Porper B q lathe manual

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Porper B q lathe manual (lathe pics added)

I picked this up today... 10-31-2017.... If no one has a manual, can someone tell me how to operate the taper set up? Do you have to disconnect something so the cross slide travels freely as the feed screw runs? I have posted 3 pictures of it.
Also. what is the going price for these on the used market? I put a dead center in the head stock and used my magnetic dial indicator on it and it shows out .002
Does anyone have a manual for the Porper B model Q lathe for sale or that you can make copies to email or print and mail? Where does one buy tooling for it? Standard tooling parts fit? Thanks for any info...
DSCN5350.jpg
DSCN5351.jpg
DSCN5352.jpg

Last edited:

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a manual for the Porper B model Q lathe for sale or that you can make copies to email or print and mail? Where does one buy tooling for it? Standard tooling parts fit? Thanks for any info...
It use to come with a video, you could try calling Muellers or maybe someone on here has a copy they could send to you.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It never had a parts manual with stock numbers on the parts that I know of. Standard 3/8" shank lathe tooling available everywhere on the web. Live and concave centers should be available thru Meullers but don't hold me to that. After that, it depends what your looking for.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
It never had a parts manual with stock numbers on the parts that I know of. Standard 3/8" shank lathe tooling available everywhere on the web. Live and concave centers should be available thru Meullers but don't hold me to that. After that, it depends what your looking for.

Thanks Mike. I have been using a mid size Cuesmith for a few years. I have an opportunity to buy a Porper B. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow. Just didn’t know if there were any specialty tools needed to work on it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike. I have been using a mid size Cuesmith for a few years. I have an opportunity to buy a Porper B. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow. Just didn’t know if there were any specialty tools needed to work on it.

I am told Hightower gives good customer support. Good move on your part. Porper is done. I'm not sure what kind of support you can get from Meullers. I just don't know.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Porper

Somewhere in the vast sea of my accumulations there's a VHS of the Q lathe. Not sure of the
content worthiness. Have to see who can make some dvd"s out of it. Any volunteers :)

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhere in the vast sea of my accumulations there's a VHS of the Q lathe. Not sure of the
content worthiness. Have to see who can make some dvd"s out of it. Any volunteers :)

Mario

If I remember correctly. The video is very basic. Nothing as far as parts or tearing it down to clean it or put it back together.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
To run taper, disengage the green lever, and engage the lever under the taper bar. Do not EVER have both levers engaged at same time. The taper bar has two grooves, one for shaft & one for butt. You have to loosen the tail end and remove the bolt from the head end to lift the bar enough to slide the bearing into the slot you desire.

As for the run out, you can loosen the 3 bolts on the back of the chuck, slightly snug them back up, then tap it here & there until it is running >.001". From there, tighten them down & it'll stay that way indefinitely.

All of it is pretty easy, especially if you're mechanically inclined. Keep everything lubed & clean, and you should have very little trouble. As for going rate, I typically see them going in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500 in the condition and tooling yours is/has. Seems about twice per year they pop up either here or ebay.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
To run taper, disengage the green lever, and engage the lever under the taper bar. Do not EVER have both levers engaged at same time. The taper bar has two grooves, one for shaft & one for butt. You have to loosen the tail end and remove the bolt from the head end to lift the bar enough to slide the bearing into the slot you desire.

As for the run out, you can loosen the 3 bolts on the back of the chuck, slightly snug them back up, then tap it here & there until it is running >.001". From there, tighten them down & it'll stay that way indefinitely.

All of it is pretty easy, especially if you're mechanically inclined. Keep everything lubed & clean, and you should have very little trouble. As for going rate, I typically see them going in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500 in the condition and tooling yours is/has. Seems about twice per year they pop up either here or ebay.
Thanks for the info... I felt I should not pass it up at $500..... The guy I got it from bought it to make bowls and such and didn't realize it was a cue lathe...

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Thanks for the info... I felt I should not pass it up at $500..... The guy I got it from bought it to make bowls and such and didn't realize it was a cue lathe...

There's quite a bit missing. I didn't see much for tooling, no router or mount, collets, etc. But for $500, you didn't get hurt.