Do you let up against friends?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I let up against my friends a lot. Being social while still playing competitively is much more fun than turning into robot trying to destroy them. I know it hurts my game but the tradeoff of having a good time hanging out with my friends is worth it.

True friends will applaud your skill and will be proud of you. I bet they'd be fine with it if you gave them a spot. You don't have to play like a robot. In fact I try to never play like a robot, even when I'm in tough competition.

You work too hard at your game to train yourself to let up, and that's just what you're doing every time you do that.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I have this friend I've been playing pool with since I started playing. In a set to 10 I usually beat him about 10 to 5, without too much of an effort. Straightpool about 100 to 50. He's not a bad player really, and he works hard on his game. Every now and again he will win of course. He will not accept a spot, and he doesn't take losing too well either, he gets kind of down on himself. I try to cheer him up by pointing out that he played well etc. He has actually been improving a little bit lately.

Anyhow, having played him for a long time now, I know his weaknesses and strengths, and could really murder him if I wanted to, by playing a specific way. I usually go for the flashy runouts instead, often giving him a game or two extra as a result.

So to cut to the chase, finally, do you "play to kill" against such an opponent, or do you let up? I catch myself letting up a bit, and I'm afraid I might be doing him a disservice by doing so, but then again I don't want to bring him down either....

I never let up on friends, or beginners. You don't do them any favors when you let up on them. If they beat you, you want them to know they really beat you, that means more to them then someone patronizingly letting them win.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I do, and it does not bother me at all..
If I play with anyone below my level, I`ll play offensive, doing stuff that has a low probability of succeeding. I get to do a cool shot once in a while, they get to play. It`s a win - win situation.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you're teaching them anything by having them rack all the time, or even kicking everything the come to the table also. What is this, Sparta.

Not Sparta, real life. Once they got good enough to beat me they considered it a great accomplishment. If they wanted to have fun they played against themselves and their friends. As a matter of fact they had a lot of fun playing against me. Are you proud of your kids when they bring home a participation trophy? No, of course you aren't.

Banks

Banned
Not Sparta, real life. Once they got good enough to beat me they considered it a great accomplishment. If they wanted to have fun they played against themselves and their friends. As a matter of fact they had a lot of fun playing against me. Are you proud of your kids when they bring home a participation trophy? No, of course you aren't.

Nobody's giving out trophies here. It just comes down to do i want to be a ***** and hog a table while not giving my friends a chance to have fun and relax or do i need to show off, prove some kind of game dominance, try to fit in "serious" practice on a night with friends or teach them some kind of lesson how they should spend the same amount of time trying to catch up to me.

I also wouldn't be proud of somebody bringing home a trophy for beating up on the helpless.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Yes, I let up against friends...and it probably costs me when I'm playing a better player. IMHO to play your best, you have to play your best every time you pick up a cue. Taking crazy shots or using a lazy routine isn't something you can just turn on and off.

Banks

Banned
Taking crazy shots or using a lazy routine isn't something you can just turn on and off.

Not true, at least not for me. When i play for something worth a damn, then i focus and consider my decisions. When i play with friends, i shoot a lot more iffy and fun shots and don't get down much in my stance. Practice and fun times are for doing things that i wouldn't want to in a serious game. Maybe ill take some video soon of just playing and get some azb action. ;)

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I let up against friends...and it probably costs me when I'm playing a better player. IMHO to play your best, you have to play your best every time you pick up a cue. Taking crazy shots or using a lazy routine isn't something you can just turn on and off.

I agree. But I do have to remind myself to play each shot in "friendly" games.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody's giving out trophies here. It just comes down to do i want to be a ***** and hog a table while not giving my friends a chance to have fun and relax or do i need to show off, prove some kind of game dominance, try to fit in "serious" practice on a night with friends or teach them some kind of lesson how they should spend the same amount of time trying to catch up to me.

I also wouldn't be proud of somebody bringing home a trophy for beating up on the helpless.

You have a kind heart Banks. At a party with friends is a different story. None of my friends are serious players so I let them play amongst each other mostly. So I guess I do let up on occasion. My original post was tongue in cheek.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
what if you lay it all on the line and tell him how, when and where you clobber him.
show him the tricks of the trade, let him understand what's on purpose and what's not.
he is a friend and it is a game, what the hell, bring him inside.

I wish I could give him a lesson/tips on some things, but unfortunately, since we started playing the same time, and was at the same level in the beginning, he still thinks this is the case. In his mind, taking tips from someone who he consider his equal is embarrasing somehow. I don't understand this attitude at all, I'd take a tip from anyone so long as I thought they did that thing better than me, but that is how he's like and I can't change that no matter how hard I try. He's so stubborn that no matter what I suggest, he has to do the opposite. But hey, he's funny as hell and has been a good friend to me, and that's what matters to me.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read all the replies
but here is my 2 cents
if your friend is looking to improve and is willing to let you teach/coach him
let your playing time be more lesson type than competition
if its more like friday night lets have a beer/ shoot the breeze/ and play some
id play my friend as a hustler
let him win some but also let him know who is better
ie slow bleed rather than stake in the heart
jmho
icbw
fwiw
i play our house pro from time to time
he will jaw a ball on purpose just to give me a chance to shoot and run out
i always tell him
"thanks for being kind to me"....:wink:

California Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the friend. I'm a solid B or B+ in most leagues. I'm not the type of player that won't let you shoot, but if you're a beginner, it won't be fun either... I usually commit to only playing center ball, or if the player is really bad, practice my banks.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You "kill em all" types must be fun at parties.

Parties are a different story, lol. But if your opponent doesn't feel like you're trying, no matter how you hide it, it's a hollow win for them and a bad habit for you. I'll usually give up the table if I've won a few in a row.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I honestly think you're trying to prove something now, hell you won't even agree 1% with the rest of the room. Instead you want to insist that "no don't pick up the kid, he'll stop crying eventually" is the way the world should be run.

Attachments

• 11986486_867181620024917_3403068427775449996_n.jpg
    11986486_867181620024917_3403068427775449996_n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 112

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I could give him a lesson/tips on some things, but unfortunately, since we started playing the same time, and was at the same level in the beginning, he still thinks this is the case. In his mind, taking tips from someone who he consider his equal is embarrasing somehow. I don't understand this attitude at all, I'd take a tip from anyone so long as I thought they did that thing better than me, but that is how he's like and I can't change that no matter how hard I try. He's so stubborn that no matter what I suggest, he has to do the opposite. But hey, he's funny as hell and has been a good friend to me, and that's what matters to me.

This is what I asked earlier. This guy is like the guy I mentioned except we are not as close a you and your friend, but still I feel the same applies. If this person is a stubborn person like that then I just let it be and do me. This guy that I play doesn't see any great difference in out skill levels and get his face turned up when advice is given, so I play him with 90-95% why cause I don't want to drag out the game with safes, so I only play then when absolutely needed, other than that I go for the Jugular and stop on him or should I say beat the skill difference into him.

This is what you need to do, beat your friend with as many run out and as little safes as possible every time, trust me, he won't quit cause his ego with keep him only but so full. Hands down I think i play my best game against this guy, the guy who hasn't beaten me in almost 2 years now and never won more than 3 games no matter the race or time spent playing. Race to 5 or race to 7 same outcome he may get 2 game because of my aggression maybe even a third if I really wanted to play "THAT" shot for shape but no, he has never once threatened me at the table and I love it. Do the same to your friend and see how good it will feel knowing that just this one time you are able to turn on your game a the drop of a dime, unless you can already do that then just beat him cause you can.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
don't let up, find a way to make it harder on yourself.

Let's say you are playing 8 ball....if you break and the stripes are the obvious choice, take solids. Rotation games, try a harder way to play shape (maybe following and coming out 2 rails when you don't need to), etc. Find things you could improve on in your game and try them in moments where you normally wouldn't. Simple as that.

You may not be playing the way you would in a tourney, or a gambling match, but you could also learn a few more shots for just those situations. :thumbup: :cool:

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly think you're trying to prove something now, hell you won't even agree 1% with the rest of the room. Instead you want to insist that "no don't pick up the kid, he'll stop crying eventually" is the way the world should be run.

I actually do believe that's the way the world should be run. Why should I agree with anyone who's opinion I think is wrong? Just to get along? A lot of new age girly men around here.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually do believe that's the way the world should be run. Why should I agree with anyone who's opinion I think is wrong? Just to get along? A lot of new age girly men around here.

Train hard or go home
If you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen
I hear you loud and clear there buddy, wouldn't want to mess with you

Attachments

• real_life_popeye_02.jpg
    real_life_popeye_02.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 105

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just challenge myself by playing more difficult shots

I remember the michael jordan bulls. Up by 20 entering the 4th quarter, some or most of the starters would sit. The 2nd string got some valuable minutes, and if they blew the lead, the well rested starters would storm back in and take over.