from the beginning (myself included).

FTR, if he didn't have kids I wouldn't think twice about him gambling with his rent/food money... well, I'd feel bad that he had a gambling problem, but I wouldn't hate him for it.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Do you really think that people would read into it that much Mac?

It's just a web series and won't be on TV.

If it makes certain people uncomfortable, they can choose not to watch. You know one show that made me feel uncomfortable for whatever reasons.

Honey Boo Boo. Funny eh. I accidentally saw a few bits and pieces, but that was more than enuff.

And, if I want to want to see shows about criminals, I don't have to turn on the tv. I just have to scan the daily North American news channels.

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They had no choice but to issue "refunds" because if they don't real the goal they never have access to the money, and they weren't even close. In other words they didn't issue the refund...the site they used does that automatically AFAIK. That's the point of using these crowd funding sites. Has anybody ever had a successful "crowd funding" promotion for pool?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They had no choice but to issue "refunds" because if they don't real the goal they never have access to the money, and they weren't even close. In other words they didn't issue the refund...the site they used does that automatically AFAIK. That's the point of using these crowd funding sites. Has anybody ever had a successful "crowd funding" promotion for pool?
I am not sure, I read the agreement and it looks like the money goal is an arbitrary figure. You can get the money time you want.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Do you really think that people would read into it that much Mac?

It's just a web series and won't be on TV.

If it makes certain people uncomfortable, they can choose not to watch. You know one show that made me feel uncomfortable for whatever reasons.

Honey Boo Boo. Funny eh. I accidentally saw a few bits and pieces, but that was more than enuff.

And, if I want to want to see shows about criminals, I don't have to turn on the tv. I just have to scan the daily North American news channels.

I think if Scooter was a single guy without kids, people wouldn't blink. As a married guy with kids, not so much. Again, he may just be saying that to create some drama but he said it and I think it will work against them. I didn't contribute mostly because of that.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Krupa. You're correct and I agree.

It was a valid point that I missed on.

Kids shouldn't be involved that way if it is true.

School lunch time, we lived in a working class neighborhood. I went home and had a sandwich and soup. I stop by a friends house to pick him up back to school.

His lunch was a bowl of milk with a slice of bread ripped up in it. No kids should live like that. When you mentioned it, it brought back a couple of memories.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to point out that many/most people would look negatively at a company that supports someone who sounds/acts like he's got a gambling problem. Like drinking, people don't care about gambling when it's done responsibly (and even a little irresponsibly) but when you're talking about a guy with kids saying that he's gambling with the rent money? Who doesn't have a negative reaction to that!?

You're absolutely right. In reality, Scooter may or may not be gambling with his rent money, but by saying it he created a character that a lot of people are going to hate from the beginning (myself included).

FTR, if he didn't have kids I wouldn't think twice about him gambling with his rent/food money... well, I'd feel bad that he had a gambling problem, but I wouldn't hate him for it.

But, but... no one is going to look at it that deeply. It's entertainment, whether it's guys cracking their nether regions falling off skate boards, or rich girls acting poorly, or the backwards showing why they are backwards, people don't care. They just want to be able to sit on their couch and be grateful they are not that stupid.

This show should fit right in to the current reality TV line up.

Lou Figueroa

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you guys are lucky it didnt go. 40k isnt enough to get even started in a production. its a grossly underfunded idea. which usually doesnt work.

if they want funding they need to set up some episodes with their own money and go sell them. and then return profits to those who invested.

SidePocketProd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
American Road Player Producer

Hello! I want to thank everyone who has taken part in this campaign in one way or another. That includes the great conversations and the contributors who felt inspired to help us try to raise our goal. Although we did not make our goal, we have learned a great deal about this world and it's community which will help us as we move forward.

There continues to be quite a bit of speculation about the show and our intentions so here are a few thoughts that I will hope to clarify some of the questions.

1. Refunds should have been received by all at this point so if you have not received yours, please contact me directly and I will make sure it goes through ASAP.

2. The show is not dead. The campaign was not the only source of raising some of our $140,000 budget. We are also raising funds the more traditional way and continuing to promote this concept as a viable show not only for the web but also television. We have worked for three years and already spent close to 20k on this project so we are invested to see it through.

3. Our crowdfunding choice was in an effort to bring the community and sponsors into an opportunity to promote pool and it's players and make the much needed push to get a show about pool on TV. We are still confident in that and will continue to be as creative as possible to make it happen.

My fellow producers and I thank you for your time and efforts and we look forward to a much larger conversation in the near future!

Please feel free to contact me through the AZ website if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.

Have a Great New Year!!!

Thanks
Peyton