Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Did you acquire those gold and silvers as set, Rubik's?

Perhaps you can point me in the direction of a 2 1/4" silver 8 ball

Good afternoon, K2K. :)

I didn't actually acquire them as a set, I won them one at a time from my local pool league. They award them in lieu of trophies, a clever and very popular policy.

Coincidentally, less then thirty-minutes ago, I ordered a 2 1/4 inch golden 8 ball from Ebay. I had always assumed that the larger silver 8 balls were quite commonplace in America. Is that not the case, sir? I will, of course, endeavour to source one for you this side of the pond if they're available.

Kind regards,
RC.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Damn, you're right, K2K.

All the silver 8 balls appear to be two-inchers. How bizarre! They're not even listed on the official Aramith website and all the examples I can find on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk are of the smaller variety. That's another elusive target to add to our treasure hunting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sticks and Chicks

The Foggy Hole

Miscues and Mischief

Balls On The Wall (for that iconic pub displaying over 100 sets of balls along an entire wall )

The Dirty Shaft (for that pub table only league hangout with undoubtedly chalky and dirty shafts)

The Double D (drinks and diamonds - as in Diamond pool tables :) ok that one was kind of weak.

The Last Pocket

That's all I have on this one Gr Carml Macchiato as the label reads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Alas, no joy locating a 2 1/4 inch silver 8 ball. :(

I'm coming to the conclusion that no such beast exists, I've scoured ebay.com, ebay.co'uk, ebay.nl and alibaba, all to no avail. It seems bizarre to me that Aramith market the gold and silver two-inchers over here, yet only the gold ball is available in the US.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Aramith's ten-red snooker set. Full-sized balls (2 1/16th inch) but designed for use on a three-quarter-sized table.

Whilst on the subject, many folks don't realise that, technically, there is no such thing as a snooker table. The game of snooker is just one of many disciplines played on an English billiards table. A playing surface, moreover, which is not 12 feet by 6 feet as so often erroneously described. It is 12 feet by 6 feet 1 and 1/2 inches.

And here endeth today's lesson from a billiard pedant. :)

23gz500.jpg

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can hardly get past the notion that it has been approximately - no, dare I say nearly....no, most likely "damned sure" been 30 years since I've even SEEN anyone use the word "pedant" let alone used so perfectly, er, expertly as you just have Rubik's.

I remain constantly amazed at human ingenuity and capability.

I can't think of anything else to say.

Pedant.

How apropos to the mania some share over small, perfectly round balls.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alas, no joy locating a 2 1/4 inch silver 8 ball. :(

I'm coming to the conclusion that no such beast exists, I've scoured ebay.com, ebay.co'uk, ebay.nl and alibaba, all to no avail. It seems bizarre to me that Aramith market the gold and silver two-inchers over here, yet only the gold ball is available in the US.

Time for me to pick up the www or the phone box, wouldn't you say Rubik's?

Hello, Saluc...may I please have the department tasked with billiard ball production?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the adventurer in you --- I put together a similar game to Scratchball (that never really caught on) that I created to help with carom shots. Let's call it Karom for now. 15 solid ARAMITH replacement cue balls and one solid BLUE. Rack as the first picture below. Simple rules without elaborating: after the break, any white becomes the cue ball that must be caromed off of the blue with the objective to pocket that white cue ball you have chosen.

Only score missed shots per full rack to get an idea of how well your carom game is progressing. Just one way to play these :)

Amazing how quickly you begin to see carom angles that you thought you knew but only see or attempt once per 500 shots MAYBE.

Just another excuse to put together a unique and dedicated ball set for a specific purpose. The excuses become endless :)

80d1511bda74ea3c870ba19a417acbb1.jpg

b53f9b481f9fe88fa886a1e430c719cc.jpg

K

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello again, ball fans and collectors.

How about a unique ball set designed exclusively for developing a skill all of us pocket billiard players literally work a lifetime on trying to master: cue ball positioning. Accurately. Especially for those times when the cue ball MUST break out or nudge a specific ball for a specific reason for your run to continue or allow you the run out. THAT cue ball positioning skill.

It's an avant-garde pocket billiard SCORING game that can be played SOLO as well as in MATCH PLAY. Keep scores like you would in say the solo scoring game BOWLLIARDS (or Bowling if you will) and average your scores over time to see how your "handicap" and overall game skills are progressing in this one game or drill.

Perhaps I just needed yet (another) excuse to assemble (another) unique ball set :)

But I digress --------- I didn't mean to take away from the star of the show: the BALLS. Without further adieu, here is an ARAMITH set that will look familiar and similar to the set I posted previously using all whites and one blue. There is no other similarity for the true purpose of this set however, since the game it was specifically put together for differs in every possible way.......

9edfd0d989785d99968bbbceae4f0a16.jpg

Play on.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, everyone.

I love your Karom game, K2K, and think that layout of the blue amongst the cueballs looks really smart. Mind you, the fact it floats my boat is hardly surprising as the fifteen-white carom concept is virtually identical to an idea I've been working on myself... about the only difference is I'm using a red instead of a blue!

How do you like that, what are the chances? Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good evening, everyone.

I love your Karom game, K2K, and think that layout of the blue amongst the cueballs looks really smart. Mind you, the fact it floats my boat is hardly surprising as the fifteen-white carom concept is virtually identical to an idea I've been working on myself... about the only difference is I'm using a red instead of a blue!

How do you like that, what are the chances? Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

6e1b001c30936d61c8ac7b1574b2604c.jpg

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In honor of the men and women that have died in the military services of the United States of America this weekend and especially on Memorial Day, I will be playing my practice games with this offering from Vigma - the Army ball set.

What initially drew my attention to this set was that my father had served in the US Army and it was a way for me to really enjoy playing many of the games he and I shared while growing up. So every chance I get to use the Vigma "Army's" like this Memorial Day weekend holiday - or my father's birthday - or Veteran's Day to name a few celebratory days, I will have these polished and presented for whatever games I am playing. Thanks, Dad.

Hope you all have a glorious and safe Memorial Day weekend and be blessed with great rolls on the table.

ae874d5d806959965e573506839b545a.jpg

Carry on!

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, Carter 1984. :)

Many thanks indeed for contributing to the thread and sharing your heartwarming story. There can't be too many companies who can lay claim to customers on seven continents! And such talented ones, too!

I have a question, please: Whilst browsing your website, I noticed that you have a few single Sterling Criss Cross balls listed for sale. Do you have a full set available? If you do, please reserve it for a few days as I have a good friend who is very keen to purchase them.

Many thanks again and best wishes,

RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would anyone happen to recognize this game and take a guess - based on the "custom set" of balls I put together just for this particular game? It has an interesting scoring element, and was submitted for a patent quite some time ago that never took off mostly due to exposure and lack of social media "back in the day" - I am guessing.

The numbered balls are the key. The solid reds are just the best color (I think) to represent "the unnumbered" balls in this set. Although, if you have them available, solid blacks, greens or blues play well and offer amazing contrast to the numbered balls - depending on your baize color of course.

b6e63afcf6801406fd8daf9cdfbc59c9.jpg

K.

Last edited: