What's the deal bro?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not Pool Related:

I ordered a custom knife in late 2014. The maker told me he would send an invoice when it was ready. A few weeks later and I got the invoice. I paid in full and had the knife within three days.

I ordered another custom knife in late 2014. This time something more elaborate, that would for sure take time. I stayed in contact with the maker the entire time. Within a few months time, I received an invoice and the knife was shipped.

What custom knives did you order? I used to be heavily into custom knives now, just dabble a bit in traditionals these days, but I'm curious who you were ordering from and what you got???

Cuemakers definitely don't seem to work with the same standards the knife guys do. To some degree I can see where it's more complicated, knives just don't take as long from start to finish. Most guys can start a knife and finish it in a few days. They really only have to work on one knife at a time, or at most a small handful. Cuemakers need to have many cues in various stages of build because it just takes so much longer because of the wood.

I don't know enough about custom cues to give any recommendations, but I enjoy reading the ones from others.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What custom knives did you order? I used to be heavily into custom knives now, just dabble a bit in traditionals these days, but I'm curious who you were ordering from and what you got???

Cuemakers definitely don't seem to work with the same standards the knife guys do. To some degree I can see where it's more complicated, knives just don't take as long from start to finish. Most guys can start a knife and finish it in a few days. They really only have to work on one knife at a time, or at most a small handful. Cuemakers need to have many cues in various stages of build because it just takes so much longer because of the wood.

I don't know enough about custom cues to give any recommendations, but I enjoy reading the ones from others.

My last knife was from Shannon Carter and the one before it was from Brian Selby. I agree that it's comparing apples to oranges, but I had to use examples of custom items ordered that have lead times and were/were not delivered. I could have included other custom items too (unrelated to pool or knives), but I didn't see the need.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Pool Related:

I ordered a cue in late 2013 and was told it would be finished in mid 2014. Fast forward to early 2015 and the cue was never finished. I contacted the maker, gave an ultimatum that wasn't met, and I was refunded my deposit.

I ordered a case in 2013. The order was lost and never spoken of again. I brought it up on AzB and the maker contacted me (almost two years after the order was placed). I decided to get it made anyway. I was told it would be ready in 4 weeks. It's over 4 weeks now and I have no case. I sent a message to cancel my order, assuming it still has yet to go through.

Not Pool Related:

I ordered a custom knife in late 2014. The maker told me he would send an invoice when it was ready. A few weeks later and I got the invoice. I paid in full and had the knife within three days.

I ordered another custom knife in late 2014. This time something more elaborate, that would for sure take time. I stayed in contact with the maker the entire time. Within a few months time, I received an invoice and the knife was shipped.

So what's the deal bro? Why do people in the pool industry take so long, just to tell me they can't deliver? I enjoy custom things. Anything you can think of, someone makes customs. However, I only have trouble with people in the pool industry.

\rant

PS.

If you can rattle off some names of trustworthy people, that get **** done in a timely fashion, please let me know. I've got an itch for more customs and I'm done dealing with the BS. :thumbup:

If you like custom knifes try out BenchMade. They make a great custom!. I loving living in Oregon where we have some of the biggest names in the knife industry here.

On a different note I am sorry to hear about all your bad luck with your custom orders. Keep looking for the right maker that is reliable and best of luck

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Pool Related:

I ordered a cue in late 2013 and was told it would be finished in mid 2014. Fast forward to early 2015 and the cue was never finished. I contacted the maker, gave an ultimatum that wasn't met, and I was refunded my deposit.

I ordered a case in 2013. The order was lost and never spoken of again. I brought it up on AzB and the maker contacted me (almost two years after the order was placed). I decided to get it made anyway. I was told it would be ready in 4 weeks. It's over 4 weeks now and I have no case. I sent a message to cancel my order, assuming it still has yet to go through.

So what's the deal bro? Why do people in the pool industry take so long, just to tell me they can't deliver? I enjoy custom things. Anything you can think of, someone makes customs. However, I only have trouble with people in the pool industry.

\rant

PS.

If you can rattle off some names of trustworthy people, that get **** done in a timely fashion, please let me know. I've got an itch for more customs and I'm done dealing with the BS. :thumbup:

Let me know when you're ready to get your pool table worked on. I know just the guy to help keep your pool experiences consistent. :thumbup:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All these bad experiences are the reason I've never bought anything in the For Sale subsection and why my Itrader will always be zero.