U.S. Open 14.1 Title to Live Again

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interestingly, I just googled it and no, the correct usage here is the plural. Nice question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship

Nah. The fact that some events use the plural does not, to me, make it "the correct usage here." Your Wiki citation mentions Wimbledon. There, using the plural makes sense, because it is actually many events being played under the umbrella term "Wimbledon Championships" -- the 5 main events for Gentlemen and Ladies plus a bunch of junior and invitational events.

If the upcoming U.S. Open straight pool event had separate divisions for men and women, then I think the plural usage would be appropriate. That's the way the old "BCA U.S. Open Championships" were structured. But I have not heard of any separate division for women in the 2016 event. Any human is eligible to play, but only one title will be awarded -- just like in golf, with their "U.S. Open Championship" (even though the USGA also holds other championships).

When Mark Griffin announced this event back in December, he used the singular: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5377007&postcount=68

aj6788

Hopefully this answers some questions :)

Attachments

• Straight Pool Qualifier.jpg
    Straight Pool Qualifier.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 263

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah. The fact that some events use the plural does not, to me, make it "the correct usage here." Your Wiki citation mentions Wimbledon. There, using the plural makes sense, because it is actually many events being played under the umbrella term "Wimbledon Championships" -- the 5 main events for Gentlemen and Ladies plus a bunch of junior and invitational events.

If the upcoming U.S. Open straight pool event had separate divisions for men and women, then I think the plural usage would be appropriate. That's the way the old "BCA U.S. Open Championships" were structured. But I have not heard of any separate division for women in the 2016 event. Any human is eligible to play, but only one title will be awarded -- just like in golf, with their "U.S. Open Championship" (even though the USGA also holds other championships).

When Mark Griffin announced this event back in December, he used the singular: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5377007&postcount=68

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/championship

I think Mark is great but honestly, he wouldn't be my first choice for grammar rules. I'm going to rely on Wikipedia and dictionary.com as a hair more reliable than Mr. Griffin and I hope he doesn't take offense.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/championship

I think Mark is great but honestly, he wouldn't be my first choice for grammar rules. I'm going to rely on Wikipedia and dictionary.com as a hair more reliable than Mr. Griffin and I hope he doesn't take offense.

The citations you have given seem to make the plural form an allowable one, as is the singular form. In the case at hand, and for the reasons I have given, I think the singular would be better. But I think we have abused this thread enough with grammar stuff.

Last edited:

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is going to be a qualifier and the Sandcastle. Edison New Jersey.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
More info to come soon. Sorry taking so long - a lot of interruptions with people traveling and all that stuff.

The name is 'Championship' because that is what the Trademark says.

Just so everyone knows, the US Open One Pocket will be the held in the same place from April 18-21. The US Open Straight Pool Championship will be from April 21 through 24th.

There will be a list of qualifiers posted next day or two.

The SBE ends on April 17th. (Pro 10-ball and Pro One Pocket)

So there will be 4 good events back to back and relatively close.

Mark Griffin

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Only in pool would people argue / comment on the usage of pluralities in regards to a major tournament.

Unreal...

JV (---this is why I am trading in my chalk for guitar picks...

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
Free advice from a nobody. Don't use unreasonably tight pockets. People like to see high runs.

The games are only to 100, tight pockets would seem to be required to avoid a lot of games with 100 and out.

Thank you kindly.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pocket size at US OPEN. STRAIGHT POOL

FYI

The tables for both the US OPEN ONE POCKET and the US OPEN STRAIGHT POOL CHAMPIONSHIP will be Gold Crown I and II with 2 Brunswick Anniversary table available.

The pockets will be a bit generous - especially if compared to Duamond tables. I'm thinking they are in the 4-3/4" or a touch more. I would expect to see some aggressive play because of this. Simonis 860 (green) with the possible exception of the streaming table - which might be in tournament blue. This would be for clarity issues for the streaming.

Markg

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2016 US Open One Pocket ++++ Straight Pool Championship

Here is some more info on the upcoming events:

Posters, qualifiers, prize breakdown and all other pertinent info should be posted by next week.

The 2016 US Open One Pocket will be held at Pool Table Magic (75 Ella Grasso Turnpike) Windsor Locks, CT.

Dates: April 18-21, 2016
limited to 48 players
$5,000 first place (based on full field)
$5,000 added (based on full field)
Entry $350 (including all registration and green fees)
Double Elimination (4 on winners/3 on losers--Final race to 5)
Qualifiers to be announced: contact the host room: Mark Kulungian (markptm@aol.com or call 860-627-8494) - provide a phone number and some pertinent info. This is for both events.

Much more info coming soon.

SBE ends on 17th and has a Pro 10-ball and Pro One Pocket. This event starts on the 18th.

The US Open Straight Pool Championship starts on the 20th (in the same location) - so lots of pool with very little traveling.
Players (mandatory) meeting at 6 PM - Matches a 7 & 9 PM
Limited to 48 players.
The first invite list will be going out next week.
$10,000 added & $10,000 first place (based on full field)
$600 entry (including green fees and registration)
All players will play a minimum of 5 matches.
Round robin stage is 100 points. Single elimination goes to 150 - finals to 200 points
Streaming will be provided by CSI.
2nd chance event for eliminated players. (Top 3 get $600 each.)

There are several qualifiers already planned and more coming - I will post them in the next 2 days. If interested in having a qualifier, please contact the host room: Mark Kulungian (markptm@aol.com or call 860-627-8494) - provide a phone number and some pertinent info. This is for both events.

Qualifiers: ($105 entry - race to 100 Double Elimination)
2/13/16 TJ's Classic Billiards - Waterville, ME
2/20/16 Red Shoes - Chicago
3/5/16 Easy Street Billiards - Danny Barouty -Monterey, CA
3/20/16 SandCastle Billiards - Ed Liddawl - Edison, NJ
Several more in discussion. Contact Mark Kulungian (860-627-8494 or markptm@aol.com with questions on qualifiers (for both events)..

5 minutes from Bradley International Airport. Many affordable hotels in the immediate area. 240 miles from SBE/120 miles from Empire State Building.

PPV streaming from CSI

Presented by CSI and hosted by Mark Kulungian and Pool Table Magic.

The equipment will be 12@ Gold Crown I and II + 2 Brunswick Anniversary tables

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2016 US Open Straight Pool info

Go to Post #22 in this thread.
It is TJ's Billiards poster for their qualifier to be held on Feb 13th (yesterday).
I would put up the picture but my skills are limited.

Mark Griffin

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Hotels

La Quinta: 860-623-3336

Quality Inn: 860-62-3944

Fairfield Inn: 860-627-8333

Double Tree Inn: 860-627-5171

Motel 6: 860-292-6200

There is also a Hampton Inn, and a Ramada Inn within 3/4 mile

More info upcoming....

Just an FYI... I prefer the Hampton or LaQuinta.. Motel 6 is the cheapest (for a reason)...

JV

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Go to Post #22 in this thread.
It is TJ's Billiards poster for their qualifier to be held on Feb 13th (yesterday).
I would put up the picture but my skills are limited.

Mark Griffin

HEY MARK,

What is the rest of the schedule for qualifiers.

i got confirmation on 2 for california and 1 in chicago.

can we have an official callender so we can mark our calanders.

thanks
-Steve

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
US Open Straight Pool and US Open Championships

The invitation letters (to both events) have all gone out. If you received one, please follow the directions. The entry (w/deposit) must be received by March 15th.

After March 15th, all remaining spots will be available. PLEASE try and sign up early so there are no disappointments!

If there are any questions, contact our office at 702-719-7665. As the players commit, the website will reflect those that are in the events.

If you 'think' you were going to get an invitation, you can text me to see if your name was on the invited list. The list is made up of past winners and known players.

Here is a link to the webpages: http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-straight-pool.html and http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-one-pocket.html

Here is the host room - Pool Table Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXipjRzntCU

Mark Griffin

Last edited: