League won't let you change cues to jump? No problem!

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw on reddit.

Cuemaker Gabriel Leigh was called for a foul after he had switched cues to shoot a jump shot. His opponent had waited until he had shot the jump to call foul and tell him he is not allowed to switch cues for the shot.

He went and made this cue to ensure that situation does not happen again :rotflmao:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
According to reddit posting, this league uses a mash-up of APA and BCA rules. Irregardless, Gabriel Leigh should've read the rules before hand.

Years ago, I remembered some casual players were arguing whether making the 8-ball on the break was a win. They came up to me and asked me for ruling. I asked them which rule set did they agree upon? I explained in APA, 8-ball on the break is a win, while BCA rules you have a choice of re-rack or spotting the 8-ball and continue. They could come to an agreement whether to credit the current game as a win or not, but more importantly going forward to use BCA or APA rules. I pointed out the front desk had booklets for both rule sets.

Don't always assume the rules you play are universal else. Especially in league, where some player prefer to win using the rulebook rather than their pool skill.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Exactly

Recently I was asked to decide if during an APA match where a player refused a shot and handed it back to the other shooter was legal. I had no idea there wasn't a 3 foul rule in that league but apparently there wasn't and the shooter handed it back to the original player who was up, she shot and he ran out. So I told them it was 6 of one and a half dozen of the other since it ended the way it supposed to have been played but I have never heard of such a thing.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I saw it on Reddit last night too... It looks just as ridiculous here.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to reddit posting, this league uses a mash-up of APA and BCA rules. Irregardless, Gabriel Leigh should've read the rules before hand.

Years ago, I remembered some casual players were arguing whether making the 8-ball on the break was a win. They came up to me and asked me for ruling. I asked them which rule set did they agree upon? I explained in APA, 8-ball on the break is a win, while BCA rules you have a choice of re-rack or spotting the 8-ball and continue. They could come to an agreement whether to credit the current game as a win or not, but more importantly going forward to use BCA or APA rules. I pointed out the front desk had booklets for both rule sets.

Don't always assume the rules you play are universal else. Especially in league, where some player prefer to win using the rulebook rather than their pool skill.

Good post. When I started playing league it was bar rules. Scratch on the 8 = Loss, break the 8 = win, foul is above the headstring, 3 foul, ect.

My first time in league playing in a bigger area they played VNEA rules. I was young and dumb and thought I knew everything because I've been playing league for 5 years and all the rules are the same right? First game up I'm shooting good. I break run down to the 8 and I miss and scratch. What do I proceed to do? Take my cue and rake all the balls to the end of the table for the next player to rack. No one knew what to do and I just conceded the game for my stupidity and failure to know the rules.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I was asked to decide if during an APA match where a player refused a shot and handed it back to the other shooter was legal. I had no idea there wasn't a 3 foul rule in that league but apparently there wasn't and the shooter handed it back to the original player who was up, she shot and he ran out. So I told them it was 6 of one and a half dozen of the other since it ended the way it supposed to have been played but I have never heard of such a thing.

APA does not have pushouts or 3 foul rules (they say to keep from confusing "casual" players), but I don't think in ANY league you can just not shoot your shot and have the other person take your turn. I am pretty sure in standard WPA rules you can give up your break if you want, never heard that you can just tell the other person they can take your shot if they want mid-rack. Unless it's often just a silly thing to do as is not against the rules, but I've never seen or heard of anyone passing back a shot that was not a push.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Tap: you can hand back the ball to the opponent.

APA does not have pushouts or 3 foul rules (they say to keep from confusing "casual" players), but I don't think in ANY league you can just not shoot your shot and have the other person take your turn. I am pretty sure in standard WPA rules you can give up your break if you want, never heard that you can just tell the other person they can take your shot if they want mid-rack. Unless it's often just a silly thing to do as is not against the rules, but I've never seen or heard of anyone passing back a shot that was not a push.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap: you can hand back the ball to the opponent.

I think that you can just pick up the ball and give them ball in hand without shooting it at all, maybe that's what you are thinking of? This way if you know that trying for a hit may be bad and you can just pick up the cueball without trying for a shot. In most places that would be a unsportsmanlike foul which may be loss of game, but in TAP it's OK. That is not the same as just saying "here, you can shoot this from where it is if you want".

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Your right, I read the post to fast.

Of course though in straight pool you can take an intentional foul just by touching the CB with the tip, to give the shot over to the opponent.

With that though there is a point penalty.

But all of that is another matter.

QUOTE=hang-the-9;5306625]I think that you can just pick up the ball and give them ball in hand without shooting it at all, maybe that's what you are thinking of? This way if you know that trying for a hit may be bad and you can just pick up the cueball without trying for a shot. In most places that would be a unsportsmanlike foul which may be loss of game, but in TAP it's OK. That is not the same as just saying "here, you can shoot this from where it is if you want".[/QUOTE]

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member

What a buzzkill

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Those type of leagues are all about taking away the advantages that better players have.

The lesser players can't jump so they try to take that away from those that can.

It's the right thing to do for the league operators as they want teams to split & bring in new players & make money & they want those lesser & new players to enjoy themselves.

Unfortunately that brings in sleezes that have no honor like watching a guy getting ready to commit a foul & letting him do it just so they have a better chance to get a 'win'.

That guy does not even know that he lost regardless of the outcome of the game.

I like the cue idea, but that will be banned the next session after he successfully use it, if not within the same session.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those type of leagues are all about taking away the advantages that better players have.

The lesser players can't jump so they try to take that away from those that can.

snip

Don't really agree with the lesser players can't jump statement. Perhaps lesser players can't jump as well certainly. I would argue, that a to make a good hit when hooked, a lesser play can jump easier than kick to do this.

American Rotation - a league designed for better players - does not allow the use of jump cues. I would imagine precisely for the reason I state. You can jump with your normal playing cue, but you can not use a specialized jump cue nor breakdown your cue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't really agree with the lesser players can't jump statement. Perhaps lesser players can't jump as well certainly. I would argue, that a to make a good hit when hooked, a lesser play can jump easier than kick to do this.

American Rotation - a league designed for better players - does not allow the use of jump cues. I would imagine precisely for the reason I state. You can jump with your normal playing cue, but you can not use a specialized jump cue nor breakdown your cue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he was just using an example of why they don't allow them. They dumb down the game as much as they can so that beginners can compete with someone who has played all their life. I'm not one to bash APA or any league but in my opinion it's what causes many players to just be happy with where they are at and there is little to no incentive to get better because if they do they are penalized for it. I hate sandbagging but I can still understand why it happens in some of the league structures.

Edit: I agree that getting good at kicking is much harder than learning to jump.

2strong4u

Banned
Imagine lowering basketball nets to 7 feet so your average white dude could play like Jordan....This league mentality has killed pool.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Exactly

Yeah I couldn't believe I was being asked the question honestly since it ended up the right way I was like.....so whats the problem here?

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine lowering basketball nets to 7 feet so your average white dude could play like Jordan....This league mentality has killed pool.

We probably aren't far off with our current mentality that every one gets a ribbon and trophy. Working hard and getting better at something are frowned upon today it seems. Lets just all be average so no ones feelings get hurt.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
I like the cue. I built an extension that screw in the bottom of my cue for the same reason. It's purpleheart with a G10 tip. Jumps real well but makes for a long cue.
Not sure how APA could ban using your playing cue to jump? BTW I play the entire match with the extension on the cue. I don't just put it on for jumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndgreen

Registered

In APA if you decide not to shoot a shot for any reason, it would be ball in hand to the incoming player.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps lesser players can't jump as well certainly.

An APA SL2 simply cannot and should not attempt to jump.
An APA SL3 cannot and probably should not attempt to jump.
An APA SL4 probably could jump if they tried with a jump cue,
......................but it will hurt them more often than help them
An APA SL5 can jump, but should not in 95% of all circumstances.
An APA SL6 can jump, but should restrict this to situations with good outcomes,
An APA SL7 can jump, and should in many situations.