What's the deal bro?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Related:

I ordered a cue in late 2013 and was told it would be finished in mid 2014. Fast forward to early 2015 and the cue was never finished. I contacted the maker, gave an ultimatum that wasn't met, and I was refunded my deposit.

I ordered a case in 2013. The order was lost and never spoken of again. I brought it up on AzB and the maker contacted me (almost two years after the order was placed). I decided to get it made anyway. I was told it would be ready in 4 weeks. It's over 4 weeks now and I have no case. I sent a message to cancel my order, assuming it still has yet to go through.

Not Pool Related:

I ordered a custom knife in late 2014. The maker told me he would send an invoice when it was ready. A few weeks later and I got the invoice. I paid in full and had the knife within three days.

I ordered another custom knife in late 2014. This time something more elaborate, that would for sure take time. I stayed in contact with the maker the entire time. Within a few months time, I received an invoice and the knife was shipped.

So what's the deal bro? Why do people in the pool industry take so long, just to tell me they can't deliver? I enjoy custom things. Anything you can think of, someone makes customs. However, I only have trouble with people in the pool industry.

\rant

PS.

If you can rattle off some names of trustworthy people, that get **** done in a timely fashion, please let me know. I've got an itch for more customs and I'm done dealing with the BS. :thumbup:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
All I can say is watch who you order from. Never pay in full up front. Keep tabs on the build. (don't be rude or annoying, just keep tabs.) that's about all i can add.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something like:

" I really don't play much"

"I produce a bunch of cues, and totally ship in a timely fashon"

Yeah, right.

TheThaiger

Banned
If you can treat people like shit, you do treat people like shit.

Pool players are the biggest mug punters on planet earth.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Why does a dog lick his b@lls?

Because he can.

Even with the sorry state of the industry, custom makers have enough business that they can get away with lousy customer service.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS.

If you can rattle off some names of trustworthy people, that get **** done in a timely fashion, please let me know. I've got an itch for more customs and I'm done dealing with the BS. :thumbup:

Leon Sly. Talk to him. Point work that is sharp and perfect. Finish that looks like water and he can make whatever you want in a timely fashion. He will gladly give you a lead time that he can deliver. Great guy to talk to and if he doesn't take your call, he always returns it. I can't say enough good things about the man.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
There are cue builders out there that are timely and honest.
You just have to find one that you can work with.

Joe

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gotten to the point I don't order anything that isn't on the shelf already made.
not worth the hassle. buy used is the only answer.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I know right...try waiting nearly decade for a Tibbitts cue you ordered and paid a deposit on. Sure makes you appreciate all the reliable and honest makers that are out there.

TheThaiger

Banned
I've gotten to the point I don't order anything that isn't on the shelf already made.
not worth the hassle. buy used is the only answer.

The used market is even more bananas.

PS your avatar needs replacing. That bar was being converted into something very NPR when I went a few days ago. :(

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe.

There are several nut huggers here and I will give examples.

I ordered a cue and he quoted $1600 to build a 4 point, hoppe ring, cue. His delivery was 5 years, and he required a 25% (deposit). All of which I had no problem with, as I can understand that every Tom, Dick and Harry could have a cuemaker build a custom cue and then not buy it when it was complete.

So after 6 years or so, I was "next on the list" but the price had changed to like $3500 or something. That was the probably the retail on that cue now, as this cuemakers reputation and cues were very sought after.

I wasn't interested in being held hostage for the cue.

I went down to see the cuemaker and he hadn't started it at all.

I went public and the nut huggers hammered me. My thread was deleted from AZ, and some of the nut huggers offered me my money to take my place for the next cue.

I had an attorney send a note down demanding my deposit, and after a few weeks I got it.

That shows the kind of class some cuemakers have, or the lack of it.

Sometimes a cuemakers shop may burn down and it is a tragedy, sometimes its just karma. :cool:

Ken

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I honestly don't get it. There's so much shady stuff in pool.

It's not shady when they are all doing it, it's more of a way of life.
There has got to be a cuemaker academy out there training them on how to create
the illusion that your cue will be completed.
The advanced cuemaker courses get into more specific's, convincing the customer
of an actual date the cue will be completed...typically 4 weeks and / or the end of the
month..:smile:...whichever comes last.

Banks

Banned
Try being grossly overcharged by an installer that doesn't deliver the rest of your product for two months. Straight from the RKC school of customer service. The pool industry does indeed suck ass. Still waiting for somebody that can provide a good product and not take forever to do it.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about your experience. It only takes a few to ruin the image for everyone.
I never had an issue dealing with Paul Huebler, or Joel Weinstock. Joel Weinstock kept me updated on the status of my cue, and followed up after I received it to make sure I was happy.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
just to piggy back on what has been said,
I have relationships with several well known cue makers, some which have many year long waitlists.

I have developed those relationships over the years and am fortunate in some cases to call them my friend. I know I can call up some of these and get, advice, help, second opinion, and what not, not to mention a cue. So when one of them says to me, " your cue will be done in December of 2014 and I just find out today that it hasn't even been started, my answer back, is "no problem my friend.

or I will make you a cue in my next batch and then he says do you mind if you put you in the following batch I need to make a cue for someone that had an issue with his last one, I give the same answer.

I guess I have been fortunate to order cues from and develop relationships with those who have been trust worthy plus a little (read a lot) of patience has paid off.

rarely has a cue been ready when quoted.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try being grossly overcharged by an installer that doesn't deliver the rest of your product for two months. Straight from the RKC school of customer service. The pool industry does indeed suck ass. Still waiting for somebody that can provide a good product and not take forever to do it.

Prostitutes. In fact, the less time it takes the happier they are.