US Pool Will Continue to Suffer...

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I did not win the powerball lottery, so no large donation from me to kickstart the US Pool scene. Sorry.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Parlors created their own problems. Dingy rooms, shaky equipment. Not keeping up with generational needs. A poolroom full of Diamond tight pocket tables will discourage anyone. No tv's f or College and NFL games, no pizza, no table service, dirty bathrooms, no video games, ping pong, shuffle boards, dart boards, certainly didn't attract women where men wanted to be, offered no $$ breaks or day specials, no advertising, no youth program, no senior program, nor music recording room, no ac, dirty. The room I frequent has all that and more. It's packed thurs, fri, sat, sun.
I predict more rooms will close. Streaming will increase Manufacture sales a lot this year for home use. In fact a small ring of homes are now forming league like competitions. One week here another there. For a small fee I was allowed to view a few home tournaments. Very comfortable.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolboy, I live in a retirement community of 161 homes with 12 private tables, that I know of. We have had a "floating" pool game going but I'm interested in a home tournament. Can you tell me where I can find information on running something like that when you only have one table to work with on any given night?

In another year we should have the social center open but that looks like it will just be two tables. So with more homes built and players, it's the same problem.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolboy, I live in a retirement community of 161 homes with 12 private tables, that I know of. We have had a "floating" pool game going but I'm interested in a home tournament. Can you tell me where I can find information on running something like that when you only have one table to work with on any given night?

In another year we should have the social center open but that looks like it will just be two tables. So with more homes built and players, it's the same problem.

This should help some adjust to size number of players.
http://www.pool4u.com/Docs/How-To-Run-A-Pool-Tournament.aspx

I never hosted one but many here will chime in with tips and template to go by.
Since I started back again I played in 2 with 8 players, $50 entries, 2 losses out, Sat and Sun. Ya need an energetic one to organize and manage one. They start em up here in the Fall through Winter with Summers being busy. Calcutta's are an interesting addition. I'm amazed I cashed for the 2 but still in negative. We have strict attendance rules as the women have to be kept happy. We are learning as we have em. The room I hang at at times let's me put up a notice on BB. Nice list of names. We will have to start a drawing soon to be fair. We're trying to stay small but now busting at the seams. I know nothing about legal stuff. Fun so far. We are really working out a deal eventually playing in the pool room but it gets expensive and complicated. It will work out.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool Parlors created their own problems. Dingy rooms, shaky equipment. Not keeping up with generational needs. A poolroom full of Diamond tight pocket tables will discourage anyone. No tv's f or College and NFL games, no pizza, no table service, dirty bathrooms, no video games, ping pong, shuffle boards, dart boards, certainly didn't attract women where men wanted to be, offered no $$ breaks or day specials, no advertising, no youth program, no senior program, nor music recording room, no ac, dirty. The room I frequent has all that and more. It's packed thurs, fri, sat, sun.
I predict more rooms will close. Streaming will increase Manufacture sales a lot this year for home use. In fact a small ring of homes are now forming league like competitions. One week here another there. For a small fee I was allowed to view a few home tournaments. Very comfortable.

I have 3 extremely well maintained tables, all cleaned and balls polished 3x's weekly. Offer free pool to our Team members everyday, except after 6pm Friday and all day Sat., Sundays tables are open all day with a min. $5 purchase. The tables are Diamond Smart's all set up by RKC, Aramith Duramith Tournament balls, and Delta racks. All house cues are Lucasi's w/various Ultraskin tips, and they are maintained. We are doing a cost study as we speak to see if it is financially viable to keep the tables in the bar. Bottom line is 80% of pool players don't spend any money and think because they're on a team everything should be free to them. Flame away, Brian.

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet deal

I have 3 extremely well maintained tables, all cleaned and balls polished 3x's weekly. Offer free pool to our Team members everyday, except after 6pm Friday and all day Sat., Sundays tables are open all day with a min. $5 purchase. The tables are Diamond Smart's all set up by RKC, Aramith Duramith Tournament balls, and Delta racks. All house cues are Lucasi's w/various Ultraskin tips, and they are maintained. We are doing a cost study as we speak to see if it is financially viable to keep the tables in the bar. Bottom line is 80% of pool players don't spend any money and think because they're on a team everything should be free to them. Flame away, Brian.

Sounds like a sweet deal for the league players and a nice set up. (Place to play)
$5 purchase, play all day Sunday's sign me up.
Good luck.
MCP

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a sweet deal for the league players and a nice set up. (Place to play)
Good luck.
MCP

The prob is , that I can't get through to the league players. We had 6 teams playing on the same night, 30 people min.. We did not sell a case of beer. For the amount of people, we brought 3 bartenders in to give better service, so with the extra payroll, WC Taxes, Un Emp. Taxes, and the house round for league shooters, we lost money that night. Haveing a bar full of people doesn't = profit and I don't know a single person in Business, that's in it to break even. Brian.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
I did not win the powerball lottery, so no large donation from me to kickstart the US Pool scene. Sorry.

Nice avatar.
I have been reading about Pliny a few years now and can't buy it out this way. Would you be willing to ship me a bottle and what is the price?

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck.
MCP

We had same problem at our Country Club. We called em Trunk Slammers. They'd play golf, throw clubs in trunk and head out with nothing spent inside. So they were assessed $XX.XX per month. You must communicate the situation. Assess the League extra $$ each wk. mo. or cancel out the League. They won't find another house that will tolerate it. Force their hand! Where I hit golf balls, buy buckets and get one free etc. Be creative!

Last edited:

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone please fill me in on what is this league that you guys talk about. I have never heard of it and thus curious, someone I think also mentioned about streaming it. Would really like to know more about this.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone please fill me in on what is this league that you guys talk about. I have never heard of it and thus curious, someone I think also mentioned about streaming it. Would really like to know more about this.

Just house tournaments we had up in NY. 8-12 participants paid a fee to play. If any observers they also paid a fee, Pot split accordingly by winner etc. Mostly straight pool back then but did play some 9-5 ball with the 5 pocketed receiving half worth of 9. Made it more interesting. Some ran Sat - Sun. There were a lot of players back in the 60's.

Streaming is watching live pool tournaments through out the US and Europe, Asia. on a PC, laptop, etc. You can mirror the picture from device to tv for better view. A cheap way of doing it is running a HDMI cable from device to tv. Both devices must be compliant. Pros and amateurs go at it and some handicapped, Search pool streaming.Super way of improving game by watching.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AHH HA HA HAAAA, this is funny. First off thanks a lot poolboy for the info.

Now, I am well versed in the like of pool and streaming (side note, I use chromecast to watch on tv) when you guys said "house" I really thought that's what you meant, I was thinking guys came to someones home and played and streamed it. I think it was buzzard's post that led me down the rabbit hole.
Wait... you didn't really mean "house" did you? Cause they are usually called "In house" tourneys, I actually just finished a season and debating if to play next season that starts in about two weeks.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AHH HA HA HAAAA, this is funny. First off thanks a lot poolboy for the info.

Now, I am well versed in the like of pool and streaming (side note, I use chromecast to watch on tv) when you guys said "house" I really thought that's what you meant, I was thinking guys came to someones home and played and streamed it. I think it was buzzard's post that led me down the rabbit hole.
Wait... you didn't really mean "house" did you? Cause they are usually called "In house" tourneys, I actually just finished a season and debating if to play next season that starts in about two weeks.

I meant what I said Pilgrim! House tournament as in one's home.......

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking about "kickstarting" pool.....pool is just about the only thing that never seems to get successfully funded through Kickstarter. Has anything made it yet? Just wondering

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
I had a tournament once at a pool hall and the owner had plenty of very nice tables and even a snooker table to play on but he served no hard liquor no food and didnt have much music playing so the place sounded very dead and was a boring place as nice as it was. Owners need to cater to the customers so that more people can have fun playing it.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget about the Pool Player

The owner of Garlic City Billiards (now defunct), stop supporting tournaments after none of the pool players bought anything.

He changed the format to local players, sold beer a dollar less than the local Bar's and Started playing Mexican music, and had nice servers.

The place filled up, it was not uncommon for a table to buy $200 of beer.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant what I said Pilgrim! House tournament as in one's home.......

WHAT? No way. That sounds really cool, and some guys stream it? How do you guys handycap this? Must take a while with just one table. More like a X players gambling on the same table. I would love to see this next time it's on, info please.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Interesting thread, in 'House' (a private home) league and tourneys.

When I ran my league back in the mid 90's I tried to get home owners to support an in home, traveling league. Everyone was all for this when we had our first and very quickly the last meeting. What caused that league not to form was the question I brought up, "Of the home owners here, would you have a problem with total strangers in your home?" Everyone actually looked around and shook there heads no in conformation, meeting adjourned.
It's one thing to meet in a public arena where insurance covers mishaps and problems, it's a real nightmare for homeowners, in this type of situation, explaining to there homeowners insurance.
Everyone knew I ran a taught ship but even I could not control argumentative and unruly players. The only thing in my power was to remove the team for one bad apple... even if it was a "Kennedy".

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHAT? No way. That sounds really cool, and some guys stream it? How do you guys handycap this? Must take a while with just one table. More like a X players gambling on the same table. I would love to see this next time it's on, info please.

Wow slow down will ya :) House pool parties have been going on long long before streaming. I do not know a person that would allow a stream out from his property. ya need equipment and advertisers to stream on a grand scale. Not to mention an IT to pull it off. Most handicapping would come from leagues that compile such factual info and can rate a player. Like a Country Club keeping scores of players achievements every round to enable handicapping their tournaments. In 9 ball for example a lower handicap player may take 2 balls off the table after the break. As for streaming dates and times go to AZB srtreaming forum for such info. Some are free some cheap, some expensive. The Sport is just into the beginning of this so it can be shaky at times. Some streamers have excellent quality picture, some not so but still vieweable.