Ivory ban: Are you afraid to offend people with your ivory cues?

dom_poppa

Banned
Dom-poppa. Your last comment - you know you care where it came from. This shows that you are an antagonist and a troll. You don't know me. How can you presume to know what I care about? I assure you that if ivory came from a plant source - or a nuisance animal like wild hogs - and I could get it cheaper or free - I would be happier. Next you will be accusing me of raping baby elephants before ripping their immature tusks out by hand.
Wow - that sounded ridiculous... just like your last comment to me.

You're right I don't know you so I am making judgements based on your posts. You like fine custom cues don't you? Fan of Black Boar?

Trust me, I believe you rather have some nice exotic mammoth or near extinct elephant than a wild boar. I would too.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just like PETA activists spray painting the fur coats of celebrities, are you guys afraid to offend other pool players? What if they damaged your cues?

Do you feel ashamed?

Ya I feel real guilty. Both shafts have ivory ferrules from the 60's.

Attachments

• DF cue.jpg
    DF cue.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 205

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory

Dom- p. I don't care whether it is exotic. There - I just repeated it for you. As a matter of fact - I prefer the price is free. From a dirty, nasty wild boar. Do any of you southern boys have any boar tusks that you can send me for my future cue builds? Pm me and I will pay shipping for them. Make sure you answer on here too so that dumb-poppa can see that I am getting worthless non exotic pig parts. Thanks in advance.

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fifteen years ago I purchased on the secondary market a Gina. Ivory was not my reason for the purchase, it was a cue by Ernie that became my favorite player. I was breaking no law at the time. Now 2015, I'm told that to even OWN that cue is illegal.

I believe that is what Royce is referring to above regarding "personal property rights".

Paul

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez Royce, No I did not know they were banning dead Mammoth's too. Next thing I'll hear is that the Gov'mint is raiding guitar factories and stealing their wood.

You might have to start making your sticks out of free range tumbleweed.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems the vast majority has been misled to think this is about saving the elephants. Clueless, milk fed raised on government, they view any normal person as being insensitive, irrational, and a pathetic uncaring human being.

Too bad they don't realize they're the ones who are pathetic. In some ways I genuinely have pity for those fools, some gave posted here on this thread. Wake up, grow a pair, learn what life is about. It ain't about saving the earth from the bad people. It's all about money and control.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have pets that I love dearly. I eat meat. I know humans will always eat meat and kills animals for survival. I could never kill a deer but I will get a burger at McDonald's. So call me two faced. However I do think how the animals are treated is important to me. Heck they have to kill lobsters and crabs in a humane way before cooking them. I do find it disturbing when I see a dead elephant and the only resource from the elephant were it's tusk. I find it disturbing how calves are treated to make veal. I find it disturbing that the beaks of chickens are ripped off. Poachers kill elephants for ivory only. I find that disturbing. Wonder how many of us would feel the same way if we had to go on the hunt and watch the elephant die for its tusk. we eat cows to survive. We don't kill elephants to survive.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walkermine....ownership of a cue with ivory is not illegal. The regulation was enacted as de facto basis and the reg also clearly specifies that ownership is permissible. It is a ban on the importation or exportation of raw ivory or items containing ivory which are unaccompanied by CITES documentation.

The sale of ivory is still permissible within the confines of the USA as long as the ivory complies with the several exemptions specified within the regulation. The sale of items with ivory is still legal but the ruckus is about localized law enforcement apprehending people at flea markets and such. You don't see then kicking down the doors of cue-makers, or cue components distributors that advertise ivory for sale. Pool cues aren't being confiscated like some jerk wrote would happen at SBE.

Hang onto your cue because trying to replace ivory with anything else will always haunt you if you were to do something like that. You'd always know how great your cue used to feel versus the solid, but nonetheless dead, hit of a piloted steel joint. You could try phenolic but face it, nothing would play as great as ivory and you'd regret the switch.

And mention of any cue confiscation, well, that's as aberrant minded as stirring up discussion about gun confiscation.......look at my signature & avatar....does it look like I'm concerned about either in the least? Ivory joints play & feel different.......ivory joints are on the best of the best from esteemed cue-makers for a reason.......ivory ferrules have a different hit & sound great too........ivory cue butts are the most handsome........ivory inlays are the most attractive.........there is a huge supply of ivory that is still legal here in the USA and that's a fact, Jack.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Do you know how much it cost to save these animals? Down here in FL. it takes millions of dollars in donations and gov help to just keep one or two alive in the wild. Meanwhile millions of American humans go W/O food and housing. The human is above the animal. This whole country is getting more and more FU. Johnnyt

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Walk into a room that has a blacklight. Ivory fluoresces green.

Not exactly and not consistently. At best it looks very 'white' when compared to most synthetics. But different types of Ivory/tusk/bone/etc can look different still. It's not a great test.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know how much it cost to save these animals? Down here in FL. it takes millions of dollars in donations and gov help to just keep one or two alive in the wild. Meanwhile millions of American humans go W/O food and housing. The human is above the animal. This whole country is getting more and more FU. Johnnyt

If a species were to come along on earth that was superior to humans intellectually and physically, wouldn't we hope that this species would treat us in a morally responsible way?

I'm not familiar with all of the information about ivory and how much of the elephant species is being killed off by the poaching, but I do think that is a good thing to keep such an intelligent species alive if at all possible. If that means not having ivory in my cue, then so be it. I'm not a huge animal rights activist or anything, but elephants are great animals that deserve to exist and not suffer unnecessarily.

Of course human suffering needs to be addressed too, but trying to improve the conditions of humans and other animals does not have to be mutually exclusive.

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walkermine....ownership of a cue with ivory is not illegal. The regulation was enacted as de facto basis and the reg also clearly specifies that ownership is permissible.....

Matt, I believe possessing any ivory will require that the owner must apply for a CITES pre-Convention certificate that basically states the ivory was taken from the wild prior to Feb 26, 1976. Have you contacted F&W Management to inquire on how to obtain that certificate? Let me know how that goes.

I don't envision being raided any more than you do. That's not my point. For the millions of citizens that may knowingly or unknowingly possess something that has ivory in its' make-up, they likely won't have this document and probably wouldn't be able to get one if they wanted to. Without proof, what you possess isn't legal. If that doesn't bother you, then fine.

Paul