Keeping your chalk moist

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, now I've officially read everything! This is completely backwards! Chalk SHOULD BE DRY! Nothing ruins chalk like humidity. Don't get water on your tip. Don't get water on your chalk.

I played in a poolroom during an unusually hot and humid summer, were the windows were kept open. It kept raining for weeks. All the house chalk became useless. You'd make several passes and the chalk would not adhere to the tips, or it would be very uneven. Even when you made several passes, and covered the tip pretty well, you occationally miscued. I don't know if it was sweat (the combination of salt and water) or just humidity that ruined the chalk, but it sure didn't work to well. I had to bring my own chalk from home and take it back home after playing. Leaving it in the locker at the club would ruin it.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
maybe a little more practice instead of fiddling with the chalk and you can hit where you aim on the cue ball and chalk wont be a factor.

Really? Why do pros need chalk then, if all you need to do is hit where you aim...

For the record, I play pretty sporty and hit where I want to at least 36.8% of the time.

b

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried Russan Magic Chalk, blue diamond, masters, predator and all turn to dust...

I'm gonna try the stupid carrot thing, then invent a chalk holder with a spot for a piece of carrot - step 3) profit!

b

Chalk holder with a little pocket for carrot and one for herb :)

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And to think that all these years my chalk has most likely been too moist.

I learn so much on this forum and glad to be back.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
And to think that all these years my chalk has most likely been too moist.

I learn so much on this forum and glad to be back.

If you'd like to pre order the new Carrot based chalk hydration ultimate smart system with hydrophobic holder I know a guy... It maintains perfect chalk humidity and provides an emergency snack option for those long sets.

b

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because of this forum I now know to keep a piece of carrot and a little weed in a box with my chalk. Remember don’t turn the chalk upside on the rail or better yet keep it in your pocket with the weed and the carrot. Don’t smoke the weed because it will be loaded with chalk dust unless you lick it then the carrot might turn blue, if you use blue chalk. Maybe they should just invent a rubber tip so we don’t need chalk.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Because of this forum I now know to keep a piece of carrot and a little weed in a box with my chalk. Remember don’t turn the chalk upside on the rail or better yet keep it in your pocket with the weed and the carrot. Don’t smoke the weed because it will be loaded with chalk dust unless you lick it then the carrot might turn blue, if you use blue chalk. Maybe they should just invent a rubber tip so we don’t need chalk.

At least someone has been paying attention :)

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go out and scrounge up other well used pool halls chalks and put them in your basement. see what happens. :thumbup:

We've all heard the expression "chalks free" after a missed shot, it's not. Don't steal the pool halls chalk.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Floyd_M View Post
Go out and scrounge up other well used pool halls chalks and put them in your basement. see what happens.
We've all heard the expression "chalks free" after a missed shot, it's not. Don't steal the pool halls chalk.
Here, let me make it EASIER TO READ.

. . . :shakehead: DAMN LIBS, ALWAYS PARSING.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dry Chalk -------> Very Good

Moist Chalk --------> Miscues

If it gets powdery, deal with it. It's better than miscuing. We used to have that problem in pro tournaments. The ballroom or whatever tournament room we were in would get damp overnight and the next day the chalk would be too moist. It was a nightmare. That's why everyone started carrying their own chalk.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Make yourself one of these...
They'll think you're NUTS and take you as an EZ mark.

Attachments

• chalk.jpg
    chalk.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

windKnott

Registered
I go to a local tobacco store where they sell disposable moisture packs to be used with pipe tobacco. They cost $0.99 and lasts 4-6 weeks. It turns hard when used up & does not leak. Ive used it for years with great success. Hope this helps.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In other situations folks use a piece of orange peel as a 'keep moist' toss in. Maybe that will work for chalk?

Haha! :groucho: Old school right there.
Humidi-pak don't mold or taint the flavor of your "chalk."
I've always found the opposite more desirable.
I put some Predator chalk that was gifted to me in the oven, just to see if I could lessen the pastel like schmear onto the tip. Loved the stuff after it was warmed for about 40min on lowest heat.

Last edited:

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Yeah, I have played opponents who used that "stuff". It looked like someone was practicing their painting skills with blue paint on the cue ball, I had to ask what kind of chalk he was using, it was in fact Kamui. No worries though, I do have a Diamond ball polisher, its the greatest thing since sliced bread. You would be surprised how many people that have home tables that wanna come shoot on my table, they come in carrying a set of balls too, and they are not for using on my table.:confused::confused::confused:

I think you meant, "It's the greatest thing since sliced cornbread." :rolleyes:

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Is it very hot in your basement? Maybe the lights are hot too? Maybe it's multiple factors contributing to your problem. Humidity and heat? Just a thought.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally prefer my chalk dry, but hey whatever floats your boat. :D

Any small piece of unglazed or broken ceramic can be soaked in water and will last a while depending on the humidity where you live. In a sealed plastic baggie, you can get days. You can buy a miniature terra cotta flower pot for a buck or so, break it up etc.
Old pipe and cigar trick. Mimics a clay brick in a humidor. :thumbup: