US OPEN Winner - Hall of Fame Implications

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Winning this years US Open would put some people in automatic get into Hall mode.

Assuming that the following are locks once they reach 40 (stop playing pool now and never do another thing:
1. SVB
2. Alex P
3. Thorsten Hohmann (my pick...some might argue this one)

The following list goes in with a win this year (or any year after this)
1. Corey D (has one)
2. Jeremy Jones (has one)
3. John 400 S (has one)
4. Dennis O (needs one)
5. Jayson Shaw (will get there but one this early would not be enough)
6. Neils F (might still get there without it)

For me US Open is the gold standard and it's virtually impossible to get there without winning this all important major. Did I miss anyone? Not consideration...I'm thinking first ballet walk on.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Terminator Niels in my bad I see him at the bottom now he's a shoe in

Last edited:

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Neils F just lost to John Morra.

"I don't always retire from pool, but when I do I show up once in awhile to take down world champions"

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Winning this years US Open would put some people in automatic get into Hall mode.

Assuming that the following are locks once they reach 40 (stop playing pool now and never do another thing:

No argument here. Hohmann should be a lock IMO.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Is the Terminator Niels in my bad I see him at the bottom now he's a shoe in

Yes I was debating which list to drop him on. Most likely HOF with or without US Open jacket. Jacket put's him in with a big bow around it.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member

1. SVB
2. Alex P

1. Corey D (has one)
2. Jeremy Jones (has one)
3. John 400 S (has one)
4. Dennis O (needs one)
5. Jayson Shaw (will get there but one this early would not be enough)
6. Neils F (might still get there without it)

For me US Open is the gold standard and it's virtually impossible to get there without winning this all important major. Did I miss anyone? Not consideration...I'm thinking first ballet walk on.

I have a hard time seeing Jeremy Jones or John 400 making it in (at least first ballot, and I am a big fan of both). While the open is certainly a big indicator, not every open winner is in the hall of fame (if I remember correctly). I think that Jones might get in for his overall contributions and record in cue sports, but not as sure about John at least on the first ballot.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I have a hard time seeing Jeremy Jones or John 400 making it in (at least first ballot, and I am a big fan of both). While the open is certainly a big indicator, not every open winner is in the hall of fame (if I remember correctly). I think that Jones might get in for his overall contributions and record in cue sports, but not as sure about John at least on the first ballot.

My point is that with ANOTHER Us Open they walk on. As is it's still a debate.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
So so far we have:
1. SVB - Working through B Side
2. Alex P - Just dropped to B
3. Thorsten Hohmann (my pick...some might argue this one) - A Side!

1. Corey D (has one) - A Side (MY DARK HORSE)
2. Jeremy Jones (has one) - B Side
3. John 400 S (has one) - B Side
4. Dennis O (needs one) - Working through B
5. Jayson Shaw (will get there but one this early would not be enough) - A-Side
6. Neils F (might still get there without it) - B Side

Somebody might just get a ride to the HOF because of this year's results.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Niels Feijen - do you guys know that Niels had really bad health issue regarding his elbow that he couldnt play at all for 2 months (damaged/imflammated tendon)? He was able to start practicing 3 weeks prior to US Open for about 20mins a day and only slowroll shots. Basically he had only 1 week of solid practice prior to US Open. I find it incredible that he is still in the tournament with so little practice. Regarding HOF Thorsten Hohmann is sure pick, 3 times world champion and arguably the best 14.1 player of our generation, who else would get picked if not Toastie? :confused:;)

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Niels Feijen - do you guys know that Niels had really bad health issue regarding his elbow that he couldnt play at all for 2 months (damaged/imflammated tendon)? He was able to start practicing 3 weeks prior to US Open for about 20mins a day and only slowroll shots. Basically he had only 1 week of solid practice prior to US Open. I find it incredible that he is still in the tournament with so little practice. Regarding HOF Thorsten Hohmann is sure pick, 3 times world champion and arguably the best 14.1 player of our generation, who else would get picked if not Toastie? :confused:;)

The meds kicked in. God bless modern medicine!

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The meds kicked in. God bless modern medicine!

Well in the end yes, he was given cortizone injection in his elbow which helped him big time with imflammation. On the other hand Niels will have to be very careful in the future with his practice regime as cortizone injection is basically the last resort when dealing with imflammation - it DOES help but also weakens the tendon. Hopefully Niels will find a way to practice AND stay healthy ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Solid list.

Too early to put Shaw on the list, although his skills make future induction likely around 2020. Niels Feijen is a stone cold lock for induction. Thorsten Hohmann, two time world champion in 9-ball and the dominant 14.1 player of this generation, is also a lock.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not that my opinion means anything, but winning a US Open or even two isn't a lock for anything. David Howard won two, and he won about 20 professional tournaments. He doesn't even get mentioned.

Jeremy Jones was on the ballot this year. If he won the US Open this year, it certainly would bolster his chances, but no lock.

Shane Van Boening, Alex Pagulayan, Thorsten Hohmann, Corey Deuel, Dennis Orcullo, Jayson Shaw, Niels Feijen: IMO, these guys will get in without an issue.

Freddie <~~~ HoS