• I look at the Cue Ball last

Votes: 33 15.0%
  • I look at the Object Ball last

Votes: 187 85.0%

• Total voters

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Quick poll: When throwing a baseball do you look at the baseball/your hand/your arm last or do you look at the target last?

Bad analogy.

A better one is,
Does a batter look at the pitched baseball last, or the fence?

Or
Does a golfer look at the golf ball last, or the hole?

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I am hitting it good, I can't tell ya, wish I could.
After I aim, The stroke makes the shot.
I guess you could call it:
The Way of the Stroke.
I could be looking at my foot, doesn't matter.

If I am not hitting it good, it really doesn't matter, I am missing the shot anyway, and you wouldn't solicit my opinion.

A person, given the set of skills to play this most difficult game at the highest level, will never get above basement level until they get their eyes right.

I do know one thing.

When shooting over the top of another ball,
look upon the cue ball last, and be sure to hit center ball.
Rempe was the first I heard say that.
do not miss the center on this shot.

So, no real answer here, the answer to this question could be in the snooker forum.
me

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If I am hitting it good, I can't tell ya, wish I could.
After I aim, The stroke makes the shot.
I guess you could call it:
The Way of the Stroke.
I could be looking at my foot, doesn't matter.

If I am not hitting it good, it really doesn't matter, I am missing the shot anyway, and you wouldn't solicit my opinion.

A person, given the set of skills to play this most difficult game at the highest level, will never get above basement level until they get their eyes right.

I do know one thing.

When shooting over the top of another ball,
look upon the cue ball last, and be sure to hit center ball.
Rempe was the first I heard say that.
do not miss the center on this shot.

So, no real answer here, the answer to this question could be in the snooker forum.
me

Actually, I started this poll because of what the poster said in post # 21 in this thread

There is NO QUESTION in my mind what should be looked at last. :thumbup:

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I read post 21.
good thread as well
No doubt it works for him, no disrespect to DrC
results are all that matters.

A person should not need to look at cue ball to get desired hit.
get a repeatable stroke and forget about it.
you gotta know where you are going to strike it, and if you don't looking at it is not going to help. The stroke happens to fast to make any adjustment.

solution: Hit a couple two or three thousand stop shots. The beauty of the shot is instant feedback. you hit center ball or missed it.
Hit it a few thousand more time to be sure.
me

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad analogy.

A better one is,
Does a batter look at the pitched baseball last, or the fence?

Not even close. The baseball is the target, and it's moving. The destination of the baseball is not determined. You are just trying to hit the baseball in a specific spot at a specific time, possibly aiming for an area of the field, not a specific spot. Obviously you have to keep your eye on the ball.

Does a golfer look at the golf ball last, or the hole?

Again, way off. In golf, the target is usually far away, and it's a different method of aiming. In pool, you have your head in line with the shot, just like aiming a rifle. In golf, looking at your target 200 yards away doesn't accomplish anything, especially since your head isn't in line with the end of your club.

Darts, shooting a gun, throwing a baseball, shooting a basketball, all involve concentrating on the target, while trusting your alignment and fundamentals. Pool is no different.

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, I started this poll because of what the poster said in post # 21 in this thread

Here's his quote and my response.

I haven't read the entire thread because my meatloaf, green beans, potatos, and Mt. Dew are about done.

But, if you are not striking the CB where you want is there any doubt its because you are looking at the OB last and not the CB?????

Why oh why oh why oh why would anybody want to look at the OB last is completely beyond me. The only ball going anywhere is the CB so why not focus on hitting it exactly where you want to!!!!!!

DCP

Could you imagine grabbing the milk out of the fridge by lining up your hand and the milk, and then looking at your hand while you actually go to grab it?

This is basis of hand-eye coordination.

When you throw a baseball, shoot a basketball, throw a dart, etc, you are focused on the target, not the ball or your hand/arm.

You really should treat your cue as if it's an extension of your arm. In the practice room you figure out your stroke just like a basketball player figures out issues with his alignment/delivery of the ball.

Once you are down on the ball and you have looked at your cue ball, done a few practice strokes, you should trust that your stroke is straight, and nothing is going to change.

Imagine if you were shooting a rifle, and you lined up your shot, and then took your eyes off of the target to look at the trigger as you pressed it.

This is why most people look at the OB last, while focusing completely on that contact point as the deliver the cue ball to that contact point.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member

?????
So you started the thread because of something someone posted within the thread??
How does that work?

I can understand curiosity in diverse opinions, but why do some of you insist that there is only one "right" way?

Like I said in my first post, and as I continue to say, you do what works for you.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Here's his quote and my response.

Could you imagine grabbing the milk out of the fridge by lining up your hand and the milk, and then looking at your hand while you actually go to grab it?

This is basis of hand-eye coordination.

When you throw a baseball, shoot a basketball, throw a dart, etc, you are focused on the target, not the ball or your hand/arm.

You really should treat your cue as if it's an extension of your arm. In the practice room you figure out your stroke just like a basketball player figures out issues with his alignment/delivery of the ball.

Once you are down on the ball and you have looked at your cue ball, done a few practice strokes, you should trust that your stroke is straight, and nothing is going to change.

Imagine if you were shooting a rifle, and you lined up your shot, and then took your eyes off of the target to look at the trigger as you pressed it.

This is why most people look at the OB last, while focusing completely on that contact point as the deliver the cue ball to that contact point.

I couldn't agree more.

One thing that's too bad .. in this great forum that is provided to us to learn and exchange information .... out of over 650 people who took the time to look at this thread .... only about 15% cared to share information with us by so simply clicking a choice.

Fifteen percent! Now that's a shame.

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?????
So you started the thread because of something someone posted within the thread??
How does that work?

I can understand curiosity in diverse opinions, but why do some of you insist that there is only one "right" way?

Like I said in my first post, and as I continue to say, you do what works for you.

If you click the link, it's a post in a different thread.

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick poll: When throwing a baseball do you look at the baseball/your hand/your arm last or do you look at the target last?

Good point, if I was going to throw the cueball at the object ball that would be where I looked while throwing it. I don't think most rules allow this form of play.

Alternatively, when I am trying to hit a nail with a hammer I don't focus on the final ending spot of the nail. I look at the head of it to insure it gets a good square hit.

The way I line up shots ends up with a picture of where I need to hit the cue ball (it is the only one I get to hit with the cue) so I find it easiest to watch what I am aiming to hit.

I understand that my vote in this poll is in the minority, so I am not expecting anyone to agree with my point of view. Just wanted to point out that the analogy about throwing a ball is somewhat irrelevant to pool, unless you were throwing your cue like a spear...

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
The way I line up shots ends up with a picture of where I need to hit the cue ball (it is the only one I get to hit with the cue) so I find it easiest to watch what I am aiming to hit.

I understand that my vote in this poll is in the minority, so I am not expecting anyone to agree with my point of view. Just wanted to point out that the analogy about throwing a ball is somewhat irrelevant to pool, unless you were throwing your cue like a spear...

I think the point is .. if you envision the CB as a part of the cue stick, and your arm, then the only thing you get to hit is the OB. You are throwing your cue stick like a spear. The presence of the CB in the way once you align is inconsequential since you are stroking through it.

I realize that there are many methods, and the standard statement is whatever works for someone .... but I can't help wondering what the definition of "it works for me" is?

Are they run out "A" players or struggling "C" players. If you're playing straight pool, can you put together 2 or 3 racks using that method? If you're an 8 ball player, do you play run out 8 ball or are there multiple innings in most games? Working for someone is relative.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I think the point is .. if you envision the CB as a part of the cue stick, and your arm, then the only thing you get to hit is the OB. You are throwing your cue stick like a spear. The presence of the CB in the way once you align is inconsequential since you are stroking through it.

I realize that there are many methods, and the standard statement is whatever works for someone .... but I can't help wondering what the definition of "it works for me" is?

Are they run out "A" players or struggling "C" players. If you're playing straight pool, can you put together 2 or 3 racks using that method? If you're an 8 ball player, do you play run out 8 ball or are there multiple innings in most games? Working for someone is relative.

Well what works for Ronnie O'Sullivan?

Ronnie O'Sullivan admits to looking at the cue ball last, when asked about a particular shot:

Question; "When you're, um, when you're down on this shot.... Are you, is the last the last ball you look at the cue ball? Or the object ball?"
Ronnie; "Uh I don't even know, to be honest with you."
Question; "No?"
Ronnie; "No, I don't even know. I suppose, it's meant to be the object ball, but I sometimes I find myself looking at the white."

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member

Ronnie O'Sullivan admits to looking at the cue ball last, when asked about a particular shot:

Question; "When you're, um, when you're down on this shot.... Are you, is the last the last ball you look at the cue ball? Or the object ball?"
Question; "No?"
Ronnie; "No, I don't even know. I suppose, it's meant to be the object ball, but I sometimes I find myself looking at the white."

We are all different. I certainly look at the cue ball last on certain shots, however that is not the norm, it's the exception. Masse shots and shots I have to use extreme jack up are 2 examples. Shots where the CB and OB are very close together.

Not to mention Ronnie O'Sullivan isn't the norm either. :)

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point, if I was going to throw the cueball at the object ball that would be where I looked while throwing it. I don't think most rules allow this form of play.

Alternatively, when I am trying to hit a nail with a hammer I don't focus on the final ending spot of the nail. I look at the head of it to insure it gets a good square hit.

Nothing wrong with looking at the CB if it works for you. That said, wouldn't the right hammer-nail question be whether you look at the hammer or the nail when swinging?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Question; "No?"

He is not even sure from his answer above ?? I would not hang my hat on that answer.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
One last drunk post directed at no one in particular.

Ok, ............uh yea, if you can't do it.......it must* be wrong.

Do not try to make that quantum leap that Ronnie O'Sullivan and Willie Hoppe made. Ronnie is considered the savant of snooker and Willie was Billiards Digest's player of the century.

Oh yea you might want to look at the eye pattern of this guy as well, he shoots kind of sporty too.

John Higgins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9Jf8OYqBo&t=5991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9Jf8OYqBo&t=5433
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9Jf8OYqBo&t=1291
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9Jf8OYqBo&t=918

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't want to get into a debate about what is the "correct" ball to aim at, and I've never said I play well. Just what seems to work best for me. I mostly play 8 and nine ball. And I am definitely not an "A" player. I can put together a few racks, but am not suggesting the way I learned is the best. It has just produced better results than aiming at the ob, for me.

Nothing wrong with looking at the CB if it works for you. That said, wouldn't the right hammer-nail question be whether you look at the hammer or the nail when swinging?

Not sure, was only responding to the pool analogy. When swinging a hammer I look at the place I want to put the hammer, not the hammer. In billiards I look where I want to place the cue.

Please note that many here have the time to take the game more seriously than me, and I am not claiming anything other than CB as an aiming point is what I do. I learned to play by aiming at the OB, and played much better when I started aiming at the ball I was hitting, not the one I wanted that to hit with it. In combos and kick shots I don't aim for the OB either.. just whitey. after all, its the only ball I get to contact with my cue (that is the target ;) )

I don't want to change anyone's mind, I am not looking to argue and I never said what I do is better. Just responding to a poll about what I do. -Josh

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look at the OB first to set my aim line.
Once my bridge is planted, I look at the CB.
Be careful, this can lead to developing a steady bridge and eliminate steering from your stroke. :wink:

It may also force one to pre-align their shot via bridge positioning more attentively than otherwise. :eek:

Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some may want to consider the relationship between stroke and direction of CB travel.

A swipe to the right with the cue may send the CB left, right or to the same line, and vice versa for a left swipe.

Movement of the bridge V to the right, with a straight stroke will always change the direction of CB to the left and vice versa.

That begs the question of what the point of looking at the OB last actually is, unless it's a guide for adjustments during the stroke.

Colin