Do you let up against friends?

djyadj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember the michael jordan bulls. Up by 20 entering the 4th quarter, some or most of the starters would sit. The 2nd string got some valuable minutes, and if they blew the lead, the well rested starters would storm back in and take over.

I think most if not all NBA teams does that right? :)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually do believe that's the way the world should be run. Why should I agree with anyone who's opinion I think is wrong? Just to get along? A lot of new age girly men around here.

.....As if being a woman is a step down for a man. Trust me, it's not.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, pay attention to what the OP is saying... this is an ongoing competitive game between two friends. One friend is immature, the other is mature. Why should one always have to pretend to be worse than he is just because his friend refuses to grow up?

I've sat in the chair hundreds of times watching friends run hundreds on me or multiple racks of 9 ball. Never in a million years would I fool myself into thinking I was equal to them and never in a million years would I throw a temper tantrum because I lost. If I did, they'd probably laugh in my face and tell me to come back when I'd grown up.

Stop coddling this guy. Be who you are. If he doesn't applaud your talent, he isn't much of a friend.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I don't like to let up - it too easily becomes habit. Instead I offer a spot, or if my opponent won't take one I might handicap myself silently by (for instance) playing my 8-ball suit in rotation or silently "calling" the next shot (after the one I'm shooting) and then shooting it whether I get shape on it or not (against a very weak player I might call 2 shots in advance).

It's not so much for the other player's benefit - mainly I want to challenge myself so I don't slack off.

pj
chgo
I do the "rotation" thing. I like ur "call shot" idea too.

I don't even let up against my kids. You're not teaching them anything by letting them win.
This have me a laugh. But...do u at least let them shoot sometimes? Lol

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
One of my friends is an ok player. He has a few issues that need to change if he wants to get better. I suggested using a closed bridge once (he always uses an open bridge) and he got all uppity on me…

Now i destroy him every chance i get. F him.

One friend is immature, the other is mature.

Stop coddling this guy. Be who you are. If he doesn't applaud your talent, he isn't much of a friend.

I don't really think either is mature, they are simply immature in different ways.

If the OP were really mature, he'd tell his friend that he wasn't enjoying playing with him because he feels like he is having to, as Ms. Crimi states, coddle him.

I play pool to win. I am not going to practice banks, play only centerball, play difficult shots or do any other condescending things to my opponent. I will beat them. I will be nice to them and if there is a problem they want to discuss, I will listen.

As a last thought, if your friend is much of a friend, he should recognize your improvement and be happy for you.

littlewing1208

Registered
My old man taught me how to play pool and after a couple years I was pretty level with him (I'd say he is an APA 8 ball SL5). After I got on a level playing field with him, I plateaued because we play a very friendly game with each other and don't play safe or put a lot of mental thought into the games. When I joined a league and started playing with people I didn't know very well, I had no qualms playing 100% and then I started improving rather quickly. So as much as I appreciate my dad teaching me pool and playing with him for hours on end during holiday visits, I just wasn't putting myself in a situation to improve if I wasn't putting all the cards on the table.

My problem now is that when my team practices I feel like I don't get good practice in since I'm the only SL6/7 player on a team of mostly 2s and 3s so I'm constantly helping my team improve and work on their mechanics. Alas :).

TL;DR;

If your goal is to improve your game, play every match as if it were your last. If you are comfortable with your current game, then do as you please.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I let up against my friends a lot. Being social while still playing competitively is much more fun than turning into robot trying to destroy them. I know it hurts my game but the tradeoff of having a good time hanging out with my friends is worth it.

My sentiment exactly Matt
If you are playing with friends (whether they play or not) and you are a better player you will need to drop a few from time to time. Let's face it: No one likes to lose! So, if you go shooting at holes all night long, and they stay away from the table, you are going to turn around one time and not see them there.
I had this happen to some older league players and they couldn't win, so while I was shooting they left for the bar and would not come back. I play them again weeks later and I drop. They keep playing.

:smile:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
NOT a friend

I am helping someone now at their request. When we practice before matches, I always get to the 7-ball and miss. I NEVER run-out before leagues in practice. Those who know have caught on, BUT my "learning" friend thinks they are a better shooter than me because they can run 5-6 balls in 9 Ball.They don't realize I want him/her to make the last 3 balls with position to win. I figured it would make them hungry to beat a better player before a match.

So,... Now what to do ??
Last week I watched them lose their match they could have easily won. (they were up against a good player that was not playing so well) No advice was asked for; so none was given. :shrug:

Fran,
While i understand your point, I think we need to gain some perspective. The person I am helping is not a friend, they are a team-mate. The next session they could be my adversary on another team. The league is not that large, and the rosters change quite often. IF they were a friend, they would know I play better. My dropping at the 7-ball was to make them hungry, (like a shark) wanting the win..... I thought getting them in that frame of mind in practice before league matches was beneficial.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran,
While i understand your point, I think we need to gain some perspective. The person I am helping is not a friend, they are a team-mate. The next session they could be my adversary on another team. The league is not that large, and the rosters change quite often. IF they were a friend, they would know I play better. My dropping at the 7-ball was to make them hungry, (like a shark) wanting the win..... I thought getting them in that frame of mind in practice before league matches was beneficial.

Yup, I hear you and I know your intentions are good, but remember --- you are trying to manipulate them into a certain frame of mind without them knowing it. It's one thing if you have an understanding with someone about doing that, but if they have no idea, then I don't think it's right.

It sort of reminds me of neuro linguistic programming --- you might want to look into it if you're not familiar with it. Some of it is good stuff, but it starts to cross over the line when for example, groups of sales people study it for the sole purpose of manipulating someone into buying a car or some other large purchase.

Last edited: