What's ths benefit of owning a cue stick vs using the ones at the bar

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get a Players or J&J Sneaky...better yet, drop the extra $30 and go to Schmelkecue.com and get a nice Rosewood Sneaky with a 3/8x10 Joint Pin. Nice quality USA made player.

You will not be disappointed:groucho:

-Kat,

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
im really sorry i sounded so stupid im to exited about learning more i let myself go

You are brand new to the game of pool. You aren't supposed to know the answers to the questions you asked yet. You aren't supposed to be familiar with this forum and its peculiarities yet. You didn't do anything wrong. The way you learn is by asking questions just the same as most of us did while learning. It seems that some of us have forgotten that every single one of us was brand new to the game and knew absolutely nothing at one point. The only people out of line here IMO are the ones giving you a hard time for asking what are very legitimate questions from someone who is brand new to the game. Don't get discouraged, there are plenty who are willing to help and will offer advice. Welcome to the game of pool, and welcome to AzBilliards. You can learn a lot here.

To answer your question, yes, there is benefit to owning your own cue. All cues play a little different. The hit feels different, the shaft diameters and taper are different, the weight and balance are different, the tips are different, and many other things. Part of the benefit of owning your own cue is that you will always have the same weight, taper, balance, diameter, hit/feel, same shaft flexibility, and you can make sure you always keep a good tip on it, etc. Another benefit is that once you start to learn your preferences for all of these things, which will take some time (and may also change several times as your skill and experience increases), you can get a cue that fits your preferences for hit, taper, shaft flexibility, balance, weight, etc, etc. When you have a cue that is the same every time you play, and especially if you really like it and it suits your preferences, it can add consistency to your game and it also adds confidence because you are familiar with it like an old friend.

As far as what specific cue to get, for your first one just barely starting out I would keep it cheap, under $150 for sure, and you can even get some relatively decent ones for under $70. There is no need to spend more yet as you haven't yet developed the skill and experience and preferences to be able to appreciate any benefit from anything more expensive. I don't really know what all is out there in the entry level cue market but as others have pointed out Players and J&J are decent entry level cue brands that I am familiar with. There are others that are decent for entry level as well that I am forgetting about or am just not familiar with. Do NOT consider anything with a screw on or a slip on tip. That will be a waste of money. If you find some specific cues you are considering purchasing post some links to them and we can give you some idea if they are decent quality for the price for an entry level cue.

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you gusy think of Player's cues, model g2252 or hxt15?

Thansk for your help I dearly appreciate

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I`d take the hxt15 over the g2252.

The HXT has slight low deflection characteristics. Maybe not even enough to really mention it, but it should come with a kamui soft tip, which is pretty much the best stock tip that any mass production cue has to offer.

I`m personally a really big fan of poison cues (exclusively the metal jointed ones).

My first cue was a 70$ (CAD) dufferin cue with a solid maple shaft and an Everest tip, and it was perfectly fine.

As for the sneaky petes, I owned a player`s sneaky pete, and it hit kinda meh. It was okay, but I really was just attracted to the idea of a sneaky pete. The actual cue wasn`t so great. Also I ended up selling both my sneaky pete player and jumper, because I constantly had to chase people down and convince them that that was MY bar cue, and that for some reason I needed two of them.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Buy yourself a cue and case that you can comfortably afford. Most pool rooms have a good selection of lower priced Asian cues of decent quality. Pick one out that looks good to you.
Now. Here's the best part. Learn to play One Pocket. Twenty years from now you'll thank me, and Grady, for the advice.
Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. Write if you get work. :smile:

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be joking. There is no possible way that you could be serious. Here is another one of my stupid questions, but I am curious how often you find a pool hall that offers decent quality (straight) house cues, that have a nice long taper (like the old Valley Supreme house cues for example)? Most pool halls just offer junk house cues (that they never care to get repaired, and were never any good anyways, like big fat butts with very short horrible tapers for example, but a non pool player would not care about that anyways, I understand).

I have come across some great playing house cues. I try to put them aside with the owners, but you know they eventually get put back out. I know its a bit of an urban legend, but there are some out there. They exist! LOL. I've seen some that are purposefully marked. Sometimes others have burned them slightly with cigarettes marks. And If I see that on some, I tend to use them. It means someone else thought about marking it and playing with it again. All a gamble though.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you have the experience to make a boastful statement like this? I think not. I have visited and played in hundreds of pool halls, all over the country, and your statement doesn't come close to holding water. There are far more room owners who give a crap about their house cues, than ones that don't. Please stop making outlandish statements Justin, when you lack the experience to back it up. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Most pool halls just offer junk house cues (that they never care to get repaired, and were never any good anyways, like big fat butts with very short horrible tapers for example, but a non pool player would not care about that anyways, I understand).

daxe

custom cues & repair
Silver Member
If it were not for bar cues most of us would have never took up the game we all love. I have to agree with Scott Lee there are more good than bad. If the room owner is a pool player most will have good house cues. DAN AXE

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be joking. There is no possible way that you could be serious. Here is another one of my stupid questions, but I am curious how often you find a pool hall that offers decent quality (straight) house cues, that have a nice long taper (like the old Valley Supreme house cues for example)? Most pool halls just offer junk house cues (that they never care to get repaired, and were never any good anyways, like big fat butts with very short horrible tapers for example, but a non pool player would not care about that anyways, I understand).

I've owned or played with everything under the sun. I have about a dozen cues right now, including a Southwest that people drool over... I play with house cues 99% of the time and I dream of old Hi-Run Dufferins.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started playing i see lots of players have their own stick, and they're really good, while I'm still trying to learn to control the cue ball, will having my own cue stick help my game?

For me: consistency.
That being said I LOVE hitting with a house cue.
Some really good cues worth a lot of money simply don't hit as good as a good house cue.
But having a consistent feedback day after day can greatly help you in your game.
Plus you don't have to walk all over the place finding a straight cue that's also in the weight range that you like and has a tip that's still leather-like....as opposed to glass.

PocketPooler

Silver Member

Thats a great choice for a learning player. Really any cue with a good tip will make you more consistant. You are going to ding it up so don't waste lots of money on a real fancy one

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome Aboard

Hopefully you'll learn to love this game no matter how good you get or what cue you shoot with.

Simple answer, which almost everyone agrees with: YES, getting your own cue is the better way to go.

But, I also agree with Scott; a lot of halls have very decent cues; in fact, years ago I played in a place in Queens, the Golden Que on Queens Blvd. quite often and found a house cue I really liked; I stashed it under the table, on the opposite side of the bridge hooks in the back and would slyly retrieve it. It shot well, then one day it was gone. So I got my own cue, an old Rich cue when they were still made locally in long island. That was several decades and many cues ago.

Good luck to you

Dave

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recently got this cue in 21 oz...it is.......one word......AWESOME.
I'm going to get more of them. One in 19 as well.

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Between the 2, I would get the HXT15. BUT, for $90 to $120 you could get a Schmelke Cue. Made in Wisconsin and I believe a better cue. Choose all your options if you want, I would prob do a tip change at least unless you like a supersoft one piece Elkmaster.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Of your two choices, I would recommend the HXT15. It has a Kamui tip, which is a better tip than a LePro. Also, the HXT15 has a low deflection ferrule, which should make it easier for you to learn the game.

Good luck.

BTW, where are you located?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I've did some research after i replied to you, i read about the sneaky pete, its not as flashy as the others, it can easily pass as a house cue if you dont pay attention, i learned about the difference between soft tip and a hard tip, the snoker cues and break/jump cues, im really sorry i sounded so stupid im to exited about learning more i let myself go

Hey, it's all good. Like on any internet board, there are a variety of personalities here. I would suggest not going too expensive with your first cue. Therefore, the Schmelke advice was good advice. As you progress in your game, you'll gain more understanding of what your tastes in cures are. Schmelke is a good "bang for the buck" cue.