Jayson Shaw vs. Kevin Clark 14.1 Stream Today

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw is playing Clark today at Proshot Billiards Scranton, PA. It's supposed to be $500/game, minimum four games. Thought it might not be noticed in the live stream forum, so I'm posting it here. Free live stream link can be found on the PSB website:

http://www.proshotbilliards.com

Enjoy.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Is the website correct ? Or is the site down ?

Can't get the page to load on iPhone

Steve

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the website correct ? Or is the site down ?

Can't get the page to load on iPhone

Steve

Sorry, Steve, just saw this. I had the same problem and had to go to the Ustream website and search for it there. Search for "Pro Shot Billiards". I haven't really had much of a chance to watch it. Too busy getting ready for this major snowstorm I appear to be in the path of. Just now getting back to it.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So that's it, I guess. Shaw takes all four sets for $2K. Amazing.

I'm pissed I hardly got to see most of it, but my take is that Kevin Clark knows and plays the game really well and Shaw is just learning it. No matter, though, the way Shaw runs balls and strings racks together, he will be a major force to reckon with in 14.1 if he ever gets dead serious about the game.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to comments on Shaw's FB page he ran 150 and out in the second game and a 97 in the last. Pretty damn strong.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I caught a little bit of the last game.

Jayson ran 3 racks in like 2 minutes !!

I don't think the world is ready for Jayson to take 14.1 seriously, the kid just doesn't miss !!

Thanks for sharing
-Steve

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw takes down four

I saw the last two games. Jayson just wheeled as if he were practicing. He whacked the balls and went into them in ways that would cause Danny D. to scream...but he can make balls!

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too noticed that Jayson was hitting/ moving balls around. Many times he moved a ball towards the right side of the table to ensure a break ball (he is left handed). He did this many times successfully to his advantage. Regardless he can make any ball as long as he can see it

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too noticed that Jayson was hitting/ moving balls around. Many times he moved a ball towards the right side of the table to ensure a break ball (he is left handed). He did this many times successfully to his advantage. Regardless he can make any ball as long as he can see it

He was hitting balls unnecessarily - intentionally and unintentionally - sometimes more than one per stroke. He wasn't leaving insurance balls (like he really needs them), had a hard time both creating a good break ball and deciding on a proper key ball to get on the break ball correctly. In contrast, Kevin played real good straight pool IMHO, but it wasn't enough to overcome the sheer firepower of this young man.

I still feel Shaw has his work cut out for him going against the likes of Hohmann or his good buddy Appleton. His problems in 14.1 will likely be the same that plagued him in most of the events at DCC. They aren't problems with his vision, nor are they with his magnificent left arm, but lie somewhere between his ears. He's still in the show-off/intimidation mode of a young player. He plays too fast and loose.

Not saying that he needs to drop that entirely, but if he can learn to slow down just a bit and take the time to analyze the stack to find the best way to pick it apart, he will go far. His incredible natural ability is undeniable, but his game needs more than that to compete at the very highest level.

2 cents from a 14.1 railbird

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe J. Shaw has enough of sloppy 9 ball and finally changes to a more interesting discipline :thumbup: id like to watch these runs, where they recorded/can be rewatched?
I guess if he would play more straight pool or getting some hints from an experienced straight pooler, he could become a monster.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe J. Shaw has enough of sloppy 9 ball and finally changes to a more interesting discipline :thumbup: id like to watch these runs, where they recorded/can be rewatched?
I guess if he would play more straight pool or getting some hints from an experienced straight pooler, he could become a monster.

would be a monster......

FYI - He ran 227 at the DCC 14.1 in under an hour. Highest run ever in a competitive event. He plays a different kind of 14.1 but believe me he is already a monster.

Dana in Indy

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
id like to watch these runs, where they recorded/can be rewatched?

From what Jayson said on his FB page Kevin owns the room the match was played at. I'd contact Kevin there and see what he has to say.

I'd give him a day or two, though, to sit back and lick his wounds. ;)

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at his ustream page, it does not appear that he recorded the matches.

He recorded this 14.1 a few months ago.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/56543815

That's a shame. Wish I could have watched the whole thing like I planned on doing. I'm also sorry that I posted about the match at the last minute. I found out about this several days ahead, but forgot to share the info. Bitter cold weather, Saturday afternoon, free stream, great 14.1 being played by both parties... everybody who cares about the game should have been aware of it.

As far as caring about the game, I regret some of the comments I made regarding his DCC match with Schmidt. I wasn't there, only read secondhand accounts of John's concession and assumed (as some others did) that he was pissed at Jayson's lack of respect for the game. That notion was strengthened by reports of Shaw's FB comments, wanting JS to run out the match because he was sleepy and needed to rest for the 9-ball matches.

In retrospect... yeah. 26 year old man with wife and new baby girl... $16K prize vs. a chance to win a few grand... the fact that he knows that game cold, and the straight pool he's just learning. It's totally understandable he would feel that way.

But he wasn't the one ducking out of the match, it was John. Maybe he shouldn't have made that FB comment (God knows how much grief has been caused by impulsive social media posts), but that was his only sin.

So, Jayson, if you're reading this (which I doubt you are) and if you care (which I'm sure you don't), I offer my heartfelt apology for judging you so harshly in public. As Kevin said about you on your FB page after your match, you are a great, great player. I hope you stick with our game for a very long time.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
As far as caring about the game, I regret some of the comments I made regarding his DCC match with Schmidt. I wasn't there, only read secondhand accounts of John's concession and assumed (as some others did) that he was pissed at Jayson's lack of respect for the game. That notion was strengthened by reports of Shaw's FB comments, wanting JS to run out the match because he was sleepy and needed to rest for the 9-ball matches.

In retrospect... yeah. 26 year old man with wife and new baby girl... $16K prize vs. a chance to win a few grand... the fact that he knows that game cold, and the straight pool he's just learning. It's totally understandable he would feel that way.

But he wasn't the one ducking out of the match, it was John. Maybe he shouldn't have made that FB comment (God knows how much grief has been caused by impulsive social media posts), but that was his only sin.

So, Jayson, if you're reading this (which I doubt you are) and if you care (which I'm sure you don't), I offer my heartfelt apology for judging you so harshly in public. As Kevin said about you on your FB page after your match, you are a great, great player. I hope you stick with our game for a very long time.

Yeah, I agree with you. I was there scoring the Schmidt Shaw match. I also scored Shaw's 227 and was around for most of his attempts, this year and last.

While he is young and impetuous, he has usually been very respectful of the game and of our event. While John was on a run, his wife posted something about the game on fb. Shaw, sitting next to her probably got a ding on his phone. I attribute his statement on FB as no more than him looking at the positive if John were to run out on him. Nothing more. He behaved like a gentleman throughout the event. He even responded to Mika's threat of beating his 227 with uncharacteristic maturity. Good for him, he said. I hope he does it. Then I'll just have to beat him. A very good sport indeed. :thumbup: