Snooker is to Pool as...

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Baseball is to Cricket.

I stumbled upon this CNN article and it reminded me of this analogy that has been in head for a while....

Snooker is to Pool as Baseball is to Cricket

Baseball and cricket are very different games, but yet have many similarities. Same can be said about snooker and pool. Yet it can be argued that the skill set developed in one game can much more easily transfer to play the other game, compared to the other way around. I stand by the analogy.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Snooker is to pool as Canadian football is to American football.

Pretty much the same game, but bigger playing field.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is to pool as Canadian football is to American football.

Pretty much the same game, but bigger playing field.

Really? Please explain why american players who are making pennies here aren't rushing across the pond to play snooker with it's much larger pay outs? I mean if it was just size of the table our best should be able to easily assimilate to that.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The thing that is rarely mentioned...

Really? Please explain why american players who are making pennies here aren't rushing across the pond to play snooker with it's much larger pay outs? I mean if it was just size of the table our best should be able to easily assimilate to that.

The thing that's rarely mentioned is the size and weight of the balls.

Americans are used to big heavy balls, it's not the size of the table or the pockets that give transitioners difficulty, it's the size and weight of the balls.

I've seen pool players throw the bigger balls on a 12 foot snooker table and cinch shots, they never could with snooker balls.

It becomes more of a finesse game, where as American pool for the most part is a brute game (that's an over simplification obviously).

This is also why those power shots are what does in snooker players when they transition to American pool.

Jaden

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always feel when snooker players use there snooker cue to play 9 ball there making it tougher on themselves for that reason.. It's harder to push and spin those balls around with a snooker cue. I also agree with your evaluation..watching earl play snooker there was quite a few times he tried to power the ball in the pocket and those pockets will have no parts of it lol

The thing that's rarely mentioned is the size and weight of the balls.

Americans are used to big heavy balls, it's not the size of the table or the pockets that give transitioners difficulty, it's the size and weight of the balls.

I've seen pool players throw the bigger balls on a 12 foot snooker table and cinch shots, they never could with snooker balls.

It becomes more of a finesse game, where as American pool for the most part is a brute game (that's an over simplification obviously).

This is also why those power shots are what does in snooker players when they transition to American pool.

Jaden

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Of course you're right, but it was the best analogy I could think of so I ran with it. You need to shoot straighter in snooker ---- nobody questions that.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You must've not read my post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFUp8h1l5Y

Those power shots....yep....snooker players struggle with them.

I said in POOL with the heavier balls...

Here, let me make myself clear...Pool players that are used to power stroking heavier balls have a more difficult time transitioning to a game with lighter smaller balls, than snooker players who are used to playing with smaller, lighter balls do switching to pool, but snooker players also have a difficult time adjusting to the need for power stroking in situations using the heavier balls and often choose a different route or safety because of that. It is easier to get away with playing a safety or a different route in pool than it is to try and power play snooker.

Does that explain my point a little more clearly???

Jaden

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I said in POOL with the heavier balls...

Here, let me make myself clear...Pool players that are used to power stroking heavier balls have a more difficult time transitioning to a game with lighter smaller balls, than snooker players who are used to playing with smaller, lighter balls do switching to pool, but snooker players also have a difficult time adjusting to the need for power stroking in situations using the heavier balls and often choose a different route or safety because of that. It is easier to get away with playing a safety or a different route in pool than it is to try and power play snooker.

Does that explain my point a little more clearly???

Jaden

Sure. It's just a dumb point. Maybe being north of the border, we see both games a little more than Americans. There are some players up here that have jackhammer strokes on the 9 and 12 footer. Jason Klatt was a snooker player as a junior. Alex played some snooker. Mika started out playing snooker. The stroke has nothing to do with transitioning from one game to another. It's the pockets, and the pattern play that's different. Karen Corr and Allison Fisher were snooker players. When the US produces a world caliber snooker player, I'll take your opinions on snooker seriously.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure. It's just a dumb point. Maybe being north of the border, we see both games a little more than Americans. There are some players up here that have jackhammer strokes on the 9 and 12 footer. Jason Klatt was a snooker player as a junior. Alex played some snooker. Mika started out playing snooker. The stroke has nothing to do with transitioning from one game to another. It's the pockets, and the pattern play that's different. Karen Corr and Allison Fisher were snooker players. When the US produces a world caliber snooker player, I'll take your opinions on snooker seriously.

I believe it´s hard to produce top snooker players at any country if they don´t really have places or tables to play... ;)

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I believe it´s hard to produce top snooker players at any country if they don´t really have places or tables to play... ;)

It also doesn't help that an American Snooker table is different than an English Snooker table. ;)

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
We'll play snooker, golf, 10 ball and 8ball...

Jaden

No. I think I have you against the field of D snooker players in the world. Wasn't that the bet you were making?

You said you would beat any D snooker player playing pool. Why not fly to England and make all that money you said you would? Much more profitable than you coming to play me ;)

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting article. Baseball and Cricket are two highly technical games but skills (and athleticism) do transfer. As a former social weekend cricketer in the London area, I've seen a fair few American expats or those visiting cricketing friends have a game or two. Those who good at sport are good at sport - they can hit sixes and fours (which is all that is needed in the middle order of a social team) and can throw the ball in well from the field. Likewise, a good pool player could turn up at a snooker club and string some 20 something breaks together and beat some social players. Also seen fairly decent snooker players have a crack at pool and run out when the balls roll for them (but they struggle on tough layouts against good players and blame luck when the cue ball comes off two rails and drops into the side pocket).

Making it at a high level is a different story though. Snooker to pool easier than pool to snooker though. And baseball to cricket easier than cricket to baseball.