Experiments in looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pulling cue out, touching cue tip to the floor, returning cue to bridge, making spot shot, all while head is turned.

Done it many, many times. Actually did it a few days ago, showing it to someone who'd never heard of it before. ...
Although I never saw it, I heard that Irving Crane would do this for a spot shot in exhibitions. I tried it the other night. I'm not Irving Crane.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I never saw it, I heard that Irving Crane would do this for a spot shot in exhibitions. I tried it the other night. I'm not Irving Crane.
I'm not from Missouri but Oklahoma is pretty close. I gotta see this to believe it. Show me.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
You must be the greatest player in the world.
Please direct me to a video of someone doing this...pulling the cuestick out of the bridge, putting it back into the bridge, and then making the shot without even looking at the table. I'm not talking about some stupid shot a foot from the hole either...I'm talking about a real shot from maybe 6 feet away, and just to make it sportier, let's freeze the cue ball on the rail too.
As many have said before on here concerning various things....show the video of it happening or it didn't happen.
Proceed to shut me up and put me in my place...I will gladly eat crow over this one.
Photo of my "meal in readiness" is below. :thumbup:
View attachment 489731

I've no interest in putting you or anyone else "In your place." If you wish to believe it's never been done before ( let alone thousands of times by at least hundreds of players ) then by all means, don't let me stop you. And, trust me on this, I'm nowhere *near* the best player on earth.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I'm not from Missouri but Oklahoma is pretty close. I gotta see this to believe it. Show me.

Gar, give it a shot. Seriously. Set up a spot shot, address the ball, turn your head, cue, out, floor, back in, fire away. I'm betting you make it within 5 attempts, tops.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Please direct me to a video of someone doing this...pulling the cuestick out of the bridge, putting it back into the bridge, and then making the shot without even looking at the table.

Perhaps a bit of clarification would be useful. To make this shot, you would set up a spot shot, address the shot/align yourself/aim/properly cue the CB. Only then do you turn your head, remove the cue from your bridge, touch the tip to the floor, replace back into the bridge, then make the shot. From the time you initially turn your head, through removing, replacing cue from/to bridge ( helpful hint: shoot from the rail using a rail bridge. It's much easier to replace cue into a rail bridge while not looking than a closed bridge on the table ), making the shot, your head remains turned.

Hope this makes it easier to visualize.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Gar, give it a shot. Seriously. Set up a spot shot, address the ball, turn your head, cue, out, floor, back in, fire away. I'm betting you make it within 5 attempts, tops.

I tried it. I stabbed the guy standing next to the table with my cue.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
I don't touch the floor with my cue or anything but for many many years I have practiced long straight in shots with my eyes closed or head turned.

I was taught this by an old time hustler, Cotton Thomas (RIP), as a good way to get your stroke tuned up.

I think most people here that have never tried it would be surprised at how good they shot doing this.

At times my make percentage actually goes up. My thoughts are that it keeps your conscious (subconscious?) from steering the cue.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I don't touch the floor with my cue or anything but for many many years I have practiced long straight in shots with my eyes closed or head turned.

I was taught this by an old time hustler, Cotton Thomas (RIP), as a good way to get your stroke tuned up.

I think most people here that have never tried it would be surprised at how good they shot doing this.

At times my make percentage actually goes up. My thoughts are that it keeps your conscious (subconscious?) from steering the cue.

I used to shoot no-look spot shots for hours ( when my back and I were MUCH younger ). For me, it always emphasized how important being "in line" ( for the shot ) was. And make no mistake, knowing when you're "in line" is instinct ( derived from countless hours of repetition ). It's a feeling, pure and simple. If you use only your aiming point on the OB to make shots and your body is out of line ( which many people are simply from bad fundamentals ), you're constantly fighting yourself on each shot. Even if you make the balls, you're expending so much more energy than need be, which, of course, affects your stamina. And that stamina might not come into play in a single race to say, 7 or whatnot. But over the course of an entire tournament? Or matching up and playing for 30 hours straight? It adds up. Bet on it.

The first time I saw no-look in a game ( I had seen the no-look cue-out-back-in spot shot at 15 by a GREAT player in my home pool room, but never had seen no-look in a game situation ) was in Tallahassee. It was being given as a spot by a very good player named Bill Garman. I was 19 and it was fascinating. I started practicing it that same day and I've never looked back ( pun intended ). It's a great practice tool.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Whoa there Papa Rabbit....slow down and cool your heels, daddy.
Now you're crawfishing.
That's not what you said in your original post about "not necessary to see the shot".
Now you're putting the stick on the rail and the cue ball at a position for a simple half ball hit on the object ball on the spot. (that was commonplace back when we had to make spot shots in 9-Ball). Everybody knows that stuff, man.
I still want to see you do it...even from that location. Pulling that stick out, tapping the floor, putting it back in the bridge and making a spot shot with your head turned sideways....bullfeathers!
Forget the spot shot....try that on one of those long straight-ins with the CueBall frozen on the rail and the object ball about 3 feet from the pocket on a long diagonal. Like you get left with when the other guy dogs his out ball and gets you jammed on the rail.
You guys when you start cutting up jackpots are simply priceless!
Reminds me of that Don Willis lie about making the cue ball jump a table, roll down a flight of stairs, and contact the object ball out on the sidewalk....for all the cash.
I say BULL......unless someone was out on the sidewalk making a switch or something. Didn't happen and never will happen. And even if there were others in on the scam, all the losers would've done is beat hell out of him, take all their money back, and send him to the hospital for 6 months with broken ribs, legs, and a concussion.
And people wonder why pool, as a respected game, is still in the dark ages.
As Ringo Starr said..."Oh my my...oh my my"
:grin:

I'll say this, once again, politely. It makes not one iota of difference to me what you wish to believe. Period. I know precisely what I said and so does anyone else who cares to read the post ( but for those who don't want to dig back, here it is: "If your body is in line and your mechanics are sound all the way through the shot, you do not need to see either the OB or the CB to make the shot." Obviously, not needing to see either the OB or the CB to make the shot means just that, as you're making the shot ( head turned ). It does not mean walking up to the table with your head already turned so you never see either the CB or the OB. That seemed a bit "cloudy" to some people, thus the clarification ). Whether or not you think it can or cannot be done, by me or anyone else, makes no difference whatsoever. And that is said both respectfully and honestly.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Irving Crane shot that shot for years in his exhibitions, in front of probably 1000s of people over his 30-40 year career. Lining up, looking away, lifting the cue off his bridge hand and moving it around, returning the cue to his bridge and while still not looking, fired in the shot. It wasn't exclusive to him either. Its been around a long time.

He also shot it in Q-Men. Now, Im sure someone will try to discredit it because of a zoom out/video cut, but as stated before, countless 1000s of people watched him shoot it in person over the years., so arguing it as not being possible is shall we say, foolish at best.

https://youtu.be/dJnrQBLTi_k?t=4m49s

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Irving Crane shot that shot for years in his exhibitions, in front of probably 1000s of people over his 30-40 year career. Lining up, looking away, lifting the cue off his bridge hand and moving it around, returning the cue to his bridge and while still not looking, fired in the shot. It wasn't exclusive to him either. Its been around a long time.

He also shot it in Q-Men. Now, Im sure someone will try to discredit it because of a zoom out/video cut, but as stated before, countless 1000s of people watched him shoot it in person over the years., so arguing it as not being possible is shall we say, foolish at best.

https://youtu.be/dJnrQBLTi_k?t=4m49s

Chuck - I've seen it made hundreds of time by many people, some only fair players. Several people I've showed it to through the years actually made it on the first shot. It sounds far more difficult than it really is. The player who showed it to me when I was 15, Randy Brown, made it probably at an 8 out of 10 clip. Again, not that difficult but looks pretty damned impressive.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chuck - I've seen it made hundreds of time by many people, some only fair players. Several people I've showed it to through the years actually made it on the first shot. It sounds far more difficult than it really is. The player who showed it to me when I was 15, Randy Brown, made it probably at an 8 out of 10 clip. Again, not that difficult but looks pretty damned impressive.
Well Well Well......I lose. You're absolutely right, it can be done.
I watched the Irving Crane video and yes, they tinkered with the film, but that doesn't matter. He still made the shot. If he could do it, I'm sure there are a lot of others who could do it too.
Thank you for revealing this.
I am somewhat hard to convince about stuff, but when I see that I was incorrect, I will "fold my hand and call for a new deck". :smile:
Well done!
*as he begins eating his breakfast of dirty, untasty, crow*
:thumbup:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Well Well Well......I lose. You're absolutely right, it can be done.
I watched the Irving Crane video and yes, they tinkered with the film, but that doesn't matter. He still made the shot. If he could do it, I'm sure there are a lot of others who could do it too.
Thank you for revealing this.
I am somewhat hard to convince about stuff, but when I see that I was incorrect, I will "fold my hand and call for a new deck". :smile:
Well done!
*as he begins eating his breakfast of dirty, untasty, crow*
:thumbup:

Well, Chuck Fields actually revealed/posted the video, but, yeah... it can certainly be made. When I learned to make spot shots, EVERYONE shot them from the side rails. In that Crane video, that's actually the first time I've ever seen anyone shoot a spot shot from the "off" spot. I suppose he did it so it would look more difficult ( which it really isn't, but... ). Nice video, though. I had never seen Hoppe in action, so to speak, before.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and a buddy used to shoot spot shots, for a buck a shot, on a 12' snooker table set up with tight golf pockets. Ahhh the slow days.

I miss slow days at pool halls. I made a couple hundred one time because the guys in the room had no idea why the end of a tape measure moves. :thumbup: