Wrapless vs wrapped cue

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I have only played with wrapless cues up to this point. I have a chance at a really nice cue but it's wrapped. I'm not sure I'll like it. Has anyone made the switch and regretted it? Made the switch and liked it? I don't want to make a trade and regret it...

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only played with wrapless cues up to this point. I have a chance at a really nice cue but it's wrapped. I'm not sure I'll like it. Has anyone made the switch and regretted it? Made the switch and liked it? I don't want to make a trade and regret it...

If you're not sure don't change. Change, no buddy likes change but guess what; it's going to happen weather you like it or not. Well in this case it's up to you.
FYI, I've had to change many times. Skinny, thick, wrapped, un-wrapped., low deflection, back to maple back to L.D.. Adapted and over come is my motto.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I think you should make the change.
You might like the wrap better than wrapless.
Give it a shot what the heck.

Smooth leather vs textured, linen vs leather, hard leather vs soft, tightly wound linen vs loose fit, even rubber vs latex, stacked leather vs elephant ear, etc.
A lot of options for wraps

:smile:

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
I had wrapped (linen and textured leather), but after playing with it for a while I moved to wrap-less. I preferred the grip I got with no wrap, and often found my standard grip always had a finger or two off the wrap anyway.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It's all personal and subjective. If you suffer from sweaty hands then a linen wrap may help. Some people like the look of exotic skins, this may or may not appeal to you.

Since you mention trade, rather than buying, find out from the other party if you can try the cue out first.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
If your thinking about trading that full splice jim pierce for a cue with a wrap you're crazy!

Wrapless cues ftw

That's the one. I was offered a very nice Schon LTD in trade. I've wanted a Schon but am unsure about a wrapped cue.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The first cue I bought (Players HXTE10) had a linen wrap. I figured "with wrap is better than without, right?"

I was wrong (for me). One day I had to play with a house cue and realized that I had a better grip on the cue; the linen wrap had always felt slippery, but I was too inexperienced to admit to myself that I'd made a wrong purchase.

Bought an OB121 wrapless and couldn't be happier.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
They make little to no difference to me
I love leather
, I used to like wrapless
Now I like linen again

But I'll never like stacked leather in look or feel

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to a wrapped cue from wrappless. I have a Lizard Skin wrap and an Irish linen. I prefer both to an unwrapped cue at this point. Over the 2 wraps I have i prefer the Irish Linen but the lizard skin is my player. I'm most likely going to have an Irish line wrap put on it.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I think you should make the change.
You might like the wrap better than wrapless.
Give it a shot what the heck.

Smooth leather vs textured, linen vs leather, hard leather vs soft, tightly wound linen vs loose fit, even rubber vs latex, stacked leather vs elephant ear, etc.
A lot of options for wraps

:smile:

Man I want too but it's an expensive error if I don't like it.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Ha true but not my wallet... it's a trade at any rate.

Your wrapless cue may just be a better playing cue, or have a better feel.
The difference in wraps doesn't bother me as much as the difference in cues in general.
There are a lot of variables involved

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd think long and hard about trading a custom cue by Peirce/Davis for a glorified production cue. Ltd or not if you really want to know borrow someone's cue for a few nights with a wrap on it. I'm with the other guy the way I stroke the cue my hand is half of the wrap a lot when I play with the 58" cue. Don't forget to think about that that Ltd will most likely be shorter.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
IMHO, if I haven't tried the LTD, I would never trade one of my players for something else.

There is a strong chance the 2 cues will play differently. This may not be a bad thing, but it could be,if you don't like the way the LTD plays.

Different pins,shafts,joint material,ferrule,tip....definitely a crapshoot,even if you like the way it looks.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The wrap is 100% subjective .. different strokes for different folks.

But there is one big functional difference .. you will never wear out the wrap on a wrapless cue. A wrapless butt is easier to live with as well, wipe it down and put it away - no worries about messing up the wrap.

Good luck.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
That's it. I can't do it. I like my wrapless too much to switch. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree...don't trade what you know you like for something you might like.

Fwiw...wrapless, 8 days a week.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i was all about wrapless, till i figured id give linen another shot,

now im all about linen, lol

neither did much for how i play, just how my hand felt, feels very smooth on linen now

the wrapless finish clings to the skin, feels a bit harsh now against my baby like hands

Last edited: