Foul or not?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The rule clearly states "DURING THE STROKE". Once the stroke is over, then the disturbed ball rule goes back into effect.

So then there needs to be a definition of stroke??

I would consider the stroke to start when the shooter is down on the ball and ends when the shooter picks up his bridge hand. Otherwise does air stroking count as beginning of stroke? What about follow thru, is stroke considered to have ended as soon a tip/cue ball contact ends?? So many questions. It would be easier if it read that cue ball foul only was suspended when an impeding ball requires jump or masse shot.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Guys iv read this site for years and never made a post. Sorry for not introducing myself earlier as I will in a diff thread but wanted to add what I have seen far too often. Locals and ameatuer players mainly beginners have enough trouble making a sturdy bridge. So if they extend out their fingers and touch a ball with a pinky or a thumb or have to bridge over a ball and move it should they lose their turn at the table? I’m just curious as to which rules people generally like better. All ball fouls seems a bit rough unless your talking about big time money matches or pro tournaments.

I tend to agree that all ball fouls is a bit severe in anything less than top level competition. Beyond the example above are the clothing touching balls when over them fouls, ya have to watch under yourself :eek:. It is more reasonable when the match has a qualified ref watching ALL shots (like in a pro snooker tournament). What match (a pro tournament playing all-balls fouls) was that in when the ref called a foul on someone because a hair on the players arm touched an incidental ball ? I am not sure that is desirable in league-level play.

Dave

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So then there needs to be a definition of stroke??

I would consider the stroke to start when the shooter is down on the ball and ends when the shooter picks up his bridge hand. Otherwise does air stroking count as beginning of stroke? What about follow thru, is stroke considered to have ended as soon a tip/cue ball contact ends?? So many questions. It would be easier if it read that cue ball foul only was suspended when an impeding ball requires jump or masse shot.

DEFINITION OF STROKE (BCAPL)
The motion of the cue from the time it begins its forward motion, through the time the cue tip strikes the cue ball, and any further follow- through motion of the cue.

The whole point of this rule is that you cannot move an impeding ball to allow the cue ball to get around or over it. There is no way that the cue ball is still behind the impeding ball after the forward motion of the cue is over. The only extreme case I can think of is that you are trying to jump at an extreme angle and the cue ball goes almost straight up such that it would land on the impeding ball, then when you backstroke you move.the impeding ball. But I claim that would be a foul under the regular disturbed ball rule.