Brunswick Gold Crown Cleaning Questions

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
What is the best way to clean a dirty Gold Crown table.

I want to clean the feet as they are the dirtiest part and made of metal of some sort. I don't think they are brass but should be brass in color if I am correct.

I want to clean the wooden legs and side rails as well.

I would like to do this prior to having the table set up.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Get more traction in " Talk to a Mechanic" section

I was hoping someone other than Mechanics have cleaned a table and could offer their opinions as well.

In addition I hope the Mechanics will also see this thread and comment as well.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried buffing the feet but quickly found out I didn't have the right tools. I ended up taking them to be powder coated. I think they cost me $30 each. The same place would have polished and lacquered them if that's your preference.

As far as cleaning the rest of the table I tried some 409 to get the years of grime and nicotine residue cleaned. I ended up stripping and refinishing the table.

Good luck and have fun with it.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My GC feet and corners were in good shape with only minor wear. I used liquid bar keepers friend and it did a nice job.

Ian

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best way to clean a dirty Gold Crown table.

I want to clean the feet as they are the dirtiest part and made of metal of some sort. I don't think they are brass but should be brass in color if I am correct.

I want to clean the wooden legs and side rails as well.

I would like to do this prior to having the table set up.

Thanks

Kevin

If you have a GC 3 or later (with copper coloured feet and corners), I'm not sure what you'd do with those.

But if you have the GC 1 or 2 silver feet and corners, you can bring those back to life by sanding and polishing.

I have a GC 1. The feet and corner castings were a scratched up mess with a couple of deep gouges in them. I ended up sanding them all down starting with 300 grit, then 600, 1000 and then finishing off with 1200.

At that point, they have a bit of a satin sheen to them. Which is what I wanted.

If you want them to be like mirrors, you could use a polisher at that point....but when they're mirrors, they'll reflect more light.

I did all the sanding by hand.....takes quite a while, but it was totally worth it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a black gc 4 and used windex on that bad boy.

Once, about 5yr ago.

I am told the pockets get wiped with turpentine.

SlateMan

Registered
I went the cheap route and just cleaned mine the best I could and then spray painted them with a copper paint and a clear coat. Not perfect but it looks good in the room. For the feet especially, no one should be that close to them to see the difference.

Next time I will have them powder coated.

album.php

album.php

album.php

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a great looking GC-whatever, take the legs,pocket castings,
and ballbox logo to a powder coating shop. Pick the color you like.
The stuff is almost indestructible! Had my GCIII done 9 years ago.
Still looks new.
At that time , price was $200 in Northern VA.
Good luck

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this works great! Neato for life!

Attachments

• Resized_20191229_220112.jpeg
    Resized_20191229_220112.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 215

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Rotating brushes on worsted wool...not a good idea.
I vacuum my GC2 w/ Simonis 860 from time to time (a couple times a year I'd guess) with a shopvac with an upholstery attachment....but I'd have to agree, rotating brushes are probably not a good idea.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vacuum my GC2 w/ Simonis 860 from time to time (a couple times a year I'd guess) with a shopvac with an upholstery attachment....but I'd have to agree, rotating brushes are probably not a good idea.

The good people at simonis agree...and they sell cloth!