Dramatic storyline for US Open Finals

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I read a post about a dramatic "good vs evil" finals, if Ralf Souquet were to play Karl Boyes. You would have Ralf, the consummate gentleman and well liked individual vs Karl, the mercurial and somewhat difficult personality. While that is true, there is a another "good vs evil" storyline:

China vs Taiwan, R.O.C.

If you read up on your history, Taiwan, R.O.C. was originally the controlling party of mainland China. In the years, leading up to 1949, there was a battle for control of mainland China, with the PRC party wrestling control from the KMT and the KMT fled to Taiwan to (re)establish the Republic of China.

It almost makes you wonder if George Lucas took the Star Wars storyline of the rebels vs the empire from this real life event.

So, for those that need some drama, TNT aint the only place that has it...

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night before the match there was some bickering between Taiwan's manager and China's Liu Hai Tao. After some consternation, the set commenced.

Four racks in, China's manager forced the referee to stop the match, take down Hsu Kai Lun's name card and rip the Taiwanese flag off of it.

Liu played a strong match and China went on to win it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Last night before the match there was some bickering between Taiwan's manager and China's Liu Hai Tao. After some consternation, the set commenced.

Four racks in, China's manager forced the referee to stop the match, take down Hsu Kai Lun's name card and rip the Taiwanese flag off of it.

The Chinese manager forced the referee to take the Taiwanese flag off the Taiwanese player's name card?

BTW it's not good vs. evil. While the communist party in China indeed ended up doing a lot of evil things the KMT was incredibly corrupt and oppressive as well. In fact Taiwanese government deals between politicians and the private sector are considered to be some of the most corrupt in the world. If anything, seen as a clash between political methods it's evil vs evil.

But these are just pool players and they don't represent everything about their respective countries. They just happen to be citizens of whatever country they happened to have been born in.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chinese manager forced the referee to take the Taiwanese flag off the Taiwanese player's name card?

Exactly.

They should let these guys play pool. There's no need for political antics at this time.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Exactly.

They should let these guys play pool. There's no need for political antics at this time.

No doubt. There is definitely no love lost between the People's Republic of China and Taiwan, the Republic of China.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read a post about a dramatic "good vs evil" finals, if Ralf Souquet were to play Karl Boyes. You would have Ralf, the consummate gentleman and well liked individual vs Karl, the mercurial and somewhat difficult personality. While that is true, there is a another "good vs evil" storyline:

China vs Taiwan, R.O.C.

If you read up on your history, Taiwan, R.O.C. was originally the controlling party of mainland China. In the years, leading up to 1949, there was a battle for control of mainland China, with the PRC party wrestling control from the KMT and the KMT fled to Taiwan to (re)establish the Republic of China.

It almost makes you wonder if George Lucas took the Star Wars storyline of the rebels vs the empire from this real life event.

So, for those that need some drama, TNT aint the only place that has it...

That is an interesting history between the two countries.

Who do you like, Eric?

I'm pulling for Kenny. :cool:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member

I think it's because the players (in all sports) from Taiwan are supposed to play not with the actual Taiwanese flag but rather the agreed upon flag and designation of Chinese Taipei. It stems from the agreement between the two Chinas where the ROC needed to have a politically ambiguous name so as not to lessen the 'face' of the PRC. Or something like that.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
That is an interesting history between the two countries.

Who do you like, Eric?

I'm pulling for Kenny. :cool:

Eh, im just a spectator hoping for a good match.

Eric >has no bets down, lol

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess Liu's Party handler put things right :rolleyes:

I'm glad Taiwan, a vibrant democracy and steadfast ally to the United States, went on to win the whole thing. I bet no one at the tournament had any idea the context of the disagreement.