BCA concession

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand conceding is not allowed in BCA eight ball league. However people do concede. Last night in eight ball my opp scratches on eight, leaving eight on table with me having two balls left. Shakes my hand, walks away and says good game. Thats conceding which is not allowed!? His team mates say I must take my bih and run out to win, so to keep peace I do so. Talking to my captain, who is a ref he says yes I could lose if I also sat down and didn't return to table and run out. But my opp clearly broke a rule by conceding and doing so could win him the game? That's crazy! Many people concede by raking the eight off the table or saying that's good and shake hands, another concession with no issues I suppose. This rule needs to change, makes no sense. I knew the rule when eight is still on table but he conceded, shook hands and walked away. Clarification on all types of conceding please.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I understand conceding is not allowed in BCA eight ball league. However people do concede. Last night in eight ball my opp scratches on eight, leaving eight on table with me having two balls left. Shakes my hand, walks away and says good game. Thats conceding which is not allowed!? His team mates say I must take my bih and run out to win, so to keep peace I do so. Talking to my captain, who is a ref he says yes I could lose if I also sat down and didn't return to table and run out. But my opp clearly broke a rule by conceding and doing so could win him the game? That's crazy! Many people concede by raking the eight off the table or saying that's good and shake hands, another concession with no issues I suppose. This rule needs to change, makes no sense. I knew the rule when eight is still on table but he conceded, shook hands and walked away. Clarification on all types of conceding please.

email bill stock @ BCAPL

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No clarification needed here Kris - it was an outright concession and you did not have to shoot the remaining balls.

BCAPL Rule 1-43-1 applies:

1. You must not concede any game at any time for any reason. “Concede” means that, as a result of any verbal or non-verbal action, you lead your opponent to believe that you are awarding them the game before its normal conclusion on the table. Before a game has ended, you must refrain from making any statements such as “good game”, etc., or any other verbal inference that the game is over or that your opponent is certain or likely to win. You must also refrain from any similar non-verbal action...

The "good game" comment is a slam-dunk. The handshake is clearly a non-verbal slam dunk.

That having been said, you know as well as I do that enforcement, especially at the local league level, can be problematic. But that still does not change the fact that it was a clear-cut concession, per the book.

Buddy

Last edited:

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Concede

No clarification needed here Kris - it was an outright concession and you did not have to shoot the remaining balls.

BCAPL Rule 1-43-1 applies:

1. You must not concede any game at any time for any reason. “Concede” means that, as a result of any verbal or non-verbal action, you lead your opponent to believe that you are awarding them the game before its normal conclusion on the table. Before a game has ended, you must refrain from making any statements such as “good game”, etc., or any other verbal inference that the game is over or that your opponent is certain or likely to win. You must also refrain from any similar non-verbal action...

The "good game" comment is a slam-dunk. The handshake is clearly a non-verbal
That having been said, you know as well as I do that enforcement, especially at the local league level, can be problematic. But that still does not change the fact that it was a clear-cut concession, per the book.

Buddy

Thanks Buddy. Can't wait to tell REF ( J.W.) he was wrong. May have to bust him down to a corporal! LOL! Common sense prevails again.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the guy did all that but you were told you still had to play, what he did was sharking/unsportsmanlike conduct and you should have the game just by that.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although this thread is a couple of months old I feel I should share my teammate's experience with "concession." With only the 8 ball left on the table and it being an easy shot (short distance and not much angle), his opponent decides to come up and shake his hand. His opponent didn't approach him from the rear in which he wouldn't be in my friend's field of vision. Instead he approached him from the side coming ALL THE WAY to the table as my friends shoots the 8 ball. Naturally he was distracted and missed the 8 ball. His opponent seeing that the 8 ball had been missed, doesn't concede the game and proceeds to shoot the 8 ball in. His opponent shouldn't have left his seat and his action of walking to the table while my friend is shooting should have been a non verbal concession. In the end the other teams' captain did the right thing and admitted that his player was at fault for distracting my teammate and gave the game to us.