Results of the 2016 World 14.1

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Mika and Earl where in the final match.

Does anybody known where I can find the finishing placement and money awards of the tournament?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It has now been two weeks since the event ended, and the prizes still have not been posted in the AzB database, which may just mean they do not have the information..

Do any of the AzB members know the prizes? Perhaps you were at the event and saw them posted?

I heard mention of $4,000 for 2nd, but I don't know that as fact.

Darren Appleton, on Am. Billiard Radio, said he won $1,350 for 5th place (5th-8th).

Let's see if we can create the list ourselves. Or maybe koreandragon would let us know.

1st -- ?
2nd -- ?
3rd/4th -- ?
5th/8th -- $1,350
9th/16th -- ?
17th/24th -- ?
25th/48th -- $0

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
It has now been two weeks since the event ended, and the prizes still have not been posted in the AzB database, which may just mean they do not have the information..

Do any of the AzB members know the prizes? Perhaps you were at the event and saw them posted?

I heard mention of $4,000 for 2nd, but I don't know that as fact.

Darren Appleton, on Am. Billiard Radio, said he won $1,350 for 5th place (5th-8th).

Let's see if we can create the list ourselves. Or maybe koreandragon would let us know.

1st -- $10,000.00
2nd -- $4,000.00
3rd/4th -- $2,500.00
5th/8th -- $1,350
9th/16th -- $900.00
17th/24th -- $300.00
25th/48th -- $0

You do the math. $580 entry fee for 48 players.
They got more entry money on the ones who qualified cuz the room had to throw in something extra.

sponsors, 141 club, spectators, live stream.

Not much "added"

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1st -- $10,000.00
2nd -- $4,000.00
3rd/4th -- $2,500.00
5th/8th -- $1,350
9th/16th -- $900.00
17th/24th -- $300.00
25th/48th -- $0

You do the math. $580 entry fee for 48 players.
They got more entry money on the ones who qualified cuz the room had to throw in something extra.

sponsors, 141 club, spectators, live stream.

Not much "added"

Thanks, Dennis. So that adds up to $34,000, the smallest prize fund in the 11 years of the event. The number of players was down from 56 in 2015 to 48 in 2016, but it was 48 in several other years as well. Here's info I have posted in the past, updated for 2016:

With one mystery, here, if I added correctly, are the purses for the World 14.1 for the 11 years of its existence (from the AzB tournament records for the first 10 years, and from Dennis Walsh for 2016):

2016 -- $34,000
2015 -- $37,000
2014 -- $54,000
2013 -- $54,000
2012 -- $52,000 or $44,000?
2011 -- $70,200
2010 -- $45,700
2009 -- $39,800
2008 -- $57,600
2007 -- $52,600
2006 -- $52,000

The mystery is for 2012, the year John Schmidt won. Under the records for each of the players finishing in the top 24 that year, there are two different entries for this event (with slightly different names for the event), with two different lists of the payouts -- one paying 32 places and totaling $52,000, and the other paying 24 places and totaling $44,000.

I have not tried to find entry fees and, therefore, money added for each of these events.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In addition there was an ad hoc high run prize funded by spectators that was $1100 IIRC. Earl had the high run with a 135 on the tighter TV table.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In addition there was an ad hoc high run prize funded by spectators that was $1100 IIRC. Earl had the high run with a 135 on the tighter TV table.

Thanks, Bob. I think they had similar high-run prizes in past years, but I do not know the details of those.

That Rasson table yielded just three 100-ball runs. The other two were in the very next streamed match. Lo Li-Wen ran 107, but then played safe when he had no shot after making a break shot. A few innings later, with the score 178-49, Hohmann embarked on what looked like it might become one of his long ones, but it ended with a miss at 101. Lo then ran the last 22 for the 200-150 win.

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
Thanks for posting up the prize money results.
It was posted at the event as well.

The money added and sponsorship support has decreased over the years, which is not a surprise as that has been the case across the board with pool events especially in North America on top of several cancelled events.

And to promote it in a way deserving, we do not have the luxury of being part time leisure promoters. Marketing on the event was daily and constant, as in all Dragon Promotions productions.Especially with a round robin format that doesnt have the option to have less than a full field. So we do greatly appreciate the players who attend and the hard working staff that works on and behind the scenes to make the World 14.1 look easy and seamless.

For an event that takes 6-8 months to prepare, organize, and promote with a professional staff and company behind it with very little industry support, it still reached over 1 million pool fans and it is by far the best organized, promoted and marketed 14.1 event existing as well as one of the best pool events period.
At the same time, it is the least profitable from a business standpoint for Dragon Promotions. So we do appreciate the support and attention it garners (good or bad!). Thank you everyone for caring one way or another :)

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Well, a week has passed, and no response.

Reached over a million pool fans, eh?

In all fairness, I doubt that anyone from Dragon has seen your question. They do not live on this forum. I don't think you can interpret the silence any other way.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In all fairness, I doubt that anyone from Dragon has seen your question. They do not live on this forum. I don't think you can interpret the silence any other way.

Yes, that is quite possible. What do you think she meant by "reached over 1 million pool fans"? Was the live stream being fed for free to Asia, or Europe, or somewhere else?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Yes, that is quite possible. What do you think she meant by "reached over 1 million pool fans"? Was the live stream being fed for free to Asia, or Europe, or somewhere else?

When they said 'it" reached over 1 millions pool fans, I assumed they just meant news of the event, not the live stream. I did not hear that it was being streamed free anywhere and doubt that it was.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Dragon has to learn how to monetize the viewers that access 14.1 material.

It is a race by all promoters to learn how convert viewership into revenue.

Merchandising is very traditional, but is way too much work.

Limited Edition Offers of Personalized 14.1 Merchandise might be more manageable.

Have faith in the fans, try some ideas that are manageable and not overwhelming.

A limited approach is when you think marginal gains aren't worth the time and effort. It could take a few interpretations and iterations to find the gains that are worth it. Technology is popular, but is a huge initial investment. Apps and knowledge are easy to access. Easy to produce videos with 14.1 champions can legitimize you while the tournament is not in session.

Dragon, mostly CW took some big hits on AZ, because of the "negative" input providers that are not official. Good "positive" references of 14.1 organization and promotions and history, was limited. I think somebody there knows how to edit videos and mix music, that effort seems to have lost steam.

I know Dragon's identity, but I invested lots of time in learning. Other people don't have that luxury and need something easy to access with official representation.

Player promoters are on the rise, and breaking new ground isn't easy. But fans and players support you.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When they said 'it" reached over 1 millions pool fans, I assumed they just meant news of the event, not the live stream. I did not hear that it was being streamed free anywhere and doubt that it was.

So "it" might have been promotion or marketing information or news of the event. I wonder how many human beings watched any part of the matches.

Last edited:

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
Hello!
Yes, as Mr.Walsh pointed out we are not often on here if we do not have a relevant billiards promotion going on. Currently we do more events in other sports/industries nowadays but we do still intend to keep billiards as part of our repertoire as Dragon Promotions had its roots and origins here.

Yes, according to our analytics during the past quarter, over a million fans were reached via social media (facebook, twitter, instagram), our website, other news sites. The final week of the World 14.1 fb page alone drew 300,000+ fans!

Thank you everyone for your continued support