lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(sigh). Really?

Try the second paragraph. Slowly.

Lou Figueroa
unfuggenbelievable

( sigh ) really ?

I make a comment ...actually posing it more or less as a question " hence the question mark at the end" about your knee. Your retort seems to suggest I have a problem with reading comprehension .

Try reading the second paragraph....slowly ? I understood what you said the first time I read it...no.need to go back and read it a second time...slowly.

As matter of fact let me probe fo you how well I.can comprehend what I read.

Just 5 days prior to starting this thread you posted on johns challenge thread describing how your knee was swollen up and was going to have fo be drained again.

You also stated you had no idea if that would work and if you will ever be able to get in you normal shooting stance again. You mentioned your torn miniscus in several posts and mentioned being in quite a bit of pain several times and talked about possible surgery. How is that for reading comprehension and no I did not have to go back and read any of it slowly.

After reading just 5 days prior to this thread about your swollen knee and having to get it drained I was quite surprised to read here about you strolling the streets of Mexico and even playing pool, thus my comment that you quoted.

Either all the posts where you describe you knee ailment is an outright lie or you have the most "unfugganbelievable " recuperative powers I have ever heard of.

To be fair I could give you the benefit of the doubt and suggest that somewhere in between those two scenarios lies the truth.

I am not one to get into p*ssing contests with any one on here but I really did not care for your retort to my post and thus my response to you in kind.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
( sigh ) really ?

I make a comment ...actually posing it more or less as a question " hence the question mark at the end" about your knee. Your retort seems to suggest I have a problem with reading comprehension .

Try reading the second paragraph....slowly ? I understood what you said the first time I read it...no.need to go back and read it a second time...slowly.

As matter of fact let me probe fo you how well I.can comprehend what I read.

Just 5 days prior to starting this thread you posted on johns challenge thread describing how your knee was swollen up and was going to have fo be drained again.

You also stated you had no idea if that would work and if you will ever be able to get in you normal shooting stance again. You mentioned your torn miniscus in several posts and mentioned being in quite a bit of pain several times and talked about possible surgery. How is that for reading comprehension and no I did not have to go back and read any of it slowly.

After reading just 5 days prior to this thread about your swollen knee and having to get it drained I was quite surprised to read here about you strolling the streets of Mexico and even playing pool, thus my comment that you quoted.

Either all the posts where you describe you knee ailment is an outright lie or you have the most "unfugganbelievable " recuperative powers I have ever heard of.

To be fair I could give you the benefit of the doubt and suggest that somewhere in between those two scenarios lies the truth.

I am not one to get into p*ssing contests with any one on here but I really did not care for your retort to my post and thus my response to you in kind.

My knee is swollen and will probably have to be drained. That'll be up to the doctor. If I go walking for any amount of time I'm wearing a brace. I had so much pain trying to sleep down there that I went to a pharmacia and bought some 5% Lidocaine, which you can get over the counter there, and applying that to my knee a few times a day helped me sleep and get around.

Your one-liner post came off, to me, as a cheap shot or lack of reading comprehension. There certainly was no benefit of the doubt implied in what or how you posted.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My knee is swollen and will probably have to be drained. That'll be up to the doctor. If I go walking for any amount of time I'm wearing a brace. I had so much pain trying to sleep down there that I went to a pharmacia and bought some 5% Lidocaine, which you can get over the counter there, and applying that to my knee a few times a day helped me sleep and get around.

Your one-liner post came off, to me, as a cheap shot or lack of reading comprehension. There certainly was no benefit of the doubt implied in what or how you posted.

Lou Figueroa

I understand how my short post could be taken out of context. It was not meant to be snarky in any way. It was just short and to the point.....thought you had a bad knee.?

I thought I received a disrespectful reply to my post and replied in kind.

Hope you recover soon without having to go through surgery.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand how my short post could be taken out of context. It was not meant to be snarky in any way. It was just short and to the point.....thought you had a bad knee.?

I thought I received a disrespectful reply to my post and replied in kind.

Hope you recover soon without having to go through surgery.

It was just a misunderstanding, lorider. We're good. And thanks.

Lou a Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets talk more abooot the ladies: who wants to name them, L-r?

Sophia, angelina, loubeth, penny, gail?

That venue looks really nice too (save the red cloth.)

Fun read, thanks or sharing.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am gonna go with l/ r..penny...sophia...lou ...gail.and Beth.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OK, first off, just heard from Sophia that her buddy from Cost Rica is Evelyn, not Angelina. Tequila no bueno.

So, from left to right it's: Evelyn, Shophia, your humble servant, Penny, and Gail.

And it was a nice joint, 'cept as you note, for the red cloth. Here a better view with Penny in action.

Lou Figueroa.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...I dono, I'm thinking your speeds just about right, :wink:

the wall thing is funny.

Before seeing this I was thinking the game/match up north, the big 1 pocket one,
would have been a good place for the lou & john match as a warm up for the main event to be had,
but now, nah, why?

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. That looks like a nice place. It almost sounded like the beginning of a Hustler article. And not the pool Hustler type. Not that I ever read the articles. The red cloth reminds me of a cigar bar in the Marriott in downtown Charlotte. I've earned plenty of glasses of port from the civilians (good term) over the years, but that place looks better with the band and everything. Fun times

Last night Gail and I went to see a local production of "Avenue Q." Very funny.

So after the show we're strolling along and come across an open air bar with a karaoke set up in the back and a 9' red clothed pool table in front. I haven't been playing any pool lately, resting up my knee, and Gail says, " Why don't you hit some balls. I'm sure you're dying to and we can have a couple of beers." So I give in. There's a house cue on the table and the balls are in the pockets and it's basically a play for free while you drink sort of thing.

I play for about 15 minutes, getting a feel for the cue and table, and then have had enough. I lay down the cue on the table to join my wife and sip a beer.

Just a few minutes later, a three lady crew comes in and they start to play each other 8ball. Gail and I are sitting ringside and it's pretty clear that the blonde, Penny, can actually play some.

Now, my wife, for all her wonderful qualities, has, from my point of view, one minor flaw: she *loves* situations like this and starts in on me right away, whispering, "Play her. She's the queen bee, beat her." And so on and so forth. Now personally, I don't like playing in bars anymore. Particularly because Gail always wants me to challenge the table and I don't like picking on "civilians." But I give in again, rack the balls, and am about to walk back and take a sip of beer when Sophia, Penny crew member #2, comes up to me, like nose-to-nose, and says, "You lose, you buy us tequila."

Did I mention we're in Mexico?

So, in my very best, most neutral tone -- and despite my natural inclination to flirt with the very attractive Sophia -- (plus the fact that my wife is sitting three feet away), I respond, "And what do I get if I win?" And Sophia says back, "You guys get tequila."

And so we play. Penny breaks, runs a few, misses. I make one, playing tricky two-rail position to set up for a second shot and to break up a cluster, run a couple more, and then take a ball off a side pocket point leaving Penny nothing. She tries a kick shot, misses, and I run out.

Penny demurs on another game and shortly thereafter two shots of tequila arrive at our table and Gail and I do our best to fulfill our diplomatic, American duty in these times of strained relations with our hosting country and shoot the tequilas. Of course, not too long after that, I'm feeling a little bad about stealing so I send over three shots to Penny, from California, Sophia, from Mexico, and Evelyn, from Costa Rica. Then, not too long after that, I suppose in a gesture of goodwill, they sent us two more shots.

I'm guessing you can all figure out where this is going.

After a few more rounds we are toast. The girls want a picture but no one is steady enough to manage a camera but luckily a gentleman on the rail volunteers to document this moment of international pool comraderie. We say "Adios," there are hugs and kisses all around, and Gail and I hail a taxi and somehow make it safe and sound to the condo we've been renting, though we are both paying a steep price today.

BTW, the best line I've heard down here, from a Mexican waiter, was' "You want to know how we Mexicans feel about Trump's wall? ....we'll get over it."

Headed home. Viva Mexico!

Lou Figueroa

I really enjoyed reading the story. Sounds like a really fun night out. I would love to play the girl on the far left some 8 ball.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...I dono, I'm thinking your speeds just about right, :wink:

the wall thing is funny.

Before seeing this I was thinking the game/match up north, the big 1 pocket one,
would have been a good place for the lou & john match as a warm up for the main event to be had,
but now, nah, why?

Gracias, Dan.

There was also some construction going on down by the beach. Someone had spray painted on a large section of plywood "Tump's Wall."

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed reading the story. Sounds like a really fun night out. I would love to play the girl on the far left some 8 ball.

Thanks, justinb. It was a fun night, miserable morning.

BTW, there were a couple of large rooms too. Here's a couple shots of one of them, just a couple doors down from where we had dinner one night.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 645
Thanks, justinb. It was a fun night, miserable morning.

BTW, there were a couple of large rooms too. Here's a couple shots of one of them, just a couple doors down from where we had dinner one night.

Lou Figueroa

That is cool. Looks like pool (and 3 cushion billiards) is popular down in Mexico. Very sorry to hear about your leg. Sounds horrible. I hope it will get better, and you will be able to shoot pool on it without any pain.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is cool. Looks like pool (and 3 cushion billiards) is popular down in Mexico. Very sorry to hear about your leg. Sounds horrible. I hope it will get better, and you will be able to shoot pool on it without any pain.

They take it pretty seriously down there. Lots of custom cues and gloves. Even fake measles CBs :)

And thanks for the good wishes.

Lou Figueroa

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Manufacturer of pool table.

In post # 33 there is a photo of the end of one of the local (Mexico) pool tables with, what might be the manufacturer’s nameplate.
I can make out STRU??ZAK. The question marks in place of the letters or icons of which I cannot decipher. Please, someone, decipher.
I am always interested in the equiptment of pool.
Thank you,
Dave

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In post # 33 there is a photo of the end of one of the local (Mexico) pool tables with, what might be the manufacturer’s nameplate.
I can make out STRU??ZAK. The question marks in place of the letters or icons of which I cannot decipher. Please, someone, decipher.
I am always interested in the equiptment of pool.
Thank you,
Dave

I don't have more info, but there were actually a couple of places with unique, probably of Mexican origin, tables down there in Puerto Vallarta. Next time I shall check for more info.

One more shot -- didn't know Gail even took it until today when she uploaded her photos.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 505

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have more info, but there were actually a couple of places with unique, probably of Mexican origin, tables down there in Puerto Vallarta. Next time I shall check for more info.

One more shot -- didn't know Gail even took it until today when she uploaded her photos.

Lou Figueroa

Uhh, Lou?

Is that lipstick on your shaft?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I didn't know Anthony Bourdain played pool.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice story Lou! Reading these stories makes me regret a little that I dont drink at all/dont go to bars :grin: Btw I love those pics in post n.33 of billiard parlor with nice open space which for me is billiard heaven (i have a mild case of claustrophobia) :)

Last night Gail and I went to see a local production of "Avenue Q." Very funny.

So after the show we're strolling along and come across an open air bar with a karaoke set up in the back and a 9' red clothed pool table in front. I haven't been playing any pool lately, resting up my knee, and Gail says, " Why don't you hit some balls. I'm sure you're dying to and we can have a couple of beers." So I give in. There's a house cue on the table and the balls are in the pockets and it's basically a play for free while you drink sort of thing.

I play for about 15 minutes, getting a feel for the cue and table, and then have had enough. I lay down the cue on the table to join my wife and sip a beer.

Just a few minutes later, a three lady crew comes in and they start to play each other 8ball. Gail and I are sitting ringside and it's pretty clear that the blonde, Penny, can actually play some.

Now, my wife, for all her wonderful qualities, has, from my point of view, one minor flaw: she *loves* situations like this and starts in on me right away, whispering, "Play her. She's the queen bee, beat her." And so on and so forth. Now personally, I don't like playing in bars anymore. Particularly because Gail always wants me to challenge the table and I don't like picking on "civilians." But I give in again, rack the balls, and am about to walk back and take a sip of beer when Sophia, Penny crew member #2, comes up to me, like nose-to-nose, and says, "You lose, you buy us tequila."

Did I mention we're in Mexico?

So, in my very best, most neutral tone -- and despite my natural inclination to flirt with the very attractive Sophia -- (plus the fact that my wife is sitting three feet away), I respond, "And what do I get if I win?" And Sophia says back, "You guys get tequila."

And so we play. Penny breaks, runs a few, misses. I make one, playing tricky two-rail position to set up for a second shot and to break up a cluster, run a couple more, and then take a ball off a side pocket point leaving Penny nothing. She tries a kick shot, misses, and I run out.

Penny demurs on another game and shortly thereafter two shots of tequila arrive at our table and Gail and I do our best to fulfill our diplomatic, American duty in these times of strained relations with our hosting country and shoot the tequilas. Of course, not too long after that, I'm feeling a little bad about stealing so I send over three shots to Penny, from California, Sophia, from Mexico, and Evelyn, from Costa Rica. Then, not too long after that, I suppose in a gesture of goodwill, they sent us two more shots.

I'm guessing you can all figure out where this is going.

After a few more rounds we are toast. The girls want a picture but no one is steady enough to manage a camera but luckily a gentleman on the rail volunteers to document this moment of international pool comraderie. We say "Adios," there are hugs and kisses all around, and Gail and I hail a taxi and somehow make it safe and sound to the condo we've been renting, though we are both paying a steep price today.

BTW, the best line I've heard down here, from a Mexican waiter, was' "You want to know how we Mexicans feel about Trump's wall? ....we'll get over it."

Headed home. Viva Mexico!

Lou Figueroa