Best Black Players Of All Time

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Tademy square off with Tommy Baker 3 sets christmastime a year ago. Talk about a sight to behold, the guy has a swagger about him that is unreal, looks like he believes he can make a shot from anywhere on the table and do whatever he feels like with the cue ball, and then he backs it up!!!

There's a match with him vs Parica on YouTube playing banks in the la open. If you watch closely mark sorta looks down at parica a couple times in the match and just sorta laughs at him. I mean the guys attitude is just amazing I think there's a lot to be said about getting in that mindset where upyou don't respect anybody in pool.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornbread Red was from Paducah, Kentucky.....same as Buddy Hall....same as Skyler Woodword, it must be the water or something.

Ken

Dexter36

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a match with him vs Parica on YouTube playing banks in the la open. If you watch closely mark sorta looks down at parica a couple times in the match and just sorta laughs at him. I mean the guys attitude is just amazing I think there's a lot to be said about getting in that mindset where upyou don't respect anybody in pool.

I'm on it, thanks for the tip!

bstroud

Deceased
I played most of the Black players mentioned even for money.

I spent a lot of time hustling in the Black pool rooms. There was always more gamble than in the White rooms.

Several Black players not mentioned:

Buffalo Jerry, Blue Shirt, Chicago Paul, Willie Munson, Black Artie? from Chi Southside, Patch Eye from Louisville, Cecil. They all played well and bet their money.

Bill S.

This guy.

Color%20of%20Money%20pic%202.jpg

Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no way

This is Cornbread Red aka Billy Burge and Al Jolson

I saw a picture of Al Jolson and he didn't look anything like that guy. He was on stage
with a bunch of black guys. They would have beat him up if they found out he was
a impostor white guy dressed up like that. The other guy, I don't think is right either.
I was told by a guy that grew up with him that after his pool shark days were over
he had his on TV show about a junk seller and his son or nephew or something.
jack

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I saw a picture of Al Jolson and he didn't look anything like that guy. He was on stage
with a bunch of black guys. They would have beat him up if they found out he was
a impostor white guy dressed up like that. The other guy, I don't think is right either.
I was told by a guy that grew up with him that after his pool shark days were over
he had his on TV show about a junk seller and his son or nephew or something.
jack

Just to add to the confusion, Mr Potter....

James Evans, who most feel was the best Black player ever.....looks White...

IMG_3190.JPG

And Red Fox was one of the high rollers at the Rack in Detroit....
...( we spelled his name with only one 'D'....but he looked like Redd)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool made it into sanford and son, as you likely know....
Just to add to the confusion, Mr Potter....

James Evans, who most feel was the best Black player ever.....looks White...

View attachment 447060

And Red Fox was one of the high rollers at the Rack in Detroit....
...( we spelled his name with only one 'D'....but he looked like Redd)

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got this back in October and don't know who some of these players are. Any info would be appreciated.
on the border Joe Mason?

Names on the left going down:
Ron Williams – The Busdriver
Cliff Joyner
Grady Matthews
Kevin Spells aka Fish
Jackie Robinson – The Mailman - William Morton
Leonard Rucker Buggs
Buddy Hall
Billy Staton "Weenie Beenie"
Brown Derby

From the right going down:
Shannon Daulton
Kevin Gardner – Left handed Kevin
Cisero Murphy
Sterling Godfrey
Jafar Basheer "Patch"
Teddy Bear Wilson
Cornbread Red
Jose Amang Parica
Bill Anderson
Melvin A Brooks Strawberry

Any stories and info on some of the lesser known names would be greatly appreciated
Paul

Attachments

• 92lop-page-001.jpg
    92lop-page-001.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,341

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
in the middle...in print...it says "a special thanks to"...Dennis Wilson heads that list.
:bow-down::bow-down::bow-down:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I feel my old friend Edgar White hasn't gotten enough respect in this thread.

IMG_3236.JPG

Edgar aka Shake n Bake...won a World Open 9-ball title ...early 80s in Vegas.
...at the time, I believe it was the highest first prize money ever payed.

The field was high quality.....Louie Roberts, Richie Ambrose, Mike Massey, Ed Kelly,
Lou Butera, Ronnie Allen, Larry Hubbart, Dan Louie, Jimmy Reid, Mike Sigel....
...Lil Al Romero was the losing finalist.

I learned a few things from Edgar...I was betting on him at 9-ball...he was betting a thou
in the center....he was breaking from center and the cue ball was drawing a length and a
half back to center-table...after, I asked him why he was drawing on the break...
...he said "The cue-ball is under-sized, I was just hitting it center ball, and that's where it
wanted to go....most people put a little top in this situation so they can park it....
...but they're losing cue-ball speed."

I always liked the way he could laugh when things went wrong for him.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't mean to be insensitive nor rude..... but aren't you dead?

Check the date this is an old thread that's nearly 10 years old. RIP to Grady, I miss his posts he was very knowledgeable about pool and it's history and he wasn't one to mince words which is what this game so desperately needs.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why create a list of people of any particular race that play pool? that doesn't make any sense. 10 years ago or not that's a stupid post
Triggered much? :rolleyes:

For decades black players were banned from playing in many tournaments, which makes it hard or impossible to compare their accomplishments to their white counterparts. Which is why this thread exists.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
why create a list of people of any particular race that play pool? that doesn't make any sense. 10 years ago or not that's a stupid post

Did you read this thread? If you did, I know you stepped over that horse. He was laying right in the middle of the path. I know cuz I watched him get beat to death. AND, once he was dead, we beat on him some more :(. May he rest in peace.

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nope just jumping on the bandwagon. typical black attitude. they love and embrace their racism. egregious use of the word white people aren't even allowed to reference by letter anymore, black entertainment, black this, black that. it's hilarious

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so stupid

I don't think the post is stupid. I also think many of us can be curious about some ones race for many reasons.

Heck, I always thought Corn Bread Red was black because I thought that is what a friend indicated, unless I misunderstood him.

I grow weary of all the hyper sensitive PC crap.