One Pocket

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it that one pocket is not a called ball game? One pocket is such a controlled game that it would make sense to have call ball into the rules to take out the random ball going in. Disclaimer: I am not an avid one pocket player but its just a random thought that popped into my head while watching the orcollo/chohan match.

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Shout out to 808 Billiards

Don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say hello to MIKE @ 808 BILLIARDS IN HILO....thought this might be you...I was in hilo last year and hit some balls and chatted with the locals on league night....I am a pool table mechanic going between Seattle and las Vegas...hope all is well with pool on the big island...not much pool this year in MAUI.....take care and disregard if hour not who I thought you were....
take care,
Gordon Graham
425-275-8255

PS we talked about shipping a container of Diamond tables to you...

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Gordon. This is Mike from 808 Billiards. All is good here on the island. Hope your doing well. You should visit us again when your in town.

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched the match. I can't see either of these fellas making a "random" ball.
The good ones shoot shots I'd never see although it's obvious once they send it. Guess I should have bought the stream.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Why is it that one pocket is not a called ball game? One pocket is such a controlled game that it would make sense to have call ball into the rules to take out the random ball going in. Disclaimer: I am not an avid one pocket player but its just a random thought that popped into my head while watching the orcollo/chohan match.

The players know exactly what they are attempting most of the time and the beauty of the game is built around watching and learning possibilities and coming with excellent cue ball control to get out of traps. A beautiful game. The greatest in my opinion. Call ball would mess it up. After call ball would come call safe. No.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the player know exactly what they are attempting then call ball should not be a problem because that is exactly what they are attempting to accomplish

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple of very important reasons :

1) While playing one hole on a BB CAN be done and I'll even admit every once in great while can be fun but IMHO playing it on anything smaller than a 4.5x9 really takes away the " essence of the game.

2) As to the " random balls " - as mentioned extremely rare for folks especially pros to pocket " random " balls. Now if you're also talking about intentionally pocketing balls in one of the other 4 pockets...... well I'll say the same thing as above. It's an extremely important part of the game and if that were changed I don't know what you would be playing but it wouldn't be one pocket.

Don't forget the six 2 pocket 1 pocket tables Diamond made ( supposedly to appease Earl ). We can see how popular they turned out to be .

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my experience there are many shots at 1pocket where you're directly shooting or banking into the stack and the objective is to just drive balls towards your pocket. And when multiple balls start moving there are, sometimes, serendipitous caroms than will send a ball into your hole. Of course there are also times on shots like these where you'll get a bad outcome and you leave a keyhole for a bank or a ball will, unbelievably, run through the defensive line and emerge on your opponents side leaving him straight in.

By-and-large guys know exactly what they're trying to do but occasionally you shoot not knowing what the precise outcome will be. You're just going with the odds.

Lou Figueroa

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Rotation games are trash, I wouldn't like one pocket at all if it we're similar in anyway to those

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
You're just trying to herd a ball toward your pocket.
You make a great shot & it goes in without the ball
being called... It spots? Is that what you're saying?

I would say no to calling any 1 pocket shot.... ever.

Last edited:

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is one example of a situation where a shooter is playing to get a little lucky. The shot is 100% full proof in that if nothing falls into his pocket he will still have accomplished a great deal with his shot. Shots like this are percentage shots. Shoot enough of them and something is bound to eventually fall. I

Could the rule be changed to deny this eventuality? Sure, but for every vote to change the rule I would venture to say you will find four who vote against this change.

Tom

https://youtu.be/2rzPuGqvOWI

I'm probably under estimating that number.It's more likely at least 10 to 1 against changing the rule.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not call rails and kisses also ,,,, The fact of the matter is part of the beauty of the game is the element of risk reward shots , take those away and the game will lose some of its charm ,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

This will probably be the worst idea I hear all day.
..I would never play or watch call one-hole.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Pocket is the ONE game where I consider the so-called two way shot to be not only useful but smart. I despise the idea in rotation games and it's one reason I've given those games up for the most part. So, no, no called shots in One Pocket.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Neither snooker nor 3C are call shot games. You don't nominate which red goes into which pocket, and you don't call which cushions and balls you'll contact.

If you can come up with a reasonable reason why those should be call shot games, then let's talk about one pocket.

Call shot can make an already challenging game just silly. One pocket included.

Freddie

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there are shots where you're sending more than one ball at your hole

This pretty much sums it up.

What about a shot that favors you by hanging it or just getting it close, but it happens to fall. That ball would spot then, since you wanted to hang it in the pocket? Seems pretty unfair to me. I know you could call it in case, but just seems unnecessary.

We might as well call a ball on the break in every game then, since you are often going into the stack to move many balls in one pocket.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Friends don't let friends change OneP rules. The game is perfect in it's tradition form.
How about calling all shots in 9ball. There goes the game.