How to Make a Fair Pool Bet between Strangers?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like my gambling golf buddy used to say: " I'll play anybody for any amount (he called money units) if the bet is fair". That was easy because most people have handicaps in golf and his was +4. How do two strangers, to each other, make a "fair and even" bet in pool? Like I've said before; when I used to play pool for money, back when I had none, my talent was instantly recognizing who was better and I moved to another table. I have zero interest in giving a better player my money unless I can justify it as a cheap lesson.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Even up. Play cheap. Could be an inexpensive lesson.

It is not a "fair" bet to play a better player even. I think the general attitude is that the better player "deserves to win the money" and the lessor player will not get any better until he's lost thousands of $$$ to better players. Nothing like that happens in golf. The players know their respective handicaps and that difference is generally the bet. They try to make it a "fair and even" bet. The better player is not expecting to be just handed the money.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It is not a "fair" bet to play a better player even. I think the general attitude is that the better player "deserves to win the money" and the lessor player will not get any better until he's lost thousands of $$$ to better players. Nothing like that happens in golf. The players know their respective handicaps and that difference is generally the bet. They try to make it a "fair and even" bet. The better player is not expecting to be just handed the money.

Don't step up to a stranger that is that much better than you and expect to get a "FAIR" bet.... Different story if you know the person... I personally won't approach someone better than me an expect weight...
I practice with guys who are much better than I and get plenty of free lessons.

Trent

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like my gambling golf buddy used to say: " I'll play anybody for any amount (he called money units) if the bet is fair". That was easy because most people have handicaps in golf and his was +4. How do two strangers, to each other, make a "fair and even" bet in pool? Like I've said before; when I used to play pool for money, back when I had none, my talent was instantly recognizing who was better and I moved to another table. I have zero interest in giving a better player my money unless I can justify it as a cheap lesson.

Play a few cheap sets and adjust as needed based on the results. You'll know soon enough if you made a bad bet. I used to play one pocket with a young fireball who shoots lights out. Even up I could wine maybe 1 out of 4 games, losing like 8-3 or 8-4 regularly. We agreed tp play 9-7 for a few games and I wore him out winning 7-2 and 7-3 most games. Some times a little adjustment goes a long way. You protect yourself, don't bet anything you can't afford to lose, and don't let pride convince you that you can win when you can't.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You already know there isn't a way to make a "fair" bet with a stranger. I would suggest you play straight up until you decide what would be fair, but that wouldn't be fair for someone.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And.... just give (for all practical purposes) the better player your money. I suppose he would not be interested in a fair and even match??

Bet what you can afford to lose to an unknown player. I think we've all taken a few lessons. I am a firm believer that practice will make you a better player but nothing improves your game like playing better players. There is a guy in my poolroom who sums it up nicely. " I want to play the best guy in the room for the least amount he'll play for." This guy plays well. Besides if you play a stranger you just might win. That stranger has questions about you too.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are good enough you should be able to beat most complete strangers you play against. If you aren't good enough you shouldn't be gambling.

The key is to have a proper evaluation of your own speed.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Bet what you can afford to lose to an unknown player. I think we've all taken a few lessons. I am a firm believer that practice will make you a better player but nothing improves your game like playing better players. There is a guy in my poolroom who sums it up nicely. " I want to play the best guy in the room for the least amount he'll play for." This guy plays well. Besides if you play a stranger you just might win. That stranger has questions about you too.

That's good and I do it. I play the local touring pro races to 7 or 9 for $10. He gives me the break and ball in hand. I know it's not near enough, but for $10.... Pool is his only income so I don't mind contributing to his cause.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
That's good and I do it. I play the local touring pro races to 7 or 9 for $10. He gives me the break and ball in hand. I know it's not near enough, but for $10.... Pool is his only income so I don't mind contributing to his cause.

I like to order a steak and mashed potatoes when I go out to eat. It's not healthy for me, but what the heck.

What are we talking about on this thread?

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

And you must learn a lot from him. Good for you. How can it hurt to play a stranger even up cheap sets? You might find a friend in a strange poolroom. Win/win.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start with how good each player thinks they are. Then adjust when one player gets a big fat reality slap upside the head...

Play even and have a backer. I never play with my own money even when I have the NUTS!

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I like to order a steak and mashed potatoes when I go out to eat. It's not healthy for me, but what the heck.

What are we talking about on this thread?

Funny! The very next post after yours understood it perfectly. Maybe the problem is in your court.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's like $10 an hour, does he go out on tour with all of it? Wait, we have a pro tour?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's like $10 an hour, does he go out on tour with all of it? Wait, we have a pro tour?

Guys that travel around playing in tournaments as professionals. Aren't they "touring pros"? Isn't it the pro tour? What is SVB is he isn't a "touring pro"? I come from the golf world, maybe that term is reserved for the pro golfers. I'll work harder on the correct terminology for pool.