Burn spots on pool balls?

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Yeah, I had to say "pool balls", because we're all 12 years old inside. I figure if I didn't, someone would tell me not to fall asleep with a cigar in my lap.

So I was surprised with a set of Aramith Tournaments today, part of a 1-2 punch that will be completed with new 860HR cloth next week.

Playing on Championship 30/30 (10-12 years old) until then.

The balls looked perfect. Shot one rack. There is a pinhead sized mark on my 2 ball now. I had seen similar marks on my old set of Super Aramith Pros, but suspected I might have polished them incorrectly or some such. Now I think they were burn spots. I ran a search and almost everything pertaining to burn spots deals with the cloth.

Are such spots on the balls inevitable? Should I wait until the new cloth comes? I just want to keep my balls looking great. (Yeah, I know.) I wouldn't have thought the Duramiths would have lasted exactly one shot (on this particular ball) before looking imperfect.

Thanks.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Can you post a picture?

I wish I could, but it isn't showing up well enough to do any good. It's also faded a bit by my attempts to polish it out.

Sorta wish I could kill the thread now. I guess the reason no one posts about it is because it doesn't really happen, or isn't permanent.

Appreciate the response.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you breaking with a phenolic tip? No leather tip should mark the finish, but phenolic will...and punch semicircles into the finish.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you breaking with a phenolic tip? No leather tip should mark the finish, but phenolic will...and punch semicircles into the finish.

What org uses the 2 ball to break with? Brian.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a Jim Rempe Cue Ball for Break Shot Practice. Over time it did wear a flat spot on it, because I oriented the Cue Ball, so I could use the ball for feedback.

The spot grew to 1/8 inch in diameter. Finally, it was disposed of....

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be very surprising to me if you (or I...or Dick) had anything happen to our balls that had not happened to somebody else's balls before.

That said, I have never had your balls in my hands and you have, so I will admit that you are the most knowledgeable individual, re: your balls.

That that said...those balls have been around a long time, as has the cloth. Therefore, your experiences with your balls have virtually 100% probability that others' balls have experienced everything your balls have...just by the law of large #s.

I wonder what it feels like, when you rub your balls with your fingers? Could what you contend are burn marks actually be scars from impacts with a sharp surface of the table? Ex. Incorrect pocket mounding or bare metal in the ball return/ ball box?

Watch those cigars too.

1billiardking

Registered
If it's just the two ball, it could possibly be a defect. If you do not see pin marks on the other balls, that may be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
If it's just the two ball, it could possibly be a defect. If you do not see pin marks on the other balls, that may be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 2 was hit with some speed, and it skidded a bit on its short ride to the pocket. The little mark was clear when I pulled the balls off the table. It looked kind of like a water spot on a freshly washed car...very small and lighter in color than the surrounding paint.

Anyway, I went back to have a look a few minutes later, and could still see it.

I posted this thread, then saw the request for a photo. The mark had, via handling or maybe rubbing against the box/cradle, become so faint that it wouldn't photograph well, despite not coming off when I tried to give it a quick polish earlier. Now I can't see where it was at all, and having played a few racks, I'm not seeing anything that would indicate that the balls are defective or inauthentic (my primary concern, although not framed like this above), and any concern with a fast cloth marring the finish is gone.

As an aside, I've heard a lot about the black spot Tournament cue ball being sub-par against the measles ball. So far, the black spot ball has been fine. I'm nowhere near pro caliber, though, so maybe I just lack the feel.