League situation

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A fouls and player B is not paying attention
Player A tells player B you have ball in hand.

Player A fouls again and player B is not paying attention again.
Player A says its your shot and does not tell player B he has ball in hand.

Snooze you lose?

Banks

Banned

Snooze you lose?

Sort of. I've gotten tired of dealing with opponents in the past that do anything but watch the game. It gets old.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hand them the ball so never comes up. But when they're lining up to shoot the wrong ball I don't say anything.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooze you lose?

I tell people they have ball in hand whether it's once, twice, five times. I'm of the school of thought that it's bad etiquette to not tell someone that it's BIH. But, in the situation you just laid out, I have no problem with the way it played out. Pay f***ing attention and you'll know.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooze you lose?

I would keep telling them it is ball in hand.

In this scenario, what is the difference between the first time player A fouled vs the second? If player A felt it was the right thing to do the first time, then he should continue to see that as the right thing to do the second time.

I don't think whether the opponent is watching or not should change your actions. If you don't want to tell opponent is ball in hand, then that is your decision.

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on your personality type. Some will say you snooze you lose. Some (like me) will grab the cueball and hand it to the person or even prop it up on a chalk if they are not even there. It's just a game. If I make a mistake I'm not going to hide it.

Same bs with the call the pocket rule. Everyone knows the rule is in place to prevent an accidental/unintentional win, however unfortunately the rule is also a loophole for people that may not deserve a win to claim it if their opponent forgot to call a pocket even if the ball in question was hanging in the pocket it was made. Takes the same type of personality to do that too. I'm not either.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Just give them the ball, or rest it on a piece of chalk if they are the bar getting a beer, and go back to your seat. They know what that means. And as some players like to blame the guy for not watching close enough, who was the banger that scratched ;)

Is anyone's reputation worth it over one lousy pool game ? It's something you can never get back once it's gone.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

Snooze you lose?

I always feel like these questions have a "if a tree falls in the woods..." kind of vibe.

The truth is that the foul happened whether or not the opponent witnessed it. What if it Player B was paying attention but Player A was blocking his view on that shot? Or the waitress walked by at that exact moment at put some food on the table?

In my opinion, Player A shouldn't be worried about whether or not Player B is paying attention, he should be worried about not fouling so much. But when he does inevitably foul, he should tell Player B that the foul occurred regardless of whether Player B is staring at the table, getting a beer at the bar, or examining something he just pulled from his nose.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I always feel like these questions have a "if a tree falls in the woods..." kind of vibe.

The truth is that the foul happened whether or not the opponent witnessed it. What if it Player B was paying attention but Player A was blocking his view on that shot? Or the waitress walked by at that exact moment at put some food on the table?

In my opinion, Player A shouldn't be worried about whether or not Player B is paying attention, he should be worried about not fouling so much. But when he does inevitably foul, he should tell Player B that the foul occurred regardless of whether Player B is staring at the table, getting a beer at the bar, or examining something he just pulled from his nose.

It is the responsibility of the opponent to put himself in a position where he can see if a shot is a foul. It is not like a game lasts that long to the point where you cant pay attention to what is going on. I don't think that no being able to see it is an excuse.

That being said if I foul I always take my cue and tap the top of the cue ball as they approach the table so there is no doubt. I really do not care if they are paying attention or not. I honestly could not tell you if my opponents pay attention to the game or not. When I am at the table nothing matters unless it is on the felt. Oh and the slide for the coin mechanism matters to. That little bastard has gotten me plenty of times.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I was at a poker game last week. It was heads up play, we both had equal chips. As the dealer was shuffling the cards he jumped up to grab a beer. As he grabbed his beer, the dealer was already shuffling.... so I snuck a peak at his hole cards... wtf, he should pay attention to the game. He had pocket Kings, and as he sat down, I said, I "fold" before he could even bet ;)

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
It is the responsibility of the opponent to put himself in a position where he can see if a shot is a foul.

Agree to disagree? The only argument I can see for needing to see if your opponent fouls is if he's dishonest. If your opponent is honest, he will tell you when he fouls.

It is not like a game lasts that long to the point where you cant pay attention to what is going on. I don't think that no being able to see it is an excuse.

One game? Sure. One match? Not so much. Last night my match dragged on to the point that I was ready to concede just so I could go home.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooze you lose?

While it's bad form, it's not really illegal, although in leagues and other tournaments it's up to the players to call fouls, even if it's on them.

I think in some leagues the captain of the team is allowed to call a foul if the player does not, but they may be just bad memories and maybe not true.

This is why I tell people to pay attention to the table even when they are not playing. My son did this just days ago, he missed, hung up the cue ball in the jaws and walked away from the table to where I was. I look over and the guy has the cueball and is lining it up for a shot. Brains are a big part of this game, if someone wants to goof off, not do the right things mentally and have respect for the other player and the match, it's on them as to what happens.

Whoever was not watching should have been. While I don't think it's was proper for the other player not to say it was ball in hand, I am only 50% on either side, if it happened to me, I would not really be upset.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'd let him know it's BIH.

Funny thing though, 9 time out of ten the guy that wasn't paying attention in this scenario will, after he misses, no doubt remember to tell you that you are now on two. :p

LegitStick1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will tell people when I foul everytime no matter what, but I do not expect people to tell me whent they foul. If I foul it is my mistake for fouling, not theirs for not paying attention.I am an honest player and pay very close attention during my games.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always call fouls on myself. Karma and what not...

Recently, I had an opponent get upset when I called foul after he shot the wrong ball and I'm ok with that. It's my job to win the game, not tell my opponent what to shoot.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always pick up the ball and hand it to my opponent if I believe I committed a foul. I do not expect my opponent to extend the same curtesy

thomba02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is supposed to be a gentleman's or gentlewomen's game. We all love the game, so we should all try to raise it to a respectable level. It's been said, but worth repeating, it's just a game.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
In APA you are not required to tell your opponent that he has BIH, It is the honest thing to do and the ethical thing to do.

We play teams that will not tell you. They are deemed ass holes. They're demeanor shows the same shitty attitude through out the match.

There are other teams that will tell you and even help you placing the ball. They are fun to play and it is always a good time whether we win or lose.........

You must ask your self the question.......... which team do we want to be known as............????

kim

Reactions: KRJ