Schon R13

cowboy395

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just acquired a Schon R13. It is ebony with red veneers and I am going to have it completely refinished. I would like some opinions on what color linen wrap to go back with.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
problem with white linen shows all dirt. i would go with a darker wrap with specks!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
all black or black w/red specks might look real nice.

congrats on the acquisition. :thumbup:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only wrap colors I really like are:

white/green
white/black
all black

black white can be okay but tends to make cues look cheap only because it's the standard wrap on every cheap cue. black and some other color on rare occasions looks cool to me but often doesn't.

I think all black is a really clean look that I'm surprised we don't see more often.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what black w/white spec will look like.......this is my R13 and it is for sale.....

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 412

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only wrap colors I really like are:

white/green
white/black
all black

black white can be okay but tends to make cues look cheap only because it's the standard wrap on every cheap cue. black and some other color on rare occasions looks cool to me but often doesn't.

I think all black is a really clean look that I'm surprised we don't see more often.

You know, you tried this once before - Black with White speck does NOT make a cue look cheap.

No one appointed you Emperor in charge of linen colors.

There is a reason why buyers of cues choose Black with White more than all other colors combined

Dale(who just happens to like White with Black even better)

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, you tried this once before - Black with White speck does NOT make a cue look cheap.

No one appointed you Emperor in charge of linen colors.

There is a reason why buyers of cues choose Black with White more than all other colors combined

Dale(who just happens to like White with Black even better)

Well, that is your opinion and I have mine. I also said tends to, not always. I might be picking up a cue that has a black/white wrap. Wouldn't be my first choice but I at least find it unobjectionable in this case.

I wasn't trying to speak for the world...just providing an opinion since that is what was asked for. Calm down, as long as you like the wrap you have on your cue that is all that matters and you don't have to care one bit what I think.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
White with double black specks, black with red, or solid black........jmo

(The black with red looks really nice in a cue like that. I've done that very thing before....long ago, so no pics of it.)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a Tough Choice Since Cortland #9 Doesn't Fit the Design.

Black with white speck by Hurlbert (Atlas Billiard Supplies) is what I have in mind for your cue.......this pic is from Atlas's website.
The black with white speck (below) seems like a better fit vs.the black/white speck wrap in post #6 which I think would be too dark.

Matt B.

Attachments

• hurlbert linen.jpg
    hurlbert linen.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that is your opinion and I have mine. I also said tends to, not always. I might be picking up a cue that has a black/white wrap. Wouldn't be my first choice but I at least find it unobjectionable in this case.

I wasn't trying to speak for the world...just providing an opinion since that is what was asked for. Calm down, as long as you like the wrap you have on your cue that is all that matters and you don't have to care one bit what I think.

You've changed your tune quite a bit since the first time you knocked black w/ white.
but I'M sure it had nothing at all to do with all the experienced cue workers who pounded on your head:)

Dale(who also thinks leather would be swell)

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member
wraps

My R13 with red veneer has boars hide leather. Probably my favorite wrap to play with.
The R13 with blonde veneers has original 1980's black/white speck linen and still looks great.
The R12 has original 1980's white/black speck linen and you can see how it has discolored over the years.

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've changed your tune quite a bit since the first time you knocked black w/ white.
but I'M sure it had nothing at all to do with all the experienced cue workers who pounded on your head:)

Dale(who also thinks leather would be swell)

I don't even remember the other discussion you're talking about, though I don't doubt that I've expressed my opinion on the subject in the past. Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else though? Quick search shows a few other people have expressed this opinion more vociferously than I in the past and each time you've popped up tilting at this windmill in each of those threads it seems. Can't find one where I contributed much on the matter though.

Honestly, other people's view over what wraps look good or not has no effect on my own view. I like white/green wraps best...you can say you think white/green looks like crap...that's okay, not going to bother me one bit. Not sure why you care so much what opinion I, or others, hold on linen wraps but you sure seem to be bothered by it.

onefastmfn71 - I really think that aged white wrap looks fantastic, maybe that is why I like them, they do tend to show their age after a while but in a way I find aesthetically pleasing, sort of like a nice patina.

Someone mentioned white w/ double black spec, I personally think that would look the best on this particular cue.

Smooth leather always looks classy too if you like the feel, it isn't for me as I'm a big linen fan, but it's a great look.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like white with green speck, then go Cortland Linen #9........Cortland is the best pool cue linen wrap ever made.....it was the only hand woven linen fishing line unlike all the others that are machine twisted.......I need CL#12 but it's not available so I settle for Cortland #9 and the availability of #9 is diminishing day by day......soon there won't be any.......my recent custom cue orders specified Cortland Linen #9 as the wrap......Go with Cortland instead of linen & screw the color match.......JMO.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Cortland Linen.jpg
    Cortland Linen.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Cortland Linen (#9).jpg
    Cortland Linen (#9).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited: