Mosconi's High School?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before I start canvasing every dang school in the Philly metroplex - does anyone happen to know offhand what high school or private school Mosconi attended?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Mosconi went to Barrett Junior High School and then South Philadelphia High School.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I start canvasing every dang school in the Philly metroplex - does anyone happen to know offhand what high school or private school Mosconi attended?

Barrett Jr. HS and South Philadelphia High.

Lou Figueroa
didn't have
a slip stroke
back then either :-o

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
cool thanks...
trying to track down info about his buddy Frank Amelio

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ?

How in the Hell do you people know this stuff ? Mr. Bond barely finished typing
and here comes the answer. It would take me longer to remember my own schools
and they were both 2 blocks from where I lived for 20 years.
jack

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
jack

They nose it 'cause they is smart as whips. :thumbup:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He grew up in Philadelphia in South Philly. Huge Italian Catholic neighborhood. Try the Catholic parishes of the time. I know this is broad but I highly doubt he went to public school but if he did South Philadelphia High School is probably where he attended.

Sorry, just read the other posts.

Ask and ye shall receive Mr. Bond.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
jack

Im just guessing.

May is a month when many students graduate and it is usually towards the end of that month. 526

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"I went to the local public school, then to Barrett Junior High School and South Philadelphia High. About halfway through high school my father took me out and enrolled me in Banks Business College. I had no interest in business and I certainly didn't want to go to a specialized school, but my father had his own ideas. His sister's husband was in the shoe-binding business, and my father was hoping to get me some training so that I could join him in the business. But it didn't work out that way. I completed enough courses to receive my high school diploma, but about halfway through I had to leave and go to work."

Willie's Game, by Willie Mosconi & Stanley Cohen, p. 18.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I went to the local public school, then to Barrett Junior High School and South Philadelphia High. About halfway through high school my father took me out and enrolled me in Banks Business College. I had no interest in business and I certainly didn't want to go to a specialized school, but my father had his own ideas. His sister's husband was in the shoe-binding business, and my father was hoping to get me some training so that I could join him in the business. But it didn't work out that way. I completed enough courses to receive my high school diploma, but about halfway through I had to leave and go to work."

Willie's Game, by Willie Mosconi & Stanley Cohen, p. 18.

thats a fancy way of saying "I didnt finish high school"

(common in working families in those days and is no reflection of his intelligence)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack

I have a large pool library sitting right behind me. (I have one of Mosconi's cue balls sitting there on a shelf too.) So when something like this comes up, I just swivel around and pick the appropriate piece of literature.

Lou Figueroa

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apparently Willie and the Fresh Prince of Belaire have a lot in common lol