Brunswick's GC with slate and BRUNSWICK

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To interested Table Mechanics.
In your experience with Brunswick GC's and their playing surface :

were the 1-inch pieces always slate?
and
were the 1.25-inch pieces always BRUNSTONE?

Here is what Brunswick says about the two.

http://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/29685370-7B87-4C10-830F-257455965183

But I want to hear from you, the Table Mechanics. Because, what Brunswick said they did could very well differ from what they actually did. In house secrets are just that; it is privileged information.

Best regards,
Dave

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Im not a table mechanic so I only know about my GCI. I can tell you its definitely Brunstone and it is definitely not 1 1/4" thick. I think its 1 1/8" if I remember correctly. The table is all original with all the original parts as delivered and set up from the local Brunswick dealer 2 owners ago in 1971 or 1972.
The link you posted is not working.

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I would trust the info from Brunswick. They can't seem to get their story straight in just this one document.

"Made in 3 piece sets, drilled to conform to Brunswick slate sets. 1 1/4" thick to achieve the same weight as a standard 1" thick slate set."

"Weight: Brunstone actually weighs more than slate. A set of 4 1/2 x 9' slate weighs 597 pounds, while Brunstone weighed in a 609 pounds. The added weight ensures your table will be even more solid and stable."

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I would trust the info from Brunswick. They can't seem to get their story straight in just this one document.

Some of Brunswick's advertisements, and public records lead me to believe the same as you do. I thank you for posting your comments about it.
Dave

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that the first usage of the word "Brunstone" that I can find on that site is 1978. I wonder if the Brunstone in those catalog entries refers to the resin-impregnated sandstone that Brunswick trademarked in 1980 or whether it's just the plain old sandstone like I have on my GC1.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that the first usage of the word "Brunstone" that I can find on that site is 1978. I wonder if the Brunstone in those catalog entries refers to the resin-impregnated sandstone that Brunswick trademarked in 1980 or whether it's just the plain old sandstone like I have on my GC1.
Please tell me specifically what site.
Thanks,
Dave

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

"Made in 3 piece sets, drilled to conform to Brunswick slate sets. 1 1/4" thick to achieve the same weight as a standard 1" thick slate set."

"Weight: Brunstone actually weighs more than slate. A set of 4 1/2 x 9' slate weighs 597 pounds, while Brunstone weighed in a 609 pounds. The added weight ensures your table will be even more solid and stable."

I have a set of Longacre digital race car scales. My friends brother who does scale repair told me the load cells in my scales are of high quality and accuracy. I weighed my Brunstone, with the wood backing they were 227# each. If I remember correctly that was just the 2 end pieces, I dont think I weighed the center slate, although I would guess it is pretty close to the ends.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please tell me specifically what site.
Thanks,
Dave

The site you linked in your first post. Here it is with a Brunstone search.

http://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/search?utf8=✓&search_criteria=Brunstone&searchButton=Search

By any chance, does someone have a broken-off piece of Brunstone from an old, unusable slab that they could spare? I'm a geologist and I'm interested in figuring out what this stuff is at a microscopic level. I only need a chunk that's about the size of a matchbox, or maybe 1" on a side. If you have a piece you can spare, I'm happy to pay for shipping.

Last edited:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

http://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/search?utf8=✓&search_criteria=Brunstone&searchButton=Search

By any chance, does someone have a broken-off piece of Brunstone from an old, unusable slab that they could spare? I'm a geologist and I'm interested in figuring out what this stuff is at a microscopic level. I only need a chunk that's about the size of a matchbox, or maybe 1" on a side. If you have a piece you can spare, I'm happy to pay for shipping.

This is great! Absolutely great.
We need some detective work done on what some say is BRUNSTONE (Sandstone impregnated with resin) and what others say is just sandstone with out any resin.
Maybe there are both!
Please carry on with the idea of investigating the mystery.
Dave

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member

-

It won't take long for me to collect more pieces, I've got some now and will message you when I have some good findings. I'll take notes to send a long with the samples/chips.

Rob.M

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-

It won't take long for me to collect more pieces, I've got some now and will message you when I have some good findings. I'll take notes to send a long with the samples/chips.

Rob.M

You gentleman are on the hunt. :)
Please keep us informed.
Dave